Are crate motors really cheaper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Be careful on what you buy from Summit. I heard some of there internal parts are junk and dont last as long. Might be better off to spend the extra cash and rebuild what you got.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I compare building an engine vs buying a crate engine to building or buying a computer. For YEARS the mainstream computer manufacturers were using Chinese capacitors that would blow within a few months. But if you built your own with high-performance mainboards, RAM, CPU + cooler, etc you could easily have a computer that would run a lot longer than its expected lifespan. Given the choice I would always build instead of buy.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I compare building an engine vs buying a crate engine to building or buying a computer. For YEARS the mainstream computer manufacturers were using Chinese capacitors that would blow within a few months. But if you built your own with high-performance mainboards, RAM, CPU + cooler, etc you could easily have a computer that would run a lot longer than its expected lifespan. Given the choice I would always build instead of buy.

I have a while to decide but I am leaning towards building. That eagle rotating assembly looks sweet, very quality.

I like the idea of buying things one part at a time over more time, it will cost more but spread out over a while it would be easier to to spend 600 here and there than to save up 1600 bucks. I am terrible at saving money.

Same time... **** man, I am just building this thing back to a stock configuration. I was not really planning on building a hot rod out of it but I might just start an engine project, last one I put together was in 03 and I kinda miss it.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Be careful on what you buy from Summit. I heard some of there internal parts are junk and dont last as long. Might be better off to spend the extra cash and rebuild what you got.

all of their internal parts can be found elsewhere in the catalog under a different manufacturer's name... NEVER had a bad Summit product.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
I have a while to decide but I am leaning towards building. That eagle rotating assembly looks sweet, very quality.

I like the idea of buying things one part at a time over more time, it will cost more but spread out over a while it would be easier to to spend 600 here and there than to save up 1600 bucks. I am terrible at saving money.

Same time... **** man, I am just building this thing back to a stock configuration. I was not really planning on building a hot rod out of it but I might just start an engine project, last one I put together was in 03 and I kinda miss it.

if you're just building back to stock, why even consider the eagle rotating assembly? you can have the crank polished, rods reconditioned, and the entire rotating assembly balanced and then some for the extra you're going to pay for the Eagle crank and rods. i've heard too much bad about eagle cranks to even remotely consider them. and though the kit says its balanced, you shouldn't trust that. i've heard of too many kits being out of balance right out of the box.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I would not depend too much on the Summit or Jegs guys. They mean well, but most of their parts are made in china and sub par.

Becareful of their "engine Kits" They will advertise something like mahle pistons, but the rest of the components will be junk. Or it may be a scat crank, or comp cam, etc. They put 1 or 2 "good name" parts in the kit, then fill it with sub-par parts like eagle cranks, etc.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
The one thing you are over looking and the reason most of us get into building cars and trucks, is the one statement that most of us have said "I Built That" I'm not knocking crate motors or anything, I like to build my own because I know what went into it, and what it took to build it.

I have heard good and bad about Eagle, never have used one. Danny Crower of Crower Cams is a good friend, and gives me a discount on parts, so that is what I'm going to rebuild my Big Block with when I get ready to do it.

If you are going to just rebuild you motor stock, you don't need to piss away your money on Name Brand stuff when stock will work just fine.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I agree, I rebuilt my 2-bolt main with just rings, bearings and gaskets for $1,200 and that included chrome valve covers, timing chain cover, oil pan, Edelbrock cam, intake, carb, and Accel Supercoil. It's all the other "might as well put on a new one of those" stuff that adds up.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
If you are rebuilding to stock specs you might as well do it yourself Iman. But you will be constantly tempted to wander off the path into higher performance. The SBC is simply so easy (and cheap) to build up that it will be very difficult to stick to a stock spec build. This becomes even more true if you do all of your browsing on Summit or Jegs, where they are focused primarily on building higher performance. The crate motor, IMO is for situations where you have more money than you do time, and need the vehicle up and running in short order. Since you are'nt pressed for time, you have the luxury of buying the parts you want (or need) when you have the money. Going at it this way you probably can, and will save dough over buying a ready to run crate engine that you really don't NEED. On a side note, machine shops aren't exactly famous for their next day turn-around. In my experience they are just like gunsmiths. Fast, Reliable, Cheap, pick only two. LOL For me, I had less than three months when my engine blew, so I had to have a replacent QUICK. Fortunately for me I had the money to buy exactly what I wanted, which was a crate engine and I haven't looked back since.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Its settled, I am going to build a motor and I might as well get some more ponies out of it.

I think I can squeeze some life out of my 305 in the meantime.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I would not depend too much on the Summit or Jegs guys. They mean well, but most of their parts are made in china and sub par.

The counter salesmen in the Jegs stores are not like that. They are honest and will tell you what brand people have the best luck with. If there is a Jegs banded item that has problems, they won't recommend it to me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Crate is better than Jasper and cheaper in cost too. Jasper runs crapy in a gm truck. Jasper runs better in a Ford.

I"ll disagree with that statement. Jasper motors are expensive, but their nationwide warranty is good. Also Jasper doesn't miss a step when they build a motor. They resize rods and all. They are also built in USA. Crate motors are new motors, assembled in Mexico. Some say the blocks are inferior steel and very very low nickel content. So, either way, I think you're probably getting what you pay for. Myself, I'm not afraid of a $1700 Heche en Mexico Crate motor with Nodular Iron Crank, Powder Metal Rods and 4 bolt main.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
if you're just building back to stock, why even consider the eagle rotating assembly? you can have the crank polished, rods reconditioned, and the entire rotating assembly balanced and then some for the extra you're going to pay for the Eagle crank and rods. i've heard too much bad about eagle cranks to even remotely consider them. and though the kit says its balanced, you shouldn't trust that. i've heard of too many kits being out of balance right out of the box.

I agree with this. I don't buy crank kits, or rotating assemblies. Have your rods magnafluxed, shot peened, resized and fitted with ARP chromolly rod bolts. Have your crank magnafluxed, turned .010/.010 if it cleans up there, have the oil holes at least chamfered and possibly cross drilled depending on the rpm you're going to run. And of course, have the crank, rods and pistons balananced along with your pistons hung on the rods with the wrist pins press fit. If you're going hi po, you might even consider have your small end of your rods bushed, but not necessary. If you do all that, you are likley to have a better quality OEM rotating assembly than you would an aftermarket kit and for less money with factory OEM cast #'s. JMO. Unless you're running a stroker motor, no need to go aftermarket crank kit.:grd:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Its settled, I am going to build a motor and I might as well get some more ponies out of it.

I think I can squeeze some life out of my 305 in the meantime.

Go for it. Remember what 85K10 said about it being easy to change your mind as you go along and add performance, cuz you will. You've got some good info here on this thead already. If you listen to everyone, you'll do just fine. You mention you want to add some ponies, it easily done. Are you wanting to re ring a motor, or bore it and buy new pistons? If going with new pistons, I'd follow along with 1lows motor build for his 65 and go with flat top pistons. This will allow you to go with a step or 2 above RV cam and not suffer compression ratio. A balanced 2 bolt main 350 with cast crank and cast pistons will turn 6500 without a problem provided you're not going to use giggly juice. Do remember my post above, having the rods worked over with ARP rod bolts, shot peened, magged and all. If using giggly juice, you better go forged pistons and 4 bolt main.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taco main chew