New member from Montana, '81 C10 longbed, 250 6 cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Purchased this truck about 10 years ago for $400, ran poorly but got it home 20 miles. We call it the "Beast".
You must be registered for see images attach
Came from a farm in eastern Montana originally, via several owners. Has the long bed and 4 speed transmission. It has been on the back burner due to other projects until recently. Now I have time to work on it. Over the years I have replaced the tires, shocks, alternator, water pump, and rebuilt the Rochester carb. I knew that cylinder one had very low compression, so I decided in August to pull the head and inspect it.

As purchased, tired, dirty and ugly.

As I assumed, the exhaust valve was burned in several places. After a $400 valve and head job at the local machine shop, I spent 2 days reassembling the engine. I had to find a used exhaust manifold from Minnesota since mine was cracked in several places.

Stock exhaust manifold was pretty hard to find, no substitute for the 2 barrel dual exhaust model. Mine was horrible.

Beautiful integrated manifold head after repair work.

After deleting many unnecessary items and "simplifying" the engine, I gave it a whirl and it started right up and boy does it like to go now!

Cleaner and loves to run!

Even the granddaughters (9 and 11) like to ride with me. Future projects include adding 2nd battery, better horns, seat redo, maybe carpet, a radio, brake job. Probably going to keep the body damage and rust, it adds to the character!
Welcome...

With the prices of new vehicles, especially trucks, I'd consider rebuilding and running something like this the same as an investment. Cheap, reliable transportation that will get you from here to there in the same amount of time as anything newer. And the money you saved will buy an awful lot of $4/5 gas.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Looks familiar. I removed the extra stuff, but have not had the head off. Rebuilt the carb too. Yes, It runs great (only about 85K miles), but I'm now building a 350 for the truck. It runs so nice, the 350 may never make it.

Attachments

• Ralph the Chevy c10 - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg
    Ralph the Chevy c10 - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 22

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Welcome from VA. Awesome truck. That's a steal from all you will get out of it. I'm looking forward to seeing more of The Beast.

Daron58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 I6
welcome from south Louisiana, I’ve got the same truck but is a 75 C10 I love my 250 I6 motor with a sm 465 behind it, not a speed demon by any means but will pull hell off the cross, have thought about a V-8 upgrade but not likely. Good luck with your project

David King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Welcome from NW Florida. Looks like you are going to have fun with your project. Buddy of mine has a place in Seely Lake, beautiful country!

Number 6

Reaction score
First Name
C.O.
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Will a straight 6 swap with 5.7 work? Right now looking using a 305ci.
I know, I know...

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Will a straight 6 swap with 5.7 work? Right now looking using a 305ci.
I know, I know...
You bet it will. Everything is compatible, but, you may need to upgrade transmission and brakes.. That's what I'm going to do.

DRW65

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Welcome from East Texas!

pinballlarry1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 6 cylinder
The likelihood of me taking out the 6 and putting in a V-8 are the same as hitting the powerball. And even if I could afford that, I still wouldn't do it, I like stock originality for the most part.
I received my original invoice today from GM Heritage. Easy to order with the VIN and $50, took 4 days total:

I really did not learn anything new except for the prices, not sure I would have spent the $50 for just this one page if I had known.
Very happy that my truck appears to have many upgrades for a 1/2 ton. Still able to work on the truck, dual battery installation is in progress.

pinballlarry1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 6 cylinder
FYI DISCLAIMER:
Any and all repairs, modifications, alterations and additions that I make to my truck are my choice and responsibility alone. Do not misconstrue any of my choices and decisions as advice, recommendations or guidance in making your own personal choices and decisions. thank you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag