Charging system WEIRDNESS, need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
84 K-10 with 350.
For a couple years I have had an issue with what appeared to be a weak alternator, so today I grabbed a spare from the shelf, installed a rebuild kit, and swapped them in the truck.
At idle I get about 10.5 volts, NOTHING but the engine running to use any power.
Rev the engine and volts climb to 13.
Let gas pedal go back to an idle and volts drop to about 10.5 again.
What should I be looking for to find the problem ?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm curious where you got the rebuild kit? The only place I knew that you could still get alternator rebuild kits was Fleet Farm. But they recently discontinued stocking those kits.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I'm curious where you got the rebuild kit? The only place I knew that you could still get alternator rebuild kits was Fleet Farm. But they recently discontinued stocking those kits.
Bought on ebay, 26 bucks and change, free shipping.
Complete kit.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
If you are sure that your rebuild is solid I'd be looking for a high resistance wire. I once had a mid-90's Grand Cherokee in at the shop doing pretty much what you are describing. Part of the main charge wire insulation had broken down, moisture got in and the wire corroded creating high resistance. The alternator could only over come this when the engine was reved up. Other than that check grounds, and battery terminal and associated connections. Not sure how much this all helps but it's what I have.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
If you are sure that your rebuild is solid I'd be looking for a high resistance wire. I once had a mid-90's Grand Cherokee in at the shop doing pretty much what you are describing. Part of the main charge wire insulation had broken down, moisture got in and the wire corroded creating high resistance. The alternator could only over come this when the engine was reved up. Other than that check grounds, and battery terminal and associated connections. Not sure how much this all helps but it's what I have.
Thanks, I will get the alternator tested to make sure the rebuild went well, but the truck did the same thing with the old alternator.
How do I test the wires for high resistance ?
If the problem doesn't get figured out, the truck is no good to me and is going away, might save the 383 stroker for my other truck and scrap the rest of the K-10.
Shame to see a no rust truck go bye-bye, but it happens, and it would save me on plates and insurance costs every year.

Last edited:

ReefkoiC10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS3
What about pulley size? Since it gets better when the RPM is higher?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is it possible that the belt is slipping?

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Is it possible that the belt is slipping?
I don't think so, I'm sure it would make some kind of squealing noise if it was slipping.
I can grab the alternator fan, spin it and it moves the cooling fan pulley on the water pump, but it isn't easy to make it spin.
I will try tightening the belt some more in the morning, but not gonna hold my breath that it'll be fixed.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks, I will get the alternator tested to make sure the rebuild went well, but the truck did the same thing with the old alternator.
If the problem doesn't get figured out, the truck is no good to me and is going away, might save the 383 stroker for my other truck and scrap the rest of the K-10.
Shame to see a no rust truck go bye-bye, but it happens, and it would save me on plates and insurance costs every year.
As you know the charging circuit is relatively simple on these trucks. I mean you could run any large gauge wire off the back of the alternator to the battery as a test wire. Fire it up and see if it still does it.

I'm just curious is this the same truck you were having trouble with the control arm bushings a while back?

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
As you know the charging circuit is relatively simple on these trucks. I mean you could run any large gauge wire off the back of the alternator to the battery as a test wire. Fire it up and see if it still does it.

I'm just curious is this the same truck you were having trouble with the control arm bushings a while back?
Nope, this is my 4x4 I use only as an emergency backup when we get a storm here and the roads get muddy and I absolutely HAVE to be able to get out.
For me to use the 4x4 truck on dry roads, somebody had better be dying or their house on fire.
The truck with the control arms issue is a two wheel drive, and it HATES any mud at all, and six miles to pavement (or driving back in) is impossible in that truck in muddy conditions.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't think so, I'm sure it would make some kind of squealing noise if it was slipping.
I can grab the alternator fan, spin it and it moves the cooling fan pulley on the water pump, but it isn't easy to make it spin.
I will try tightening the belt some more in the morning, but not gonna hold my breath that it'll be fixed.

Sounds like it's tight enough. A little deflection in the belt is good, too tight isn't good for the belt or the alternator either.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Your exciter wire isn't exciting. This is why one wire alternators suck btw.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Your exciter wire isn't exciting. This is why one wire alternators suck btw.
Try again ........
I have battery voltage at the red wire in the two prong connector, key off.
I have battery voltage at the small black wire when key is on.
I ran a heavy wire from the battery positive post to the alternator battery terminal, NO CHANGE, the truck still has the issue.
And no, the belt isn't slipping.
What's weird is, engine running, revved to get 13 volts on the meter, then let the truck idle.
Voltage drops around a half a volt and stays there for about 15 - 20 seconds, then it drops way down.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Try again ........
I have battery voltage at the red wire in the two prong connector, key off.
I have battery voltage at the small black wire when key is on.
I ran a heavy wire from the battery positive post to the alternator battery terminal, NO CHANGE, the truck still has the issue.
And no, the belt isn't slipping.
What's weird is, engine running, revved to get 13 volts on the meter, then let the truck idle.
Voltage drops around a half a volt and stays there for about 15 - 20 seconds, then it drops way down.
Gee Kevin, kind of looking like an alternator problem. I'm sure you would have noticed this but I'm going to say it anyway, the truck isn't idling to slow by chance? I know your not very close to town, would it be easier to swap the known good alternator out of your other truck as a test unit?

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Gee Kevin, kind of looking like an alternator problem. I'm sure you would have noticed this but I'm going to say it anyway, the truck isn't idling to slow by chance? I know your not very close to town, would it be easier to swap the known good alternator out of your other truck as a test unit?
That is a good test, if it wasn't so hot outside and if I had the energy to do it.
Truck isn't idling too slow but good thought anyway.
It's possible the rebuild kit i bought has at least one defective part, and if that's the case I will see about a refund from the seller.
MAYBE O'Reilly's alternator tester machine can show up any problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmballow02