Charging issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeyLionHeart

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
78 c20 I put a new alternator and battery in and on a cold start I get about 15 volts charging, but when I turn it off and start it again I'm down to 12. If I turn anything on electrical at this point it just drains the battery. Any ideas what's happening, she was fine one day then all this started.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It's a very simple charging circuit. You can look up a better diagram in the wiring diagram here >>> https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/1973-1991-wiring-manuals.14498/ <<< I you want to know wire colors.

You must be registered for see images attach

Internally regulated alternator.
#1. is this the same thing it was doing with the old alternator
#2. Brand of alternator you purchased and was it new or reman'd. There are problems with cardone reman'd products and they reman a lot of alternators that end up being rebranded, for example NAPA reman alternators are cardones.

The 15 volt, then no voltage makes me think the alternator you purchased likely has a defective regulator in it, but that's just kind of my gut feeling.

Here is some troubleshooting info.

You must be registered for see images attach