Bright headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatcanuckguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
colin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 stepside
Engine Size
i totally agree. i run 6000k in my 2012 ram, and just love them. i will be switching all of my other vehicles over to hid as well. nothing else comes even close to the light from a hid setup

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Food for thought........
I upgraded the factory HIDs on my DD from 4300K bulbs to 6000K. In doing my research, several sources said not to exceed 6000k because, although the 8000K light is brighter, it has a shorter effective distance. Basically, other people will see you better, but you won't see out better. I will admit that even with the increase I did, I feel more compelled to use my fogs more on dark roads. I just don't feel like I can see as well as I did before the "upgrade". I really like how they look though, and I have my fog/driving lights (which are just as bright as headlights) to make up the difference.

I do know this: Different light sources produce different wavelengths of light, and lower frequency waves travel further than high frequency waves. My guess is that the higher temp of the lights produces higher frequency (visibly brighter) wavelengths, but their effective area is decreased. IMO, the best middle ground is 5000K-6000K.

I agree. The higher K lights might "look cool" but they provide worse visibility. Especially in the rain. But any HID will be better than a old yellow halogen sealed beam.

Also keep in mind that HID bulbs will color shift over time. What starts out as a 4300K light will end up a more dim version that is around 5000K when it goes out. And then when you replace that one bulb it will look different than the other one. I replace them in pairs.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
You must be registered for see images attach

That should tell ya how to wire the headlights found it on google!
pretty simple

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Also with this above setup you can run the HIDs and not worry about the harness being the weak point since it will be pulling power from the battery and not the switch which causes like a 2v voltage drop.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

That should tell ya how to wire the headlights found it on google!
pretty simple

Thanks for that diagram bud

Kyle123

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Would these fit in my 87 k10 chevy single head light
Brand Rampage
Model 5089927

Kyle123

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You can buy a universal headlight harness off eBay that has relays in it and is great for upgrading to newer style headlights. You can also get newer style headlights off eBay that take an H4 bulb, which gives you a bunch of options as far as bulbs. That's what I did.

What brand is it ? And model number or part number? Looks awsome too

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
What brand is it ? And model number or part number? Looks awsome too

For a relay kit, just search "H4 Relay Harness" if you have quads or split hi/lo you'll need a split harness for the 4 lights. If you habe single headlights that do both highs and lows, then you just need a combined Hi Lo kit. They'll all have 2 relays, it's just a matter of how the connectors are wired up.

Make sure to get one that has fully sealed relays, not the see through thin plastic housings those leak pretty quickly and will corrode/rust the relaya and harness connections.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Probly not legal but i got the 4x6 leds from amazon they are brighter than my light bar.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Probly not legal but i got the 4x6 leds from amazon they are brighter than my light bar.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
9012 bulbs work well with conversion housing.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
9012 bulbs work well with conversion housing.

9012 is the way to if you want to stay with incandescent bulbs.
Previous owner of my Suburban got the LMC harness and housings and while I'm not a fan of the "euro" clear, they light up well and I have an extra set of 9012's laying around so thats going in for now. I also have a Hella conversion kit that uses H4 bulbs, combined with a harness that should be more than enough light and a pretty nice cut off for a non projector.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Food for thought........
I upgraded the factory HIDs on my DD from 4300K bulbs to 6000K. In doing my research, several sources said not to exceed 6000k because, although the 8000K light is brighter, it has a shorter effective distance. Basically, other people will see you better, but you won't see out better. I will admit that even with the increase I did, I feel more compelled to use my fogs more on dark roads. I just don't feel like I can see as well as I did before the "upgrade". I really like how they look though, and I have my fog/driving lights (which are just as bright as headlights) to make up the difference.

I do know this: Different light sources produce different wavelengths of light, and lower frequency waves travel further than high frequency waves. My guess is that the higher temp of the lights produces higher frequency (visibly brighter) wavelengths, but their effective area is decreased. IMO, the best middle ground is 5000K-6000K.
Interesting... kinda like sound. Low freq (bass, 4 strokes) travels further than high freq (treble, 2 strokes braaaap!).

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Blue may be easy to see from a distance, but it doesn't do a very good job of lighting the road ahead, as the poster above found out. That's the problem with higher color temperature lights, as well as the blue-tinted bulbs that filter out other colors in the spectrum. That's why you don't see blue lights used as OEM equipment. They're "all show and no go".

Good reading here, especially the section on converting to HID: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

I think your best bang for the buck upgrade is Hella Vision Plus headlamps. The lens and reflector are what really separates them from the pack. And you can use any H4 bulb you choose. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI37Oyhov61QIVgo2zCh0nWwfDEAQYASABEgK6WfD_BwE

Last edited:

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
If i could add a side note, while not taking away from the tremendous benefit of upgrading headlights:

If you clean the INSIDE of the windshield, (as well as the outside) you might be surprised at how much better you can see at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35