Bvllsh!t on craigslist.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrvnDrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Western Washington, yeah. Some developer will put a cheap a$$ Mcmansion on it and flip it for a mil 4.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Dang, 505k for 3 acres and a run down mobile home on it? That really is a trendy area you live in.
It's terrible. When I say there is no way we could afford to buy our place now, and the only reason we get to stay is because it's paid off I mean it. I fully expect that the parcel our 1960's era home (which is on a different parcel from the farm and it's buildings) will be assessed over 1M this coming year. It's ALL land value.
Western Washington, yeah. Some developer will put a cheap a$$ Mcmansion on it and flip it for a mil 4.
Thankfully we are still in a small part of the county that is unincorporated and there is a requirement of 3 acres minimum to build. But if we ever get annexed by city.... At least it's 10 miles away. I think it's to much money for someone to buy it to live there, and probably to much to buy and rent it out, but on the other hand rent rate are high, so ya never know.

In another conversation I was talking with someone who thought the farm had value because someone would want to buy it and run the bird farm. Ah, no. When we sell I'm 100% sure it'll all get knocked down. We are one of the last property owners with multiple parcels in the area that could be developed into multiple homes.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dang, 505k for 3 acres and a run down mobile home on it? That really is a trendy area you live in.
Yeah he’s kinda bougie up there in N King County lol!

Down by me is much closer to the Tacoma Aroma you can get 5ac for that much $!

(I say this in jest. Property prices are ridiculously high around here. But I guess it’s all relative. But for example the vacant 5ac next to us just sold last year for as much as our 5ac with house and shop in 2011)

Last edited:

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size

(I say this in jest. Property prices are ridiculously high around here. But I guess it’s all relative. But for example the vacant 5ac next to us just sold last year for as much as our 5ac with house and shop in 2011)
Not any better this side of the Cascades. The "Great Reshuffle" has had all kinds of riff-raff move into NCW and they shot home and land prices through the roof. The prices I can deal with, their attitudes are another story....

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

I think that's a really good example of how much housing prices have continued climb around here.

Not any better this side of the Cascades. The "Great Reshuffle" has had all kinds of riff-raff move into NCW and they shot home and land prices through the roof. The prices I can deal with, their attitudes are another story....
I want you to know that attitude is not native to the west side. I know exactly what you are talking about with the "move ins" and their attitudes. IDK where those people come from but it must be a truly dreadful place or they hate having to be here. Regardless that attitude has pretty much trashed this area. I don't wanna go out in public anymore and I use to love meeting new people.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It's terrible. When I say there is no way we could afford to buy our place now, and the only reason we get to stay is because it's paid off I mean it. I fully expect that the parcel our 1960's era home (which is on a different parcel from the farm and it's buildings) will be assessed over 1M this coming year. It's ALL land value.
I shouldn't have opened my fat trap. Came in the mail today 1,023,000. If this gives you guys any idea of what is happening here in 2020 we were assessed at 583,000. We'll owe a little over 9K in property taxes this year....

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I shouldn't have opened my fat trap. Came in the mail today 1,023,000. If this gives you guys any idea of what is happening here in 2020 we were assessed at 583,000. We'll owe a little over 9K in property taxes this year....
I have been looking at housing up and down Oregon and Washington.
I was born in Edmonds and my old house is now a million dollar house that my Pops bought for a mere $24,000.
So yeah, I will not be relocating anywhere on the west coast as all the prices have gone bonkers.
Even though Zillow keeps telling me that the price of my house is going down at a quick rate...

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Same here. Can barely afford to stay, certainly can't afford to move. Not leaving is the plan until it isn't. We aren’t giving up though, these things even out over time.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have been looking at housing up and down Oregon and Washington.
I was born in Edmonds and my old house is now a million dollar house that my Pops bought for a mere $24,000.
So yeah, I will not be relocating anywhere on the west coast as all the prices have gone bonkers.
Even though Zillow keeps telling me that the price of my house is going down at a quick rate...

Same here. Can barely afford to stay, certainly can't afford to move. Not leaving is the plan until it isn't. We aren’t giving up though, these things even out over time.
My dad in 1972, bought his place, had a house on it (which is now a rental), and in the mid-70's they built the house they still live in. Anyhow his 20 acres with the one existing house was 10K, he's got 5 acres left and two the two houses.

