Blown Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am a new owner of a 1984 K10 1/2ton. It has 35x12.5 tires on it, and what I'd guess is a 4 inch lift. I'm still not sure how to measure it exactly.

My truck seems to be bouncing around, quite a stiff ride. I'm guessing I have blown shocks? It there an easy way to test that? And if I wanted to replace them, what shocks should I get? It sees mostly street duty, and hopefully off-road to come.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's probably not bad shocks causing the bouncy ride, it's likely the front springs. The lower end springs tend to ride rough, especially old Rancho springs.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
if its bouncy, then i would think old shocks. But if its stiff, thats cause of the springs.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
if its bouncy, then i would think old shocks. But if its stiff, thats cause of the springs.

You ever ride in a truck with old Ranchos? The springs just plain don't move, lol. It's bouncy and rough because the tires act as the suspension.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
You ever ride in a truck with old Ranchos? The springs just plain don't move, lol. It's bouncy and rough because the tires act as the suspension.

lol, i dont run my tires low pressure, so mine dont have much give. lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Shocks really don't do a lot in a leaf spring application, unless the springs are soft. Worn shocks with coil springs cause bounce or float, but with leaves, shocks that are broken completely off may go unnoticed for a while. The ride will be a little more harsh with worn shocks, but not bouncy.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
bad shocks or no shocks at all will NOT make the ride stiffer. if anything itll be softer but less controlled and bouncy. as the others have said the stiff ride comes from the springs.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
bad shocks or no shocks at all will NOT make the ride stiffer. if anything itll be softer but less controlled and bouncy. as the others have said the stiff ride comes from the springs.

That's what I'm trying to say, bad shocks or no shocks really DON'T make the ride bouncy. Good shocks will just make the ride less harsh.

Harsh, stiff, rough, bouncy, squishy... although they are similar they all mean different things when it comes to a vehicle's ride quality.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
That's what I'm trying to say, bad shocks or no shocks really DON'T make the ride bouncy. Good shocks will just make the ride less harsh.

Harsh, stiff, rough, bouncy, squishy... although they are similar they all mean different things when it comes to a vehicle's ride quality.

Well what do you mean by bouncy? Because a spring undampened (without a shock) by definition will oscillate for an extended period of time. That sounds like bouncy to me. A shock acts to control that harmonic motion so that when we hit a bump we still aren't moving up and down forever. When I said bouncy I was refering to the loss of control over the springs.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Dumb question, but with bad shocks, doesnt is start to sag also? my right rear is sagging.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Dumb question, but with bad shocks, doesnt is start to sag also? my right rear is sagging.

shocks only exert force while moving. they do nothing when the truck is sitting. that sagging is due to the springs. nitro pressure shocks do exert a little force say 50 to 100 pounds constantly, but thats not enough to significantly change sagging or not.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don't think my primary complaint is oscillations... I guess it's just stiff lousy lift springs. I just don't like the rear hopping around when I go over a dip in the road. So it's probably not shocks, but I think it could use more damping.

Zaar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zaar
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20/30
Engine Size
ahh the magical rough ride question. ok everyone here had a good point.
but end result is the lift spring. the shock just helps to dampen the rigidity of the spring if you pay attention to axis and vertices of suspension components youll understand that as you increase the arch of the spring the travel also increases additionally if you have a more ridgid spring the rides increases in high road feedback which equals the roughride or bounce you've explained. So in theory if you weighted the rear of the truck the ride will subside most of the bounce which is true pretty simple concept of arch and travel if you look at it in my simple terms so adding weight removes some of the bounce and creates less arch and less feedback "bounce" i have experience i dodge bumps and dips like a lowrider yet i can fit one under my truck crazy huh.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
I don't think my primary complaint is oscillations... I guess it's just stiff lousy lift springs. I just don't like the rear hopping around when I go over a dip in the road. So it's probably not shocks, but I think it could use more damping.

right right, i was just giving my 2 cents on why i do not believe shocks were your problem. its really stiff springs. please do not increase your dampening to match your spring rate, you will hate yourself if you do. my vote is to get softer springs. either softer springs or even get a milder lift (gasp). also its possible that you have bad shackle angles but idk what your lift is like.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well what do you mean by bouncy? Because a spring undampened (without a shock) by definition will oscillate for an extended period of time. That sounds like bouncy to me. A shock acts to control that harmonic motion so that when we hit a bump we still aren't moving up and down forever. When I said bouncy I was refering to the loss of control over the springs.

Most leaf springs have a high spring rate, they naturally tend not to oscillate. They behave very differently from a coil spring. If curiosity ever gets the best of you, go remove the lower bolts of your front shocks and try to bounce the front of your truck up and down. If you can actually get it to move much at all, it won't continue to move on it's own.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckboy_17