conduit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What is that tube called or described that the wires run through to protect them from exhaust manifolds from junction block to starter ? I've googled it under several different titles and keep coming up with wiring diagrams on how to wire the starter. Mine is missing and recently burned up an alternator when they rubbed against hot exhaust and melted together.'86 k10, 305. Thanks.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
What is that tube called or described that the wires run through to protect them from exhaust manifolds from junction block to starter ? I've googled it under several different titles and keep coming up with wiring diagrams on how to wire the starter. Mine is missing and recently burned up an alternator when they rubbed against hot exhaust and melted together.'86 k10, 305. Thanks.

I just used the regular plastic split loom stuff and then routed it so there is a safe distance from anything hot (brought it immediately to the frame and ran it up along that).....

Harbor freight has the stuff super cheap ($3 for 10') in 1/4", 3/8". and 1/2" (I linked it below)

Bigger stuff and you'll need to go to an auto parts store or order it on line..

Protective Wire Wrap

:cheers:

Last edited:

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All of the parts store and HF stuff is crap. You need high temp looming underhood-I stock Delphi blue stripe split loom which is rated up to 257F heat resistance-the other stuff will literally melt. Even 60-70's cars/trucks had better OEM looming than the Chinese parts store crap-you get what you pay for. For really close areas of heat I suggest using asphalt sleeping (I have that as well) and I can offer it by the foot-lemme know what diameters you need!

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
All of the parts store and HF stuff is crap. You need high temp looming underhood-I stock Delphi blue stripe split loom which is rated up to 257F heat resistance-the other stuff will literally melt. Even 60-70's cars/trucks had better OEM looming than the Chinese parts store crap-you get what you pay for. For really close areas of heat I suggest using asphalt sleeping (I have that as well) and I can offer it by the foot-lemme know what diameters you need!

It's thinner/cheaper, yes.. But all I needed it for is organization and rub protection.. For the ground and battery cable, I reused the OEM stuff as I had ran out of new stuff anyways and just routed them so they have a safe distance from anything that creates heat...

But for me, it seems a lot wiser to just route things so they are not exposed to excess heat/physical damage in the first place... The stuff I used survived the heat gun when heat shrinking, so I am sure it will survive the heat levels it is exposed to where I have used it...

But, better quality is always better quality.. Can't argue with that... Not at all...

Thirty Five years as an industrial/commercial electrician, and a decade of working in military/aerospace electronics before/during that has left me with a pretty good feel for all things electrical..

So I disagree with you and also I agree with you...

The auto parts store stuff will get it done if you route things properly, but better quality is always better quality and is often worth the piece of mind..

Bought some of the HF stuff, but haven't even opened the package, so I 'really' can't comment on the quality of that..

But yes, there is a definite difference in wall thickness of the stuff I got from NAPA vs the stuff that was OEM... and what you are selling is no doubt 'better'..

For me though, I am confident that what I installed will last.. But I routed everything so that it really would be fine without any loom at all, It's just cleaner, more organized, and easier to strap down with it..

The high heat fiber stuff would definitely give an extra measure of protection on the battery cable...

If mine ever fails however, I will humbly eat crow and definitely agree with you all the way across the board from there on.. ;)

and even now, would probably recommend buying your stuff, seeing as you are promising a higher level of quality than is what is generally available these days... Had I known in advance, I probably would have done the same myself..

:cheers:

Last edited:

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the input gmachinz and R8rPhan. I had it in my minds eye that it was metal tubing. I'll let you know what I find out.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The only metal tubing is the factory metal sleeve behind the passenger head where the starter wires go through along with the fusible link equipped battery wires. It bolts to one of the bellhousing bolts-this particular area is the hottest underhood spot on AC equipped trucks so I'd consider re-routing those wires to the front of the motor and then down underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76