The one good thing we have going is that we own the farm out right. I hope to one day be able to cash it out for my retirement.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
So my old man moved to Delaware in 49 after the big war! lol Was from the penn and ny state line around Bingemton? Any way he bought a 100 year old victorian in Lewes, in the poor fisherman side of town on the water. He paid 28k I think. I have nightmares about that drafty old girl dog. No insulation, plaster walls, cedar shake roof in disrepair. During the 70's he converted the oil boiler to coal, and you guessed it, I got to shovel. When that crapped out he put the mega trash stove in the living room and burned anything he could get his hands on. In the 80's he and mom cashed out for 480k, as is. Childhood built character, but that house put him and mom in high cotton for the golden years.
It all works out, somehow.
Eric

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I mean, it sucks about the property taxes. But at least you bought when the time was right. I know that really only helps if you are willing to act upon the value increase, but having the option should give a little comfort.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So my old man moved to Delaware in 49 after the big war! lol Was from the penn and ny state line around Bingemton? Any way he bought a 100 year old victorian in Lewes, in the poor fisherman side of town on the water. He paid 28k I think. I have nightmares about that drafty old girl dog. No insulation, plaster walls, cedar shake roof in disrepair. During the 70's he converted the oil boiler to coal, and you guessed it, I got to shovel. When that crapped out he put the mega trash stove in the living room and burned anything he could get his hands on. In the 80's he and mom cashed out for 480k, as is. Childhood built character, but that house put him and mom in high cotton for the golden years.
It all works out, somehow.
Eric
Well if I was retiring right now it likely would work out well, in 10 or 15 years who knows.....
I mean, it sucks about the property taxes. But at least you bought when the time was right. I know that really only helps if you are willing to act upon the value increase, but having the option should give a little comfort.
Right. I remember when we refinanced the mortgage and we were making $1,500 a month payments. At the time that was a lot but we had a 15 year mortgage and we were shooting to be done with it in 7 years or less I think our actual minimum was somewhere around 7-800. My wife has some health issues and the deal was she had to keep working until we owned the place out right. I've definitely been encouraged by some folks sell, but the timing isn't right. Don't get me wrong the value is there. If I could sell today and get 1M for the place I could buy a by an acre or two of ocean front property for somewhere between 100K - 200K depending on if it has a cabin on it or not. But the timing isn't right for one thing I have elderly parents a mile from where I'm at now and I don't want to move 100 miles from them, there's other boring reasons too....

Anyhow that piece of property on the coast is my retirement plan. Quite frankly even if land values go up there and I can't afford a piece that's actually ocean front that's fine, I just want to be close to the ocean when I retire. I've also thought about taking the money from the farm and buying a motel out there on the coast to run as a retirement job, that could be quite a bit interesting to me. So there's a plan it's just not time yet. Thanks for letting dream about that day I needed that right now.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I think that's a really good example of how much housing prices have continued climb around here.

I want you to know that attitude is not native to the west side. I know exactly what you are talking about with the "move ins" and their attitudes. IDK where those people come from but it must be a truly dreadful place or they hate having to be here. Regardless that attitude has pretty much trashed this area. I don't wanna go out in public anymore and I use to love meeting new people.
Montana is about as bad. Big out-of-state $ run real estate prices through the roof, but the people influx is horrible! I literally NEVER leave my house without my 9 w/27 rounds. The idiot level nowadays is off the charts.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Montana is about as bad. Big out-of-state $ run real estate prices through the roof, but the people influx is horrible! I literally NEVER leave my house without my 9 w/27 rounds. The idiot level nowadays is off the charts.
I have looked at Montana as well.
It is not as bad as here outside of Portland where I live, but it is still relatively expensive.
If I move, I want my money to elevate my purchase.
Not be a lateral move.

...buying a motel out there on the coast to run as a retirement job, that could be quite a bit interesting to me....
So should we start worrying when you ask to be called Norman?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have looked at Montana as well.
It is not as bad as here outside of Portland where I live, but it is still relatively expensive.
If I move, I want my money to elevate my purchase.
Not be a lateral move.

So should we start worrying when you ask to be called Norman?
LOL. No that won't happen, nothing creepy in mind. When I was younger I really enjoyed traveling and got the opportunity to stay in a wide variety of accommodations, but somehow the small quiet motels would end up being my favorites. As I'm getting older my drive to travel is slowly decreasing and I think it would be fun to come full circle and run a little motel. Then I think about some of the things I might have to clean up in a motel room..... I think I'd need to hirer a maid.

I agree with not wanting to make a lateral move. I'm lucky where the farm is at because of the 3 acre rule the area hasn't changed as much as other place in the region. The biggest thing I'm seeing is as the folks like me that grew up in the area are getting older and getting frustrated with the growth, they sell and the people that buy are often the ones with the attitudes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115