New member from Montana, '81 C10 longbed, 250 6 cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pinballlarry1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 6 cylinder
Purchased this truck about 10 years ago for $400, ran poorly but got it home 20 miles. We call it the "Beast".
You must be registered for see images attach
Came from a farm in eastern Montana originally, via several owners. Has the long bed and 4 speed transmission. It has been on the back burner due to other projects until recently. Now I have time to work on it. Over the years I have replaced the tires, shocks, alternator, water pump, and rebuilt the Rochester carb. I knew that cylinder one had very low compression, so I decided in August to pull the head and inspect it.

As purchased, tired, dirty and ugly.

As I assumed, the exhaust valve was burned in several places. After a $400 valve and head job at the local machine shop, I spent 2 days reassembling the engine. I had to find a used exhaust manifold from Minnesota since mine was cracked in several places.

Stock exhaust manifold was pretty hard to find, no substitute for the 2 barrel dual exhaust model. Mine was horrible.

Beautiful integrated manifold head after repair work.

Put a little gas in the carb, gave it a whirl and it started right up and boy does it like to go now!

Cleaner and loves to run!

Even the granddaughters (9 and 11) like to ride with me. Future projects include adding 2nd battery, better horns, seat redo, maybe carpet, a radio, brake job. Probably going to keep the body damage and rust, it adds to the character!

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Nice lookin' ride! Shoot us some interior pix.

pinballlarry1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 6 cylinder
thanks for all the welcomes! I will have to take pics of the interior, it is very basic and plain. But here are some more pictures of the engine, amazing how much smoother it runs, I can tell a huge difference having all 6 cylinders making power. Odometer reads 154,000 but I think someone has been inside this engine before me. Some nuts and bolts had wrench marks and several lock washers were not installed.
Head assembly as removed:

cylinder #1 valves, I could see that the exhaust valve was not round:

#1 exhaust valve had 2 areas of erosion, all 11 other valves were in excellent conditon:

After cleaning, machining, new valve:

This head is very heavy and I am now 66, not as strong as in my youth, had to have a friend help set it on the block:

more later!

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow, nice pickup!
I owned an '81 Custom Deluxe SWB C/10, 250, 3 speed on the column for 11 years, it was my daily driver. Very simple and reliable. I bought mine used for $1,400 in Alaska.
Thank you for sharing the photos and welcome from northwest Arizona.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
NC welcomes you to the site. 6cyl/4-speed says "put me to work"! I love it and thanks for the pics.

HS

pinballlarry1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 6 cylinder
Here is the interior, pretty plain vanilla I think. But I do love vanilla! Seat had a cover on it until recently, I took it off. Floors look ok, just rust around the door openings. I have the plastic sill plates and new door weather stripping for a summer project. It had a non-functional AM radio, hoping to find one that works someday, there are no speakers anywhere in the dash or cab. Not sure about carpet or the original rubber floor mat yet. All glass is good. Padded dash cover is bad.

The seat foam is worn down about 1", I just sit on it as is:

Original dash is ok, but someone put a rough square hole over by the headlight switch, function unknown. I added a manual choke when I rebuilt the carb:

Seat is still comfortable, looks like passenger side was hardly ever used:

Floor is very good with minor rust in a few areas:

welcome aboard:

It's getting very cold and occasional snow here in Western Montana, the Beast will be hibernating soon. Projects go on hold until April usually.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad