Bed removal and using stock taillights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I'm wanting to remove my bed, to replace the front panel, get the large dent out of the left side, and generally clean up the frame, and replace the rubber fuel lines from the fuel tank. Anyways, has anyone used their stock taillights mounted to the frame, or did you get a different set of lights to use while the bed was off? I'm also on the fence about replacing the sending unit, but it works perfectly, and is dead on accurate. My truck is an 84 Sierra Longbed.
Thanks

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Go get yourself a set of the magnetic towing lights that plug into a regular trailer plug. Add a little duct tape and your off. No wire hacking or tail light damage.
Eric

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Go get yourself a set of the magnetic towing lights that plug into a regular trailer plug. Add a little duct tape and your off. No wire hacking or tail light damage.
Eric
agree....especially with the duct tape....the magnets will not hold.

Krust88

Reaction score
First Name
Lebron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I have used the stock lights on the frame while fixing my bed. i just drilled a hole for a single 1/4" bolt through the bottom of the light housing on and each top rail of the frame. This kept the lights high enough to be seen in traffic and kept the wiring secure. It lasted 3 months with no issues.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Eric
I did this, except I used the stepside (ie, "Grote" brand) taillamps and bolted them on.

Be careful when driving, especially in the rain. It's not going to want to stop very well.

K
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: