Bed disassembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I have an 84 Sierra long bed that has a bad front panel. Someone in the past had something slide forward and hit it and it pulled the bolts out of the metal, so I'm needing to replace it. While I'm at it, I'm thinking of completely taking the bed apart for cleaning and dent removal. My question is, how hard is it to take it apart, then put it back together?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
All bolted, have seen small welds in the rear corners where bed meets the side panel, inside, top. Easily cut with a whizzer wheel. If in a rust prone area apply penetrant to the bolts first.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I would install the new front before you take the whole thing apart. I bought and assembled a whole new bed and it was a erecter set trying to get all the bolt holes lined up. But @TotalyHucked AMD came thru on this part of my project
You must be registered for see images attach

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
It's not terrible, especially if you have a platform/forklift/table/something to set the bed/floor on. Or at least a couple buddies to help. A few spot welds on the rear posts where they meet the floor and the rest is bolt together. The worst part is getting the old seam sealer off

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I did mine in ~3 afternoons by myself. The forklift made it super easy lol. If you're just going back with your original sides and floor, it shouldn't be bad. You'll need a ladyfinger or tapered punch to help line up the holes to put the bolts back in. If you were doing a new floor/tubs/etc, I'd tell ya to open up any pass through hole a couple sizes with a step bit to give you more adjustment. Also, I welded my rear posts more than original because my bed flexed ALOT without seam sealer or any weld for the 8mo I ran around like that lol.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
When I replaced the bedsides, I started at the front with screws loose, then went to the back.....all wouldn't line up. So I tried the opposite....wouldn't line up.

I think I should have loosened the fender wells so they would move to get everything lined up. And then dropped the sides straight down instead of teatering towards the front or rear. Anyway, I'm missing a few screws in the back and it sits about 1/4" higher than it should. I'll live with it lol.

If you do it, do it one panel at a time so you can get it back easily.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I did mine in ~3 afternoons by myself. The forklift made it super easy lol. If you're just going back with your original sides and floor, it shouldn't be bad. You'll need a ladyfinger or tapered punch to help line up the holes to put the bolts back in. If you were doing a new floor/tubs/etc, I'd tell ya to open up any pass through hole a couple sizes with a step bit to give you more adjustment. Also, I welded my rear posts more than original because my bed flexed ALOT without seam sealer or any weld for the 8mo I ran around like that lol.
The only thing I'm replacing is the front panel. I'll find an original piece to replace the damaged piece. I want to take it apart so I can do a good clean up on the parts and paint them before reassembling it all.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I think you guys misunderstood my first post. I put together all of them from scratch. @84GMCSierra if you find a replacement, take the OEM off and install the new one first, clean it up and work your way around. It's not difficult and yes a forklift would make it easier, :cool:

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
It's not terrible, especially if you have a platform/forklift/table/something to set the bed/floor on. Or at least a couple buddies to help. A few spot welds on the rear posts where they meet the floor and the rest is bolt together. The worst part is getting the old seam sealer off

Nice shop Zach!

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's not worth the hassle for me. I purchased a Texas rust free box for my 94 a few years ago. 500.00. Local guy had it. But good job on yours!!!!

Don-T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would like to find one for my ‘73. the floor is severely rusted and the wheel wells and sides are not far behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe