Are my secondaries working? (Video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Hey guys, I apologize if this is a stupid question or if I am clearly missing something, but I opened the air flap on the top and fully opened the throttle linkage and the secondaries do not open. I wedged it open for the purpose of a video. Is this normal? I’ve noticed it’s not peppy while driving, just off the line.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
needs to be running, secondaries are vacuum operated.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
needs to be running, secondaries are vacuum operated.

Makes sense. Why do the back flaps move a little then? They move ever so slightly by the linkage.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
They're not true vacuum secondaries. The throttle plates are mechanical, the air door responds to air flow. There's something wrong with your linkage.

Last edited:

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The secondary throttle plates inside the body should be moving as the linkage moves to full throttle. The top air doors that you blocked open are the vacuum/demand part of the carburetor.

There is also a secondary lockout that is connected to the choke mechanism. It locks the secondaries until the choke is off. However, it should be off because you are holding the choke open manually.

Bruce

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Thank you all, I thought something was up.... I’m really hoping someone didn’t put the wrong intake on this thing. I didn’t think to check the lockout on the passenger side. Also, those back secondaries and pretty wide, they may not have clearance to open now that I look at my intake. I’ll go tinker later and see what I find.

Thanks for confirming that something was wrong. I saw a linkage going to the secondaries, but wasn’t sure if there was some type of vacuum actuation or not.

Last edited:

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Just ran out and messed around. The secondary lockout is NOT obstructing the secondaries.
You must be registered for see images attach

I also pivoted the secondaries from that pin you see, and they fully open, so it’s not a situation where the butterflies are hitting the intake.

How do I adjust the linkage on the drivers side? That seems to be my culprit.

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Did you try disconnecting the throttle cable and whatever other attachments from the throttle lever and moving it? Maybe you're just not getting full travel because something is interfering or hung up. Hard to see in the video.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Found “A” solution, not sure if it was the problem.... The 4 barrels open 100% now. I am finally able to hear the famous moan of a Quadrajet. Even at full throttle, the rod was NOT long enough, so I stretched the angle out until it opened them.

Before:

After:

**I do NOT recommend bending stuff like I did... After looking at Google images, it looks like I bent it out of the factory angle.... I just did it to see and it worked.

This could be VERY dangerous as I had initially bent the horizontal flat part of the rod and by doing that, it shortened the length, as a result, it cracked the secondaries open at idle. So I started it and it was idling at 3,000 rpm..... Not good. Still not sure what the problem was, could be that someone stuck the wrong rod in??? I don’t know, this truck has been played with a lot over the years so nothing surprises me.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
referrich