BBC Headers, A Question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I have found a set of Hooker Headers that are for a Corvette.
I was wondering if any of you have used them from a Vette on one of these trucks.

I know that Chevelle and Camaro headers typically work fine and tuck the pipes up.
I just don't know the differences of how Corvettes are built.

This is for my '79 2wd truck by the way.

Due to the love of photos, here is what I am looking at...

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I dunno if they fit (looks like they might) but damn that's a good deal! I'd buy them just because the deal is good. They would for sure get used eventually, lol.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I dunno if they fit (looks like they might) but damn that's a good deal! I'd buy them just because the deal is good. They would for sure get used eventually, lol.

Yeah, that is kinda what I am leaning towards as well.
It would be easier if I knew what I was getting into though...

They might fit the truck, they might not.
Perhaps they will fit into one of the Bel Airs, perhaps not.

But they are coated, they are Hookers, and they are the right pipe size.
They have all those things going for them.

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
I'll let you know that headers even if they fit your engine are only helping the exhaust gas out at very high rpm. The header tube is larger than the exhaust port so the exhaust pressure drops and that causes the velocity to slow down. So unless you are racing they are going to reduce the amount of Hp your are making.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'll let you know that headers even if they fit your engine are only helping the exhaust gas out at very high rpm. The header tube is larger than the exhaust port so the exhaust pressure drops and that causes the velocity to slow down. So unless you are racing they are going to reduce the amount of Hp your are making.

Not to sound harsh, but that's 100% incorrect. Dyno test after dyno test, it has been proven that an appropriate sized longtube header on basically any American V8 through the 90's will produce more power in streetable RPM ranges compared to a cast iron exhaust manifold.

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
Physics is physics...and every graph I see for headers starts out above 2000 rpm. Off idle is where the loss is, that is why I am running stock manifolds and the stock intake with unported heads. My engine is built for pulling so it reaches it's max torque at only 2200 rpm. For high rpm peak power headers do allow for the additional flow needed.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Physics is physics...and every graph I see for headers starts out above 2000 rpm. Off idle is where the loss is, that is why I am running stock manifolds and the stock intake with unported heads. My engine is built for pulling so it reaches it's max torque at only 2200 rpm. For high rpm peak power headers do allow for the additional flow needed.

Yes. Physics is physics. Scavenging is also physics. Just because they may or may not produce more power just off of idle, does not mean they are only beneficial for high rpm use. Unless you are considering 2500 rpm "high".

The key is total usable power band. It doesn't matter if your engine makes peak torque at 2200 rpm because to actually use your truck and drive it, you are going to have to run it up to 4500-5000 rpm just like anyone else. Loosing a few measly ponies off the line is a small sacrifice to gain much more in the rest of the rpm range that the truck is used.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
You can regain the "ponies" by regearing if you have to,

BoxChevyDually

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
7.4l 454
Regardless of what the power outcome might be, I do not believe the driver's side header would fit between the block and the frame rail if you are trying to install on a big block chevy in a square body. It looks as though cylinder #5 downpipe would hit the frame, it is pretty tight in that area. Though, I cannot speak for a small block, but it was not clarified what size block you have? I believe if the downpipe for cylinder #5 followed cylinder #1 instead of crossing over it, then it would fit, if that makes any sense? But anyways, good luck with that, it is a great seeming deal for sure!

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

I want to say that dyno tests happen to start at that rpm as the dyno has a difficult time loading the engine below that RPM. That would be why you don't really see any that start below 2000.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
As for the headers, I went and bought them.
They are not going to work on my truck like @BoxChevyDually pointed out, the 3rd pipe on the driver side header is in the wrong position.
It will totally interfere with the chassis of the truck and I don't know if any amount of hammering will change that issue.

So the headers will hang out with me and we shall see if they are any better on my 1954 Bel Air.
If not, they will be sold down the road to a Vette feller for more than I paid for them of course.
They are brand new and have never even been bolted up to an engine...

Last edited:

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Now that I have your attention, I have the opportunity to purchase these for $100 plus shipping.
So they would end up being around $150.
I have yet to do some major research on them and I thought I would start here.

These are designed to fit a 1988 to 1995 big block truck.
The description mentions that they are designed for an engine that has been offset to the passenger side.
I am interested as they were only run for 30 minutes before they went to a turdblow set up.

I will not be "just buying them" like I did with the other set as I cannot justify the extra expense for a set of plain jane headers.

Plus I can get a new set of painted Chevelle/Camaro/Nova headers for around the same price that I know will fit with minor adjustments.

Have you used these on a 2wd Squarebody?
If so how was the fit and did you have to hammer work them at all?

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
I want to say that dyno tests happen to start at that rpm as the dyno has a difficult time loading the engine below that RPM. That would be why you don't really see any that start below 2000.

I worked in an engine dyno lab, testing the company's products. I would install them and then test the engine output recording the horsepower, torque, and emissions all the way from idle to the rpm limit.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Now that I have your attention, I have the opportunity to purchase these for $100 plus shipping.
So they would end up being around $150.
I have yet to do some major research on them and I thought I would start here.

These are designed to fit a 1988 to 1995 big block truck.
The description mentions that they are designed for an engine that has been offset to the passenger side.
I am interested as they were only run for 30 minutes before they went to a turdblow set up.

I will not be "just buying them" like I did with the other set as I cannot justify the extra expense for a set of plain jane headers.

Plus I can get a new set of painted Chevelle/Camaro/Nova headers for around the same price that I know will fit with minor adjustments.

Have you used these on a 2wd Squarebody?
If so how was the fit and did you have to hammer work them at all?

I would say it’s highly unlikely any headers meant for a GMT-400 application would work. The frame is significantly wider than a square body and if they are that tight on the application they are meant for, they probably won’t work at all on a square.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CTGAP