Carb help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok I have an 80 k10 350 motor that was rwbuilt over 5 year ago. Most likely 10yr. Owner before me said he rebuild it out a mild cam in and bored it .30 over I believe. No paperwork but doing a compression test they were all at 145-150. So would a holly 650cfm work or would an 600cfm work? I think 700 or more would just be to big and to start to get over fueled.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I would go with the 650

Doug80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not a fan of them but will keep that in mind lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
All of the above would work fine. 600, 650 or the 780 OEM Quadrajet with the proper metering rods will do fine.

Why are you not a fan of Qjet? Get one rebuilt PROPERLY, it'll be the best carb you can put on it and have more tuning options and room to grow later on the down the road. Bush the throttle shafts and epoxy the well plugs and the common problems are fixed. Smaller metering rods/jets to detune it to match your motor and go with it. Change cams, heads and such, you can always retune it and put in bigger metering rods/jets and not have to buy another carb.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
All of the above would work fine. 600, 650 or the 780 OEM Quadrajet with the proper metering rods will do fine.

Why are you not a fan of Qjet? Get one rebuilt PROPERLY, it'll be the best carb you can put on it and have more tuning options and room to grow later on the down the road. Bush the throttle shafts and epoxy the well plugs and the common problems are fixed. Smaller metering rods/jets to detune it to match your motor and go with it. Change cams, heads and such, you can always retune it and put in bigger metering rods/jets and not have to buy another carb.

^^XX2

I see that Summit is selling rebuilt Q-jets for $325. Im not sure if they have the throttle shafts re bushed or the fuel plugs sealed properly/ But I would think they do.

They also sell a JET Q-jet for $379 and they do have both bushings and plugs, so that would be a good option and they are priced about the same as any new carb.

It is a fact though that a good Q-jet will out perform any other brand new carb by a mile.

The only reason I am using another carb is because I got sick of the fuel well plugs leaking. But that can be fixed properly for good. I just didn't have the time to do it. I intend on running my rebuilt Q-jet when ever I get it done. In fact I pulled my old 2101 intake out today and started cleaning it up cause Im sick of how poor these other carbs perform compared to a Q-jet.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Those big reman shop quadrajets from summit and other parts stores are junk. I have had several in my shop that are beyond repair. They typically use MIS matched parts to assemble a genetic carb.
I have seen epoxied seat for needle/seat, when threads were stripped. They plug bypass air and change up the factory settings, which were very accurate for specific vehicle.

My prices are comparable for a custom built quadrajet specific for intended use.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes a custom build with a good core will be better.

That has been my experience with those autoline carbs in the past. They would use throttle plates or air horns from different carbs but they never straightened them so they would bind when trying to re assemble them. If that's what the summit ones are like then I would avoid those too.

Im doing my own full rebuild with my good non warped cores that I have:)

Last edited:

Johnny85

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hey what'd you end up going with? I'm thinking about the 650 with mechanical choke. Just wondering how you made out?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1