Broken vacuum line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89square

Reaction score
First Name
Willy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Truck
Engine Size
Hi, it's been a while since I've posted here but I've recent put some money into my truck and started driving it again, but as the summer heat left a rat decided to move into the engine compartment and destroy several wires and a hard formed vacuum line. I have repaired all the electrical damage but I am having a heck of a time finding a replacement vacuum line. The line runs from the throttle body to the Air Inj. Control Valve, picture added for reference.

This is on a 1989 R3500 w/454, can anyone suggest an online retailer that may have an OEM replacement? Is there a better way to connect this vacuum line rather than using the pre-formed hard-line?

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
can you show us on-engine the line? If its a 1/4 vacuum tube.. I recommend a 1/4 vacuum rubber line just routed nicely. get a bright color set, color code them and match em to your diagram. thats for funsies but it keeps it easier to remember what each does

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Napa carries hard plastic air line for big trucks. Can you reuse the ends? You may be able to form the line with some heat. Electricians use some type of heating blanket to soften conduit to make custom bends.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Napa carries hard plastic air line for big trucks. Can you reuse the ends? You may be able to form the line with some heat. Electricians use some type of heating blanket to soften conduit to make custom bends.
I would be weary of using hard plastic. I would prefer to use copper tubing and rubber ends before plastic line. plastic gets brittle and breaks when you go to pull it off whatever its on. rubber usually at least shows cracks

And silicone will out last a **** load

86 SCOTTSDALE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Armand
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I used break line in place of the plastic lines.

89square

Reaction score
First Name
Willy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Truck
Engine Size
Went to Napa and a few other parts stores and had no luck with any hard lines (air or vacuum). I ended up getting some rubber style vacuum line that was the correct interior diameter as the rubber ends one the hard lines. I used this in place of the hard line, do I need to be concerned that the soft line will collapse under vacuum?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Went to Napa and a few other parts stores and had no luck with any hard lines (air or vacuum). I ended up getting some rubber style vacuum line that was the correct interior diameter as the rubber ends one the hard lines. I used this in place of the hard line, do I need to be concerned that the soft line will collapse under vacuum?
what diameter is it, what length is it, and can you show us its application on truck? If its not too soft and its also not overly long i would think it would be okay. like i said, you could use metal tubing or hard line in bulk like the other guy said

89square

Reaction score
First Name
Willy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Truck
Engine Size
what diameter is it, what length is it, and can you show us its application on truck? If its not too soft and its also not overly long i would think it would be okay. like i said, you could use metal tubing or hard line in bulk like the other guy said

The interior diameter is 3mm, it's the same outer diameter as the original hard line. The hard line fit in to a rubber boot that connected to a barbed connector., one side to the throttle body, and the other to the air injection control valve. I used a 16" section of soft fuel line, the diameter of the line was perfect for a tight fit over the barbed ends, my only concern is that it may collapse under vacuum. Thanks.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
yeah line like that has nylon cords that provide structure for pressure, so that includes the absense of pressure to a certain point. if you used the small vac line like from a THERMAC to valve on air cleaner, those i would be weary at that distance

89square

Reaction score
First Name
Willy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Truck
Engine Size
Awesome! Thank you everyone for the input. I have everything repaired and the truck is running great!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS