Bvllsh!t on craigslist.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nice, but I think to much $$. $3K vehcile IMO. Maybe $4K if I wanted it real bad since it has a new crate motor and is FobuhFo.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HA im just a sucker for REDHEADS lol

Not me brah. I've had my share of redheads, and the only 1 good thing about them is in the bedroom, but past that, its all bad. To much drama assiciated with them, and there is plenty of others just as much fun and actually a little better even without all the drama. Just seems the reds are easier to get into is all. :rofl:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I wouldn't mind having a set either. But, I'm gonna have to do some research or get some maching work done. I don't recall the spec now, and I know you will, what is the max lift that can be used on Vortec heads? I need more than that. I can I wanted to use has a .525 lift and might even use a 1.6 ratio rocker arm making it even more. If I get to carry out that project, it'll be an 8000+ rpm motor. Then again, plan B is just to stroke it to a 383 and not need as much cam for the result I'm looking for, but still it will be more lift than OEM Vortec can handle. :shrug: I've got to many ideas and I can't keep track of them all.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
.467" I believe, Andy was telling me .470" I think. Considering how well they flow between .400" and .450" I would rather find a cam that can work with that lift and rock it, instead of putting more money into machine work. Which is why I've just about decided on the Crower 00904 Beast. 1,500-6,500 rpm range is just about perfect for me. Still have street drivability but have about 2,000 more rpms than I have now. If I can get close to 350-400 hp I will be happy.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
.467" I believe, Andy was telling me .470" I think. Considering how well they flow between .400" and .450" I would rather find a cam that can work with that lift and rock it, instead of putting more money into machine work. Which is why I've just about decided on the Crower 00904 Beast. 1,500-6,500 rpm range is just about perfect for me. Still have street drivability but have about 2,000 more rpms than I have now. If I can get close to 350-400 hp I will be happy.

You are correct, and with the better flowiing head, you don't need as much lift to make good hp. You can likley find a cam in that lift range with some long duration to hold valve open a bit longer and take advantage of those big ports, but then its gonna lope like hell. And if recall, you need to maintain vacuuum. To do that, you need higher lift, shorter duration to avoid as much valve overlap as possible. But, without doubt, you'll find the right combo for what you want to do. I'm just wanting to make another screamin small block that turms mega rpm. 7000-7500 rpm sounds bad ass, espeically when you can hold it there and the motor stays together when everyone is expecting rods and pistons to be flying out of it at all angles. :rofl: I"ve had buddies riding in my truck lifting their legs up into the seat into fetal position expecting **** to come flying up thru the floorboard. :happy175: Then hit 2nd gear and they hit their head on the back glass and the ass end of the truck goes sideways. Pretty wicked fun to drive rides.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nice, but I think to much $$. $3K vehcile IMO. Maybe $4K if I wanted it real bad since it has a new crate motor and is FobuhFo.

5.5K is actually about the going rate in the rust belt. Looks like a really nice truck.

Make sure to look around the valve seats real close for cracks. I've pulled them off good running motors and found a crack before.

Everything I read when those heads were newer said they were good for .480-.485 lift. In recent years other numbers have showed up, but I'd still tend to believe the original numbers. I don't know how the old stock valve springs will like high RPM though. I've thought about picking up a used set before, but I always back out because of the fear of needing machine work and new valve springs. It could end up costing me more than a new set that have already been clearanced for more lift. They used to be throw-away heads, when you could go to the dealer and buy an assembled pair of Vortecs for less than $300.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
5.5K is actually about the going rate in the rust belt. Looks like a really nice truck.

I oughta start buying all I can here, and taking it to the rust belt. I noticed in the rust belt, people pay for a 90% rust free bed what I pay for a 98% rust free truck that I can drive home. :rofl:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I"ve had buddies riding in my truck lifting their legs up into the seat into fetal position expecting **** to come flying up thru the floorboard. :happy175: Then hit 2nd gear and they hit their head on the back glass and the ass end of the truck goes sideways. Pretty wicked fun to drive rides.

AHhahahaha. :roflbow:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
AHhahahaha. :roflbow:

That was in the 64 GMC my daughter called the hoppin truck. When she was a little girl, like 4yo, she sit in the bench seat next to me. I'd hold it in 1st gear, stab the gas to a 6000-6500 rpm rev, and let off and stab, let off and stab. It very well may have got the front wheels off the ground just a hair, and she'd be boucing on the seat all the up to the roof of the truck. The truck didn't have seat belts other than the driver lap belt I added for racing. Damn I shoulda never got rid of it. Such an ugly truck but damn is was fun. It has a Dana 60 rear end with 4.56 gears and a locker rear end. I had every engine and trans combo you can imagine. Granny 4 speeds, Muncie 4 speeds, Th350 and Th400, small blocks, big blocks, inline 6's when I was building the V8s etc. She is now 23 and still talks about the Hoppin Truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haywire