are we there yet project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Need some help, am I out of line for being a bit upset on the work that was done for $3k that I had to pay on the trunk, one part of rear floor and rear fender replacement?

You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
More

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
And last for the patch work done. It looks like what I would have done the first time I got a welder.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, it's a bit shoddy. But sad to say, that's the kind of work many shops put out.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Yeah, it's a bit shoddy. But sad to say, that's the kind of work many shops put out.
I finished climbing and looking around all the work that was done and just lost a lot of motivation. I don't have time to redo all the work that was done or the money for someone else to do so. Almost feels like it will sit for another few years before being sold. Been looking on cs for a better shell, but not much luck yet. Need to sit on it and make a plan.
Other option is to stop attempt on restoring, rattle can it, make it run and drive it

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Eh, what's done is done. Why not just carry on with the project and not worry about the shoddy work right now? Floor and trunk work can always be done later on without disturbing too much else.

It looks like at least a good portion of those booger welds penetrated, so it shouldn't keep it of the road.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Probably the best choice. Just have to somehow seal this buggers. What started this is I rearranged the garage and set it up so I can clean the interior and get inside painted. Non visible parts will be just black, and then later will paint visible inside areas silver.

Eh, what's done is done. Why not just carry on with the project and not worry about the shoddy work right now? Floor and trunk work can always be done later on without disturbing too much else.

It looks like at least a good portion of those booger welds penetrated, so it shouldn't keep it of the road.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Sad to say it looks like it was done by a first timer. I'd be very disappointed with that the work was done.

I'd continue with the project, while finding a better shop to do the panels in the meantime.

If the panels fit well, but just shoddy welds, then i'd grind it down and have them redone by a welder specializing in gas mig or tig.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $3k your guy needs a kick in the nuts. I’ve had some shoddy work like that done but I wasn’t into it that deep. It’s hard to find someone who can meet reasonable expectations for a reasonable budget.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Did you mount the seats using third gen tracks, or did the stock tracks work out ok?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Did you mount the seats using third gen tracks, or did the stock tracks work out ok?
3rd gen tracks are used, they bolt in in the front, but in the rear need an offset welded in. I am planning to try and fit 3rd gen seats in the back as well, just have not gotten that far yet

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I am planning to email some pictures and see if they want to fix it. Sad part is that I took it to the place in this area that everybody refers to instead of the cheaper shop that I was talking with at the time
For $3k your guy needs a kick in the nuts. I’ve had some shoddy work like that done but I wasn’t into it that deep. It’s hard to find someone who can meet reasonable expectations for a reasonable budget.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
3rd gen tracks are used, they bolt in in the front, but in the rear need an offset welded in. I am planning to try and fit 3rd gen seats in the back as well, just have not gotten that far yet

I've got them sitting in the rear of a 2nd gen, they could fit ok-ish. It would be interesting to see in a 1st gen.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Slowly moving along, headers installed but need to clearance a bit for the steering box. Starting to clean it and measuring up the modifications needed for the fuel tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boukeelynn