Bilstein Shocks Bushing/Sleeve Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Stay Puft

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have seen some mention of this in the threads but nothing with enough detail.

1989 V1500 Suburban

I installed 2" lift custom leaf springs from ORD. Much improved ride quality btw. They came with 5125 Bilstein shocks. 8.13" travel in the front and 10" travel in the rear. The metal sleeve in the lower bushing is too small for the stock bolt. The rubber bushings are also significantly narrower than the mount spacing in the rear. ORD informed me that the metal sleeve was optional. That the sleeve is for 1/2" bolts and without it is for 5/8". Also they said the bolts do not need to be tightened down to the point of crushing the rubber bushing. The gap is fine as the only movement is up and down.

After I had installed the lift, springs, and drop pitman I took the burb in to get the alignment checked. The mechanic flagged the shock install. He said you HAVE to use the sleeve and you HAVE to torque down the bolt to the proper torque and crush the rubber bushing. He said these were not the right shocks due to the issues with the lower mount.

I'm not sure on what the consensus is for install on these shocks. I have seen them mentioned a bunch on here as a good option but not much on the actual install. Can they be run without the sleeve? What torque is used? If there is no metal sleeve, and I use washers to take up the gap in the mount, if I torque up the bolt to factory spec there is no inner sleeve to prevent completely smashing the rubber bushing.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I like Bilstein shocks and believe they’re basically the best out there quality wise for long life.
But, like you, for one reason or 6 others, neither front, rear or steering stabilizer would work without a bunch of fuckery, and both front and rear were simply too short for the lift they said they’d fit.
I used the ss on my 4th gen Ram since I think that’s what it was actually for, lol and returned the rest. I’d have had to reorder longer shocks and fck with every single connection point in one way or another.
Personally, I’d just return them and buy some shocks that actually fit.

Bilstein just doesn’t make ready to bolt up shocks for this application (squarebodys). But enough people want them that places like ORD market them, because they’re actully great shocks.
Fwiw the Skyjacker website product data is far more user friendly. I was able to find the right shocks and check that they were actully right for the truck pretty easily.

Mr Stay Puft

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks, Grit dog, I appreciate the input. Different shocks would definitely be easier, but I'd rather find out how to use these, since like you said, they are supposed to be good shocks. If I need to make a custom stepped spacer or something to use these shocks, I am ok with that.

It does seem like a bunch of people use them on squarebodys and ORD is a pretty respected company in the space. There has to be some general consensus on how to best install these. Maybe the guidance I got is correct, you just run em kind of loose in the bottom connection and without the sleeve. I was just wondering what others did and if they thought that was an ok approach. For how popular these shocks seem to be on these trucks, there has to be some solid feedback on what does or doesn't work.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I had no problems putting on a set. They were long enough for my 6" lift. I ordered them by length. 33-185552 B8 5125 front and 33-185569 B8 5125 rear. Slid on like they were supposed to. Zero complaints.
You must be registered for see images attach

Mr Stay Puft

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
The lengths were fine. I am curious how the bolt fit at the bottom in the rear. Did you use the supplied metal sleeve inside the rubber bushing? Were you able to clamp up on the rubber bushing? Here is what mine looked like:

To use the stock bolt I was unable to use the supplied metal sleeve. Maybe that's fine, I just wasn't sure.

My truck had dual front shocks and ORD recommended running just one. This is what the front looks like. I can't remember on the front shock if I was unable to use the supplied metal sleeve on the top or bottom bolt. For sure on the back on the bottom I couldn't. The top bolt on the back went together fine and I was able to torque it up. The other 3 bolt locations though, I couldn't torque up the bolt as there was either too large of a gap or no metal sleeve being using. ORD seemed to indicate that was ok, but the mechanic who did my alignment said it was a problem.

Italianwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Here’s the front and rear of mine. Believe I got new grade 8 bolts. But don’t remember any issues. Old bolts were destroyed anyways.

Attachments

• FBFF4B2F-B228-40C5-99A5-923161EDEE5B.jpeg
    FBFF4B2F-B228-40C5-99A5-923161EDEE5B.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 5720224A-5662-4469-A330-3716740F9FAB.jpeg
    5720224A-5662-4469-A330-3716740F9FAB.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 35

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don't have Bilstein shocks yet, my Ranchos are similar issue front and rear. If the stud or bolt fits inside the rubber bushing without a sleeve so be it. I don't have sleeves, makes no difference. The fronts had a lot (1/2") of space between the ears. I just used 3-4 washers on each side. That's enough to minimize bushing deflection but there's no need to torque it IF you're using the metal type lock nuts like the OEM. I think your alignment guy is overthinking it, probably for liability reasons.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
No sleeves in mine. That front lower looks squished bad. I don't see them lasting very long.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
That front lower looks squished bad. I don't see them lasting very long.
Agreed…

I looked through my pictures and couldn’t find any great ones…

I’ll try to get some better ones this weekend but here’s what I got for now

Mr Stay Puft

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks everyone for the input! I agree the front shock angle looks concerning. However, this is the angle I get using the auxiliary mount on the top and going inside the lower mount, which is what ORD said you are supposed to do. I feel like the only way to correct this is to either use the other upper location, or go outside the lower mount. I also had to grind the upper mount to clear the body of the shock, but that wasn't a big deal.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You will get different answers from different folks at ORD. There are different rubber inserts that allow for larger diameter sleeves to fit your bolts. I went through this same issue. I’ll try to dig up the name of the guy who got it right for me.

RaisedK5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Might want to check with the ORD guys but usually single fronts go in the other front shock position. That would make the angles better on the bushings.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks everyone for the input! I agree the front shock angle looks concerning. However, this is the angle I get using the auxiliary mount on the top and going inside the lower mount, which is what ORD said you are supposed to do. I feel like the only way to correct this is to either use the other upper location, or go outside the lower mount. I also had to grind the upper mount to clear the body of the shock, but that wasn't a big deal.

When you ordered the lift and shocks, did you specify use in that shock location? The standard location is the other one and probably where your shock needs to go. The aux location uses a longer shock.

Italianwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Mine is that other mount to.

Attachments

• F8178D30-D75E-4EB3-89B5-1D6E85F86CC8.jpeg
    F8178D30-D75E-4EB3-89B5-1D6E85F86CC8.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 28

Mr Stay Puft

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
When you ordered the lift and shocks, did you specify use in that shock location? The standard location is the other one and probably where your shock needs to go. The aux location uses a longer shock.
When I ordered the shocks online there was nowhere to specify on the website during purchase between dual and single front shocks. The only options were whether you wanted to get their extended front shock mounts (and I assume longer shocks to accompany them), which I didn't get. At the time I didn't realize that not all 4X4 trucks had the dual shocks. When I received the shocks I emailed to ask why I only received 1 set of 33-185590 Bilstein shocks (8.13" travel) front shocks and that I needed 4 for my truck. They said you only need 1 set with modern tech and that it should be mounted on the further forward (auxiliary) location, as it's more vertical, and inside the lower mount. I emailed back after I installed them and included pictures of the install. I said it seemed like the angle was wrong as neither of the stock shocks were mounted with this configuration of mount locations. They said it was ok and that the bushings can take a decent amount of deflection. For the record, I'm not trying to speak negatively of ORD as they are clearly more versed in off-road and these trucks than I am. This truck will be my first foray into off-road adventures, it just didn't look right to me and I was curious if other installs looked like this as this seems like a very popular shock and lift kit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag