Can she do it, hot shot towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
It's a 3/4 ton long bed, but it seems that this setup is a no go for long distance hauling. I'll find something newer and keep the k10 for moving my car trailer I appreciate all the responses and advice

I used to tow my 5th wheel around with my '77 K20. I thought it did pretty good with the 400. Eventually I bought a 2003 Silverado 2500HD long bed, extended cab. The truck alone weighed 2,000 lbs more than my '77. It had the 8.1L and a 6 speed manual. Now THAT towed well. And in comfort. I couldn't believe how quiet that engine was. Had ice cold AC, and a nice stereo, not much wind noise. I would drive it 11 hours straight to get to the Oregon coast and was fine. For going up hills I had the choice of 4th, 5th, or 6th.

For LONG highway trips I have to say I'm not much of a fan of using a square anymore.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Tbi 350 would be in the right lane. When towing 20ft trailer with a car on it using my 3/4 suburban I pretty much would leave it at full throttle if there was any hill. But it did manage to keep around 70mph if hill was not too steep. Was about 7-8mpg towing. The 97 1 ton with vortec 7.4 and 5 speed was great towing. And it had better mpg towing than what I get now with the suburban.
8.1 with 6 speed would be even better.

I really like towing corvettes. They are light and not much drag. Having a full size suburban hanging out back on a trailer makes a big difference

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi everyone, new here. I have a k10 4x4 350 with granny low, 373 rear gear, 780 carb, 36inch tires. 8 inch lift. I am looking to get into hotshot towing, moving freight or car hauling. I'm wondering if the k10 can do it and not be turn to high of rpm with the 373, pulling a 30 to 35ft trailer 500mi plus trips. I plan on converting to tbi for better mpg, and getting 33 in tires drop to 4 inch lift. What are y'alls opinions can she do it
I think margins are very tight in that business. My guess is that you will burn up a lot of fuel. But your truck is paid for so may work on shorter hails that can be done quick? I think your problem will be that you can't pull a huge three car trailer loaded so your profit per trip will be down...but again those guys with new rigs have an $800 payment that you don't? I do think your going to be slower than they will be in other trucks.

I personally would not try it but it would not be too expensive to maybe rent a trailer at first and do a few pulls and see.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I believe that most shippers require a certain year and newer truck and a certain cgvw to consider letting you haul for them. I would haul locally because there’s probably more money in it for the time spent doing it.

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
I believe that most shippers require a certain year and newer truck and a certain cgvw to consider letting you haul for them. I would haul locally because there’s probably more money in it for the time spent doing it.
can you imagine the look on the insurance agents face? "could you repeat that please?" with a what?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

The state here has done the same for tow rigs. You can still tow with whatever you want, but if you are going to be on Law Enforcement Rotation, they now how stricted as far as age and type of equipment to be used. Can't be using no Holmes 440 and 750 anymore. Must have hydro lifts, not electric, must have under reach, extendable boom etc.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The state here has done the same for tow rigs. You can still tow with whatever you want, but if you are going to be on Law Enforcement Rotation, they now how stricted as far as age and type of equipment to be used. Can't be using no Holmes 440 and 750 anymore. Must have hydro lifts, not electric, must have under reach, extendable boom etc.

They have done that in my state as well. Interestingly enough there was an old local boy who used a 1960's GMC truck in his towing business until his death in the early 90s. He was a one man operation and lived in a "trailer" in his "tow yard", it wasn't a pretty picture at all.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
They have done that in my state as well. Interestingly enough there was an old local boy who used a 1960's GMC truck in his towing business until his death in the early 90s. He was a one man operation and lived in a "trailer" in his "tow yard", it wasn't a pretty picture at all.

1 thing there though, for those guys that still have those old dinosaur units. If they bring out their more modern equipment and start the job and then realize they need another truck for support, like say a catch truck. Some don't realize, when you upright a loaded trailer, on the bounce, it can go all the way over the way, ORRRRRRRRR drop to fast causing a load shift and then the freight blows out the side walls of the trailer and now you have a load of freight on the freeway adding 3-5 more hours of clean up. So if they want to bring in their dinosaur to use as a support truck or catch truck to ease the trailer down as it comes over, noone ever has an issue with that. Or they have the option to call another company to come in with their truck or trucks to assist in recovery efforts, so long as it's done in a timely fashion. The big reason for modern equipment is time. Not only to get highways open faster, but ripping off the customers and insurance companies because of logging longer times for recovery and clean up. So only the best companies with best trained help and equipment are wanted on the law enforcement calls. Anyone have an idea what an upright of a semi costs? Pretty much, $10,000 is a bare minimum and they can go up as high as $40,000 if you start talking about haz mat loads and such. The last load of fruit I worked on carrying 3 skid steers to the crash site, 2 for loading the fruilt into roll off dumpsters and 1 for scrubbing the pavement and then the fire dept hosed that down. Looked like nothing happened when were done. About 6 hours which was quick. But we had 2 heavy units, and 2 support trucks being the rollbacks, 3 skid steers and about 7 men and the boss and the scene director for a total of 8, the bill was $28,000. Oh and add the 2 drivers in the roll off trucks that were dropping roll offs and hauling them off and then bringing another back after they dropped at the dump. So that was also included in the $28,000 we billed. We had to pay the roll off company, IIRC, the roll off bill we paid on that one was $3500.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85