Car seat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Is there any way to safely install my rear facing car seat in my 84 k10? It would only be for times when his mom has the SUV.

I know people's have always done it, but I'm asking if it's safe to do so. All I can find online is turn off the airbag which doesn't apply to my truck.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Is it ever safe in an old vehicle? You do what you have to, and hope to never wreck. Of course it isn't as safe as a new car, SUV, or truck.

Crumple zones, airbags, all that jazz.

Want real safety get a Volvo. My family was in a head on with an illegal, we were going 50mph in our V50, and he was going alot faster. We are here today because of that car.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Is it ever safe in an old vehicle? You do what you have to, and hope to never wreck. Of course it isn't as safe as a new car, SUV, or truck.

Crumple zones, airbags, all that jazz.

Want real safety get a Volvo. My family was in a head on with an illegal, we were going 50mph in our V50, and he was going alot faster. We are here today because of that car.

Damn right, I got my wife an xc70 when our daughter was born.

I was being an ******* and wrecked the crap out of an old 760 turbo I bought cheap on craigslist when I was a kid. Took down 3 trees at about 70mph, my friend and I were able to safely get out and run away... lol. Only injury was a cut on my buddy's eyebrow from banging his head off the B pillar because he was lounging way back in the seat. Volvos are super freaking safe, even old ones.

But to answer the main question, it's not any more unsafe for your kid to ride in it as it is for you to ride in. Is it as safe as a new car? Of course not, but as long as the car seat is secured properly it should be no different than having a regular passenger for the most part. I mean we all grew up riding around in old stuff and we lived to tell about it. But obviously try not to crash, car accidents are no good for people (especially babies) no matter what you're driving.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is my mom's 850 (I added the phrase for her - told her I was going to make t-shirts lol).

You must be registered for see images attach

Came over a blind spot and a van had come to a complete stop to make an illegal turn across a blvd. Zero brakes - full on 60mph hit. Van went 200+ ft into a field. All 4 doors still opened - cabin was totally intact. She gets out and waits for the cops. They freak out - couldn't believe she was in that car. Send her to the hospital for precautions and find out later she had a slightly fractured hip (right side - she had arthritis and didn't know it) and a broken wrist from the airbag.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I was a police officer for 27 years and was trained to do this. Seats have changed since I was doing it, but the info is good.

You can safely mount it in the cab of your truck. You can install it in the middle or passenger side. For the passenger beat make sure you fully extend the belt till you hear it start to ratchet. Feed the belt though the base or seat depending on what type you have. Attached the seat belt bucket and start pulling on the upper portion of the 3 point belt to tighten. We actually used to kneel in the seat or base to really pull the belt tight. You don't want the seat to be able to move side to side.

For those with leather seats we used to use the no-slip shelf level for motor homes to keep it from siding. To level the seat base, we used swim noodles cut to fit.

Check you local PD or hospital. Some will do the install for you.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I know of a family who lost their 3 yr old from a car seat. It was a simple roll over and the seat came loose and that was it. The extra weight of the seat is what killed the child.
I think they are like seat belts, sometime they save you and other times they are a liability.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know of a family who lost their 3 yr old from a car seat. It was a simple roll over and the seat came loose and that was it. The extra weight of the seat is what killed the child.
I think they are like seat belts, sometime they save you and other times they are a liability.
Don't you think this is the problem:

More than this:

That’s what I was going to say the car seat came loose or the cars seat? If anything the car seat would have protected the child from the seat “crushing” the child. Something some were or multiple somethings weren’t done properly.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I usually don't take my daughter anywhere in the Burb, but when I do she goes in the center of the 2nd row seat. Instead of using a pool noodle I roll up a bath towel that's folded in half and put that behind the seat to level it, and I kneel on the car-seat when tightening up the belt so it cranks down into the seat fabric instead of being able to move side to side. Is it the safest setup in the world? Probably not, but it's not as sketchy as you'd think. As long as the car-seat is firmly attached to the seat, it's just as secure and rigid as the seat itself/ any other passenger in the truck. Just as good as we had in the 80s-90s, we're still here

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Having installed the 2016 seat in my truck gives me the latch hoops that the newer cars use. So when I secure my car seats forward or rear facing, they’re secure.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I have 3 car seats in my 1990 suburban daily for my kids of 6, 5, and 5. As long as the seats are strapped in properly and tight, I dont see it as any different then when I used to strap them in my 2004 suburban daily.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
The only problem I have is trying to get my own seatbelt on AND off in my Colorado(old and slow)!!

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I usually don't take my daughter anywhere in the Burb, but when I do she goes in the center of the 2nd row seat. Instead of using a pool noodle I roll up a bath towel that's folded in half and put that behind the seat to level it, and I kneel on the car-seat when tightening up the belt so it cranks down into the seat fabric instead of being able to move side to side. Is it the safest setup in the world? Probably not, but it's not as sketchy as you'd think. As long as the car-seat is firmly attached to the seat, it's just as secure and rigid as the seat itself/ any other passenger in the truck. Just as good as we had in the 80s-90s, we're still here

Exactly where my youngest goes. I kneeled down in his seat, and used my head and shoulders against the roof to make that thing as tight as if it were bolted down. Lol, he is secure.

When I was younger we had an old car that didn't originally have seat belts in the back, and the law said you didn't have to add any. I remember those being some great times.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
If we put the car seat into my 84 k10 it'll be because me, my wife, and my child all want to go somewhere local that's off the main road a little bit.

I will probably put the car seat in the middle if it will fit.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
I was a police officer for 27 years and was trained to do this. Seats have changed since I was doing it, but the info is good.

You can safely mount it in the cab of your truck. You can install it in the middle or passenger side. For the passenger beat make sure you fully extend the belt till you hear it start to ratchet. Feed the belt though the base or seat depending on what type you have. Attached the seat belt bucket and start pulling on the upper portion of the 3 point belt to tighten. We actually used to kneel in the seat or base to really pull the belt tight. You don't want the seat to be able to move side to side.

For those with leather seats we used to use the no-slip shelf level for motor homes to keep it from siding. To level the seat base, we used swim noodles cut to fit.

Check you local PD or hospital. Some will do the install for you.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't think the seat belts in my old truck have the ratcheting function. I guess I can use the middle lap belt and cinch it down really tightly. I usually end up using my knee to push the base down when tightening the base in my wife's car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising