Can she do it, hot shot towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Back in the day I had a '76 K20 350/350 and 4.10 rear ends. I pulled a loaded goose neck from MO to WY. That was some trip. I got 4mpg and was down to 40mph on some of the hills. I never did that again.
And that's with 4.10's and probably close to stock size tires. Sounds about right.

Rlwalker

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's a 3/4 ton long bed, but it seems that this setup is a no go for long distance hauling. I'll find something newer and keep the k10 for moving my car trailer I appreciate all the responses and advice

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Confused, is this a half ton or 3/4 ton , 2wd or 4wd??

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's a 3/4 ton long bed, but it seems that this setup is a no go for long distance hauling. I'll find something newer and keep the k10 for moving my car trailer I appreciate all the responses and advice

K10 is a half ton designation. If you have a 3/4 ton, you have a K20. It does make a difference on this site to have it correct. Just saying. And I would agree with everyone else, even with a 3/4 ton, you are going to get sick of that setup real quick.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The thing about towing, every truck is rated by the manufacture for what it can safely tow. Sure you can beef it up, brakes, axles etc. but you still need to get it re-registered for the new specs. In Pennsylvania this would involve a safety inspector to sign off on it.

If you did not change the registration, and were in an accident, it would be your fault no manner what. A lawyer could prove you should not have even been on the road towing more that the truck was designed to tow.

I know every state has different rules, but every state has lawyers.

The other issue here in PA, unless you know the inspector, and he/she knows you, it will be hard to re-register a 34 year old truck for more capacity.

I've said this to people in the past and it seems to fall on deaf ears more often than not. In my opinion it's one thing to run over weight now and then on shorter trips it's another thing to do it full time and "If you did not change the registration, and were in an accident, it would be your fault no manner what", that is true in many states.

Setting all of that aside I use to have a class C RV a 1977 on a dodge chassis with the 360, and I towed a car with it at times. Yes that kind of thing can be done but it'll be slow on hills and increase wear. Forget about TBI you'll never see a fuel economy increase with you foot to the floor.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

I missed this post when scanning through earlier. I would just add this in case the OP doesn't know, if it's a K10 it's a 1/2 ton if it's a 3/4ton then it's a K20. For the sake of what I'm about to write I'm going to assume it's K10. Each truck K10 - 20 - 30 as you go up is going to be more capable in the towing and hauling. I'm also of the opinion that while 4X4 can be very useful but a 2wd is slightly better suited for on road towing, simply because the heavy 4X4 components take away from towing and hauling capacities. Back in the day the C-30 with a lower geared rearend and 454 was considered the **** for towing. I'm not kidding, is the modern turbo diesel better for towing sure, but the old C-30's with the 454 were where it was at in that time period. If you want to do the kind of work your talking about with a classic truck keep your K-10 for personal use and get yourself a C-30 with 454 and have fun out there, just be sure to do your home work and make sure the truck will legally tow what you want to tow.

Rlwalker

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a c30 but the cab is rusted gone. 454 with granny low 4.10 rear my dads old truck. I was hoping the k20 would do the job and it does have the 3/4 ton axels under it, kinda a put together truck might just invest in the regular cab c30 some money and time will be spent there.

Last edited:

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have a c30 but the cab is rusted gone. 454 with granny low 4.10 rear my dads old truck. I was hoping the k20 would do the job and it does have the 3/4 ton axels under it, kinda a put together truck might just invest in the regular cab c30 some money and time will be spent there.

That's an easy decision. If you have a c30 with a 454 and SM465 with 4.10 rear, that's your tow rig.
Swap the cab and be done.
You have a stronger frame, suspension, axles, trans... than a k10 or k20.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

There is nothing wrong with a put together truck, I've done axle and spring upgrades in trucks I've had in the past but again do remember in the eyes of the law it's a 1/2 ton.

That's an easy decision. If you have a c30 with a 454 and SM465 with 4.10 rear, that's your tow rig.
Swap the cab and be done.
You have a stronger frame, suspension, axles, trans... than a k10 or k20.
That's what I'd do.

I imagine the gas mileage would be extremely bad though with the 454 8mpg or less?
I would expect 6 - 8mpg, but keep in mind a modern gas engine towing like that is probably going to fall in the 8 - 10mpg range, and you won't have a truck payment. Keep in mind you'll get your best mileage if you keep it under 55 - 60mph.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I imagine the gas mileage would be extremely bad though with the 454 8mpg or less?
5mpg or less with that kind of weight. But it is the better choice for certain. I'd call that one marginal at best, and I still think that's even a far stretch to do full time. I'd give it a try and see what kind of money you make. If really get's off the ground then you need to get a more modern truck. Start the biz with intent for a short term plan to upgrade. Personally I'd want something with 4.56 or even lower gears in the rear and an NV4500 transmission with OD on stock size tires.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Being subjected to that kind of work, the mileage of a small block isn't going to be any better.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Being subjected to that kind of work, the mileage of a small block isn't going to be any better.
Do you mean Big Block? No, it's not. But with smaller tires, and a bit lower gear ratio, it'll do better than the K20 for certain. You didn't really hot shotters in the 80's and there's a reason for that.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do you mean Big Block? No, it's not. But with smaller tires, and a bit lower gear ratio, it'll do better than the K20 for certain. You didn't really hot shotters in the 80's and there's a reason for that.

Yeah, compared to a big block. When it comes to heavy loads, there's no such thing as gas sipping. General use and towing, my 454 Suburban gets the same mpg figures as the company Super Duty trucks with the fancy modern 6.2 gasser and 6-speed auto trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB