Broke second throttle cable in 6 months.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Shortly after I bought my K25, the throttle cable frayed and snapped in the middle. No biggie, it looked old. Replaced it in August. Got in it today after work and hit the gas once to get her going and it broke again. This time it just pulled out of the crimped end at the carb. JUNK! Put another one on. Do you think the pedal return spring (not sure what it's actually called) is too stiff? It's looks like a double coiled spring. 2 hooks on each end but i can't get it apart.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
That's what I have on mine too. Sounds like maybe just bad luck on the first one.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Was the replacement aftermarket? Is the gas pedal excessively stiff to push?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh, and dual springs are just for safety, in case one breaks, there's still something to pull the throttle closed. They can still be light springs that aren't too tough though. Also, incorrect spring placement can cause a stiff pedal.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just be sure you are not trying to run a straight shot from the firewall to the cable anchor bracket and then to the throttle. It needs to be in a spiral shape ( like a pigs tail or a cork screw) to enable it to shift over the foot or so from the firewall to the bracket.

If it is forced to go in a straight line it will bind and fail quickly.

Attachments

• HPIM1245_6176x4640.jpg
    HPIM1245_6176x4640.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 142
  • HPIM1521_6176x4640.jpg
    HPIM1521_6176x4640.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 103

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ahh makes sense about the springs. The pedal is pretty firm, but I wouldn't call it excessive. The spring is pretty funky looking. I would think an old spring would create less tension?

Thanks for the pics. I do have it spiraled from the firewall to the bracket

towin'gmc

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Just how long do you keep that thing on the floor?
You might check the carb linkage throw and bracket distance for binding at the bracket.

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
My pedal was as stiff as standing on a rock, replaced the spring and it's nice and easy now.
Bob

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think I'll do that

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A little update: I replaced the spring, with no change in stiffness. But, I continue to break cables about every 500 miles. It doesn't snap the cable, but the cable pulls out of the crimped piece that connects to the carb linkage. I keep putting $15 O'Reilly specials on it. I think I'm going to try to find an OEM replacement, or something of some quality, which brings me to this:

Not much of a description, but the price makes it seem like it should be higher quality. The same site sells cables for my application for $20 as well.. Anybody have any insight? http://www.classicparts.com/1983-89-Accelerator-Cable-Assembly/productinfo/89-746/

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
what does your carb bracket look like? does the bracket set lower or higher than the carb linkage? my bracket was lower than the carb when i replaced carbs and mine broke within a week. bought a new adjustable bracket and haven't had anymore problems.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And it may be that your springs are too stiff. just make sure that if you replace them, the new ones are strong enough to close the throttle all the way.

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
what does your carb bracket look like? does the bracket set lower or higher than the carb linkage? my bracket was lower than the carb when i replaced carbs and mine broke within a week. bought a new adjustable bracket and haven't had anymore problems.

I'll snap a pic and post it. I tried separating the two springs, just as a test, and that wasn't strong enough.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Shortly after I bought my K25, the throttle cable frayed and snapped in the middle. No biggie, it looked old. Replaced it in August. Got in it today after work and hit the gas once to get her going and it broke again. This time it just pulled out of the crimped end at the carb. JUNK! Put another one on. Do you think the pedal return spring (not sure what it's actually called) is too stiff? It's looks like a double coiled spring. 2 hooks on each end but i can't get it apart.

Disconnect the throttle cable and the return spring from the carburetor linkage. Now by hand open and close the throttle on the carb several times. Is it stiff? It should be very VERY easy to turn the throttle by hand. If not you have a binding throttle shaft. Also if you do this when the engine is warm you can check to ensure the secondary shaft is turning freely and not binding. If the choke is engaged on a cold engine the secondary shaft is prevented mechanically from opening. So do it while it is warm unless you know where the little stop is on the passenger side that stops the secondaries from opening. Then just hold the stop open and do it while the engine is cold

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
One other thing to check.
Is this an automatic transmission ? if so, the kick down cable could be binding and causing the throttle cable to break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76