Brake pedal needs manually reset after depressing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I’m beginning to think the unit I bought (reman) is defective, which is unfortunate. The part is easy enough to change, is under warranty, and now that I finally figured out how to bleed the PS system that’s not an issue. Just need to find the time again lol

going to change the brake pedal return spring first since it was cheap and seems simple to change. Looks like I may have to remove the gauge cluster though.

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Maybe it's the accumulator not pumping back up. I had to replace the hydro-boost in my truck last fall. After that, I got a weird locking feeling to the steering wheel, like its stuck. IDK if it looses pressure, but it's possible. My issue could be the rebuilt steering box too. I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. But I'm not happy with Napa's rebuilt parts by BBB Industries. After 4 years and only 3K miles, the pump is leaking.

FYI the return spring for the pedal is GM 3850084.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
That’s the part number I ordered.

@ Craig 85, you’re probably right, you always have been with regard to my truck. If the spring doesn’t fix it, I’ll probably take the hydroboost back to Napa and exchange it for another unit.

Also, I don’t know if it means anything but I’ve found that pushing down harder on the brake pedal when it stays depressed seems to “reset” it.

I’ve only heard good things about Red Head steering gears, when mine needs replaced, that’s who is getting my money.

Eric

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
So far I’ve been able to locate three different part numbers for hydroboost pedal rods:

-71217 (the one currently installed)

does anyone happen to know the difference between the rods?

-Eric

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
So far I’ve been able to locate three different part numbers for hydroboost pedal rods:

-71217 (the one currently installed)

does anyone happen to know the difference between the rods?

-Eric

I don't, but maybe put a call into A1 Cardone. They are the ones that rebuilt these for most parts houses.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
After tearing into the dash with the intention of replacing the brake pedal return spring, I decided against it.

Reason being, everything worked fine before I changed the hydroboost unit. Also, the spring, which looks to be entirely enclosed in a steel tube of sorts, appears to be in good condition. In short, it seemed like a huge pain in the ass to swap and I have reason to believe it’s not my issue. I have the new part and may change it out when I get around to installing a new dash pad. Maybe then I’ll actually be able to see what I’m doing!

Drove the truck a few miles today with zero pedal issues. However, by using the UV dye, I discovered that my steering gear is leaking from where the steering shaft connects to the box and at the pitman arm. I assume it is possible that air can enter if PS fluid can exit.

I am more than likely going with redhead steering unit 2858 (15:1 ratio) or 2858 4T (18:1 ratio) The "4T" is marketed for lifted and trucks with larger tires. I am running 285/65s and don't intend on lifting the truck.

Would anyone happen to know what the factory steering ratio is or the procedure how to confirm what it is? I am also entertaining the idea of having it rebuilt by a local shop if I can find someone who will warranty their work.

-Eric

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD