at my wits end on power steering pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey....lost my cool yesterday. 85 c10 the blue one.

When I put the engine in the truck I used the old pump and reservoir that was already in the the truck back on. It was leaking s one day I figured I'd fix it.

Replaced the pump and reservoir with ones from oreillys, reman.

Fixed the leak but now the box on frame leaks. Developed a bad noise like nails chalkboard. When you turn whee all the way one way and now it does it randomly while cycling the wheel. When it makes the noise the pulley is freezing up and so I pulled the pump off again last night. The magnet inside the reservoir was full of junk. Bad.

Warranteed it out for yet another reman. Installed my pulley carefully and the lines, filled it up and it makes the EXACT same noises and pulley still slips.at a loss.

Did I get another bad pump???? Is something else causing this? The belt isn't new but not bad...the pulley seems to be straight, I did notice that when I turned wheel all the way to side the pressure line tenses up real tight....

I'm to the point of getting my.money back for.this cocksucking reman ********, buying a new pump and replacing pulley belt lines and steering box

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There is a VERY distinct difference in noise between power steering belt squeal and a power steering box groan.

The fact is general over the counter stuff from large parts store is going to be a crap shoot at best when buying them.

Last edited by a moderator:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have never heard anything good about any reman pumps, just horror stories.

Last edited:

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I have never heard anything good about any reman pumps, just horror stories.

^ +1 on the reman pumps. I go to Napa or dealer for big things like water pumps, power steering pumps etc. Good luck with whatever you buy OP.:)

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Got rained out so I decided to pull the pump and will replace with a new one not reman...also will replace the lines because I'm thinking the pressure line could be collapsed inside its old as hell.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Nick, I think you are on the right track by replacing the pump and lines. :)

The main thing is that you have a plan to fix the problem and that is all that matters.:)

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I called the maker of the pump and they suggested flushing out the steering box. Since I already removed the pump all I could do was Jack the truck up and tour the wheel to and fro letting the fluid pump out of the box.

Ordered a pump, and pressure line...bought new return line, and a new belt.

Like I said, this is not a belt squeal nor a low fluid groan. It is a shriek or like a squawk. From inside the pump. Something is causing it to freeze up whether it be bad fluid or air trapped or a collapsed line. There is no noise from the belt at any time.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I called the maker of the pump and they suggested flushing out the steering box. Since I already removed the pump all I could do was Jack the truck up and tour the wheel to and fro letting the fluid pump out of the box.

Ordered a pump, and pressure line...bought new return line, and a new belt.

Like I said, this is not a belt squeal nor a low fluid groan. It is a shriek or like a squawk. From inside the pump. Something is causing it to freeze up whether it be bad fluid or air trapped or a collapsed line. There is no noise from the belt at any time.

Pumps go bad. Mine is making a horrid noise as well but I also discovered that things on my truck were not right so who knows the shape of it lol.

pacman1318

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pumps go bad. Mine is making a horrid noise as well but I also discovered that things on my truck were not right so who knows the shape of it lol.
Fill the pump and loosen the return and have a helper bump the truck over without starting it and catch it in a mason jar and see if you get any trash out of it

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Fill the pump and loosen the return and have a helper bump the truck over without starting it and catch it in a mason jar and see if you get any trash out of it

Yeah just too lazy at this moment lol. But I'll be doing a flush on it.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pulled the box off the truck and pumped some more junk out....pure metallic gunk. So I brought it to car quest and ordered a new box and Pitman arm. Now everything will be new.

Also, remember when I was told I shouldn't buy pumps from oreillys?

Yeah. Car quest is suppose to be the professional place and they carry the same brand of pump.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Carquest? Your in the country huh... Napa bud they are quality.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Eh, it's all random garbage. I've had a bunch of bad pumps from every parts store. Believe it or not, I've actually had the best luck with pumps from Advance. As for the steering box... good luck. I've found the best thing to do is take your box to a local family owned steering gear type shop and have them rebuild it. The biggest problem is shops like that are scarce now.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Even though I'm sure you are going to do a thorough flush after all repairs are completed, it might be wise to install an in-line filter (at least temporarily). You know, just in case there is some debris still hiding in a dead corner of the system.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Whatever. I'll stick with carquest the knowledge the.guys have alone is worth my money.

I'll try my luck on the box

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64