Blown Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Actually its not that bad of a job if you decide to tackle it yourself if not get ready to pay for shop time and i dont see the reason to shell out cash on replacing the springs.
i did my lift springs in a drive way with 14ton jack stands from harbor freight and they worked well and had proper height for my k5 when i did the lift. fyi make sure to have two jacks and some wood to chock under the jack. obviously the easiest thing is taking it to a shop but around here most shops wont touch it due to a "liability" thing they wont be responsible yadda yadda. i honestly think if you do it yourself and take the time to understand the lift and symmetry of the suspension youll have a better idea of what goes wrong and where, its a learning thing.
Shame your not closer i'd do it for you on a weekend.
idea of what springs your getting?
and by all means you can drive it like that but the problem will be there. if not more issues down the road.

I have a gravel driveway which adds to the fun. I sucked it up and swapped the transmission myself, but I didn't need to get it far off the ground. I'll get a quote from a shop then decide.

I used to live in Philly about 3 months ago, I would've totally hit you with a case of beer for a hand. :rockit:

do have a question does your steering give much problems? something doesnt look right i may be wrong can someone else give it an eye and see if i'm correct? im looking at your drop steering arm or am i?

Steering seems ok. The pump doesn't leak which I feel like is the only problem this thing doesn't have. I recently replaced the steering damper which got bent when my floor jack slipped. I'm not up on my terminology yet... but the front spring photo is front drivers side.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
i'd vote do it yourself its pretty straightforward. a stiff suspension is not necessarily dangerous. when mine got stiffer i felt like i had better control and the truck didnt roll as much in the corners.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's not dangerous, you just have to deal with the ride quality. Changing out the springs is not hard AS LONG AS the spring bolts aren't seized in the spring bushings and you are replacing the u-bolts (you can simply cut off the old).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub