Blown Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It would be great if we could get a pic of the truck in question, on level ground. And then also a few pics of the front and rear springs.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Most leaf springs have a high spring rate, they naturally tend not to oscillate. They behave very differently from a coil spring. If curiosity ever gets the best of you, go remove the lower bolts of your front shocks and try to bounce the front of your truck up and down. If you can actually get it to move much at all, it won't continue to move on it's own.

to say that a high spring rate causes said spring to not oscillate is simply not true. if you want to get into the physics the equation for a simple harmonic oscillator (spring) is frequency= .5pi*sqrt(k/mass) where k is the spring constant. this equation shows that a stiffer spring will oscillate faster, but not necessarily less. however, sure it is harder to compress. but, other things constant, if you dropped 2 trucks without shocks, with completely different springs from the same height, they would bounce to the EXACT same height. i agree you are correct that leaf springs are not perfect though. and oh sure mine are very stiff. i can barely get it to move. but imagine hitting a large bump without shocks, the spring does compress a fair bit, and think of the potential energy! i have driven without my rear shocks for a while and it did get bouncy back there....

but really enough of the nonsense about shocks, i think we can agree the OP's ride problem is stiff springs right? :handshake:

by the way i really do not intend to be a pain, i just think i should contribute what knowledge i can, even if it opposes what someone else says in order for us collectively to find the right answer. thats what these forums are about right? :shrug:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
to say that a high spring rate causes said spring to not oscillate is simply not true. if you want to get into the physics the equation for a simple harmonic oscillator (spring) is frequency= .5pi*sqrt(k/mass) where k is the spring constant. this equation shows that a stiffer spring will oscillate faster, but not necessarily less. however, sure it is harder to compress. but, other things constant, if you dropped 2 trucks without shocks, with completely different springs from the same height, they would bounce to the EXACT same height. i agree you are correct that leaf springs are not perfect though. and oh sure mine are very stiff. i can barely get it to move. but imagine hitting a large bump without shocks, the spring does compress a fair bit, and think of the potential energy! i have driven without my rear shocks for a while and it did get bouncy back there....

but really enough of the nonsense about shocks, i think we can agree the OP's ride problem is stiff springs right? :handshake:

by the way i really do not intend to be a pain, i just think i should contribute what knowledge i can, even if it opposes what someone else says in order for us collectively to find the right answer. thats what these forums are about right? :shrug:

I get what you are saying and I'm not intending to argue, if that's how it comes off. You also got way too technical for me right there, lol. I just know how most leaf springs behave with worn shocks or no shocks, simply from working on cars and trucks everyday for the last 15 years or so. But one thing we definitely agree on, is that stiff springs are the issue.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
I get what you are saying and I'm not intending to argue, if that's how it comes off. You also got way too technical for me right there, lol. I just know how most leaf springs behave with worn shocks or no shocks, simply from working on cars and trucks everyday for the last 15 years or so. But one thing we definitely agree on, is that stiff springs are the issue.

i was just making sure i wasnt coming off that way haha. but not that you arent experienced either. ive just driven without shocks and saw what it was like, heck lets just say were sayin the same thing with different words!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
i was just making sure i wasnt coming off that way haha. but not that you arent experienced either. ive just driven without shocks and saw what it was like, heck lets just say were sayin the same thing with different words!

Sounds good to me :cheers:

Hopefully we can get some pictures in this thread :popcorn:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It would be great if we could get a pic of the truck in question, on level ground. And then also a few pics of the front and rear springs.

Ask and you shall receive.

You must be registered for see images

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Wanna get rid of those wheels? :D i need a nice set of aluminum wheels.

Sorry for the random post

And BTW, those front springs dont look to good.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ok, looks like 3-4 inches of lift, and it's all by adding very thick and very arched leaves into the factory packs. That right there is your horrible ride quality. Even a set of budget lift springs would probably ride a fair amount better.

Zaar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zaar
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20/30
Engine Size
Yeah your springs need to be replaced they are not and i repeat not in good shape.
as mentioned before they need to go bro.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Ask and you shall receive.

:boxed: no wonder you have ride issues... i have an add a leaf and its stiff, i cant imagine riding in that thing

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, I just blew a bunch of cash fixing the transmission. I'd like to wait. Are these springs really dangerous? I just use it to drive 2-6 miles at a time right now.

Also how hard is it to install the springs? That seems like a pain to do with a lifted truck in a driveway. What would the labor be for a shop with a proper lift be?

Zaar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zaar
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20/30
Engine Size
Actually its not that bad of a job if you decide to tackle it yourself if not get ready to pay for shop time and i dont see the reason to shell out cash on replacing the springs.
i did my lift springs in a drive way with 14ton jack stands from harbor freight and they worked well and had proper height for my k5 when i did the lift. fyi make sure to have two jacks and some wood to chock under the jack. obviously the easiest thing is taking it to a shop but around here most shops wont touch it due to a "liability" thing they wont be responsible yadda yadda. i honestly think if you do it yourself and take the time to understand the lift and symmetry of the suspension youll have a better idea of what goes wrong and where, its a learning thing.
Shame your not closer i'd do it for you on a weekend.
idea of what springs your getting?
and by all means you can drive it like that but the problem will be there. if not more issues down the road.

Zaar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zaar
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20/30
Engine Size
do have a question does your steering give much problems? something doesnt look right i may be wrong can someone else give it an eye and see if i'm correct? im looking at your drop steering arm or am i?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones