Brake Proportioning Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShortBus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350tbi
Well the time has come to replace some 33 year old brake parts. I've got a new MC and booster. New SS hard lines on the way. Looking over the braking system I notice my proportioning valve is OLD and looks like its a bit leaky. My rears lock up really easy so i doubt this valve is working anymore.
I want to go ahead and replace this valve but looking online I'm not sure which one to buy. Looks like they're all cheap imports. Is there a "good" one to get?
The rear lines look fine so I'm going to replace everything from that prop valve to the MC for now. Will do the pads, rotors, rear stuff, and hoses later on.
And advice or insight appreciated.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Nope. They are all junk. I did tons of research when I needed to replace mine and everyone says the same thing. You will find a good one in the mix but you'll swap it out a few times unless you get lucky on the first shot. If you don't need your truck to drive your best bet is to have your old one rebuilt. I bought one from CPP and I couldn't get fluid to the rear brakes. I took the line off after the valve and still nothing. Before the valve was fine. I took the valve apart, made sure everything worked, put it back together, made sure the little safety plunger was in the right position and left the line off to gravity bleed...nothing. I tee'd the front brakes and put a Wilwood adjustable in for the rear. Works great now.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
That's who I ordered my lines from already.
I wonder if their prop valves are different than everyone else's.

Most likely, I had talked to the owner Bcuz It's on the way Up to my Mother's house (Manistee, MI) and When I go up there I asked if i can get a Tour of the Facility and too In-Person Pickup my New Brake lines and other things. :) So no doubt they are different.

ShortBus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350tbi
Alright, thanks yall.
I'll spend the extra money and get that valve from Inline.

My next thoughts are of the rear load sensing valve.
But I'll worry about that once I get done with the front stuff.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Bought mine at summit, works since 6 years as it should. no leaks.

ShortBus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350tbi
Finally got the prop valve and stainless lines. Sprung for new line clips and fasteners, too.
Now to get it all on the truck.

Been working hard on other projects. Had to do the rear u-joint on my school bus. Been doing the yearly maintenance on that beast. 7 gallon oil changes and 4 gallon transmission fills get expensive.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
The stainless lines are a pita to install but worth it..no more corrosion on the brake lines 1 worry less for inspection.

ShortBus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350tbi
The lines and prop valve were no fun. My fingers and arms are killing me but at least its done.
Now I just gotta bleed it all.

Lucky for me FL has no inspections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood