Charging system WEIRDNESS, need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Was 84
Truck Model
01 Sienna
Engine Size
Same here a long time ago, it was a ground, ground it and cleaned it, and all the connects, finally worked. another time, I replaced the old (crusty inside) cables, all worked after. Peeled the insulation back and found the odd issue.
Another time, the internal regulator quit regulatin' juice.
Also have cleaned or cut off cable ends, clean up and reattach clamps, voila'.
A simple tester, can show the resistance issue. Sometimes, replacing a ground wire, or simply cleaning connections makes a difference.
Kinda' like my last relationship, serious resistance showed up 2 years after an overhaul and had to let it go.
Like an old engineer mechanic once said; "sometimes, the best way to handle a problem, is to eliminate it."

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Like an old engineer mechanic once said; "sometimes, the best way to handle a problem, is to eliminate it."
That's exactly my thinking too, if it isn't an easy fix, the truck is going away by ANY MEANS POSSIBLE, I am not going to spend any money on it at this point.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
That's exactly my thinking too, if it isn't an easy fix, the truck is going away by ANY MEANS POSSIBLE, I am not going to spend any money on it at this point.
Shop it to Maine. I’ll gladly take a rust free truck with any and all gremlins

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
My one good neighbor came over today and helped me, we did a hydrometer test on the battery, the float was into the red and electrolyte was a tad low, so we added distilled water and ran a battery charger.
We do suspect a battery issue as a contributing factor.
Cleaned all battery connections and grounds, and I increased the engine idle speed a tad.
Replaced the fan belt with a new one that sits a tad higher in the pulley.
Still has the same issue.
Less than 12 volts at idle, rev engine and max out at 13, let engine return to idle, the 13 volts will hang there a minute then drop back down.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Are you by chance using the stock voltmeter to measure this? Or using a volt meter right on the battery?

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Are you by chance using the stock voltmeter to measure this? Or using a volt meter right on the battery?
Using the in dash factory voltmeter as well as an expensive fluke meter and my trusty radio shack digital meter at the battery and comparing the readings.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The 2 volt drop, usually is one bad diode. You need to separate the wires from both the positive and negative diode heat sink blocks. Check each diode separately. You do not need to remove the diodes from the blocks for testing.

The other issue could be the grounding case of the diode could be corroded. So when you check them, one lead to the diode wire, the other lead to the block.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
The 2 volt drop, usually is one bad diode. You need to separate the wires from both the positive and negative diode heat sink blocks. Check each diode separately. You do not need to remove the diodes from the blocks for testing.

The other issue could be the grounding case of the diode could be corroded. So when you check them, one lead to the diode wire, the other lead to the block.
The rebuild kit came with brand new diode assembly, but it could be defective.
All metal to metal connections within the alternator were clean and shiny.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
The results of the test of the rebuilt alternator : Rectifier - FAIL. Diodes - FAIL. Regulator - FAIL.
Now, the big question is if a defective stator or rotor would cause any or all of those readings on the test machine.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The results of the test of the rebuilt alternator : Rectifier - FAIL. Diodes - FAIL. Regulator - FAIL.
Now, the big question is if a defective stator or rotor would cause any or all of those readings on the test machine.
I'm not sure if that is good news or bad, but at least your getting somewhere.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

If you alternator was tested on a machine, whole and not each part separately, then one bad diode could give all those results. The six diodes, 3 positive and 3 negative all make the rectifier assembly. The voltage is not correct because of the diodes, so it lists as a fail.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Back when I was on the electrical bench rebuilding alternators, would start with full disassembly. Each part was tested separately. You would see any failed parts. Then new bearings, brushes, springs, regulator and a trio-diode if had one. Parts were all made in USA back then.

At some point the bearings were no longer made in USA and we had some fail. We discovered that the imported sealed bearings had very little grease. So each new bearing we popped one side seal out and packed it with grease.

To this day, any sealed ball bearing I use, gets opened and checked or filled with grease.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Back when I was on the electrical bench rebuilding alternators, would start with full disassembly. Each part was tested separately. You would see any failed parts. Then new bearings, brushes, springs, regulator and a trio-diode if had one. Parts were all made in USA back then.

At some point the bearings were no longer made in USA and we had some fail. We discovered that the imported sealed bearings had very little grease. So each new bearing we popped one side seal out and packed it with grease.

To this day, any sealed ball bearing I use, gets opened and checked or filled with grease.
It's sad but true, "they don't make anything like they used to and hardly anybody puts pride in their work".

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
"Pride in work"....back when I started wrenching, I tried to make everything I worked on like my Bride was gonna drive it, then after 14 or so years, like my Daughter was gonna drive it, now since about 1999 like my Grandaughter was gonna drive it.........take NO chances!!!!

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
MYSTERY SOLVED: Defective battery.
I had no reason to suspect it could be the cause as I have had absolutely zero problems with it and it has held a charge and done its job flawlessly.
I feel a tad stupid now, expecting something more complicated being the issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HectorGarcia415