Appraise my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yikes !!! I hate these type threads. They usually end up with someone offended and some butt hurt.

In short, the value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it and IF they have that much green in their hand. I could tell you I'd give you 10 Grand for it, but if I don't have it then how realistic is that? Then I might have 20 grand in my pocket and tell you I'd give you $5000 for it right now if you have the clean title and ready to sign it. Then that's what it's worth at that given minute, real cash money.

Do keep in mind, these trucks are NOT investments. They are money losers 90% of the time. Kinda like most things that depreciate in value. Trailer houses depreciate in value, solid built brick homes on a fixed foundation appreciate in value. That's the difference between the two in real life.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’m in the rust belt but I’m a cheap ass impulse buyer. That looks like a very nice truck but I wouldn’t buy it unless it was under $5000 because it would be “too nice to pass up” at that price.

I’d expect to see an $8500 asking price here in SW Ohio as it sits. Maybe $1000 more if it had a solid paint job. There are a lot of guys asking similar numbers for much crappier trucks though.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I’m in the rust belt. There are a lot of guys asking similar numbers for much crappier trucks though.
Same over here in northeast PA. I looked at a totally otted **** box on friday that they were askin $2k for!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I’m in the rust belt but I’m a cheap ass impulse buyer. That looks like a very nice truck but I wouldn’t buy it unless it was under $5000 because it would be “too nice to pass up” at that price.

I’d expect to see an $8500 asking price here in SW Ohio as it sits. Maybe $1000 more if it had a solid paint job. There are a lot of guys asking similar numbers for much crappier trucks though.

The prices just keep getting higher around here, don't they? There's some really average and worn out trucks with asking prices over 5k. The decent trucks are literally all over the place, as far as pricing. Even the '88-'98 trucks are getting really spendy, if they are a short bed.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yikes !!! I hate these type threads. They usually end up with someone offended and some butt hurt.

In short, the value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it and IF they have that much green in their hand. I could tell you I'd give you 10 Grand for it, but if I don't have it then how realistic is that? Then I might have 20 grand in my pocket and tell you I'd give you $5000 for it right now if you have the clean title and ready to sign it. Then that's what it's worth at that given minute, real cash money.

Do keep in mind, these trucks are NOT investments. They are money losers 90% of the time. Kinda like most things that depreciate in value. Trailer houses depreciate in value, solid built brick homes on a fixed foundation appreciate in value. That's the difference between the two in real life.

Lol let him get butthurt all he wants, welcome to the internet. That's what we do here, make fun of ppl anonymously.

Obiewon is a good old boy, i'm bettin hd didn't bring his feelings. Nobody builds one of these truck to sell it - thinking they can make money. Dude wants the opinion of us, his PEERS.

A buyer may have to spend considerable monies on their end, I try to accomodate in the thought process.

I wish to take this moment and thank the OP for the thread. It has made me look at plastidip in a new light.! Best wishes and good luck.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Oh ****. It looks pretty expensive to me!

Round here? I see guys with AVERAGE condition squares -4x4 shorts- 5-6 grand ALL DAY. :( For AVERAGE trucks. :imo: yours is better than average condition.
Pretty OBVIOUS that you built a $10,000 truck you'll be lucky to get 8500 for. I'd keep it.
The stereo equipment could be sold separately simply to recoup the cost...SO. are we considering as a whole or in parts?
It's been my experience that simething like your truck is worth more in parts because it is too PREVIOUS owner specific. :IMO:

Remember old @rich weyand ?
What did he sell his truck for? $10 grand? It's possible. That seems like a "reasonable" high side , to me, for these trucks and something like you have- which is wicked nice.

Tough to negotiate up-start high! :waytogo:

Rich's truck as example? It was worth 10 or 11 but it was shiny.. I don't remember what he got but custom thirty or forty year old trucks hit the same "custom wall" We should know what he got. You should tell us lol. Looking at YOURS? NOW?

Is it actually fast or just loud? The uber popular heads increase the value a lot, imo. I'd leave em.

I'm kinda stuck around 8-8500 IF it's quick because it certainly isn't pretty. :p
The paint is ass and kills the high $ potential for me. Pretend i'm a potential buyer.

With a decent paint job is it gonna be worth 12k? 14k? Not from my point of view and paint jobs are expensive!

The "custom wall" gives credit for the blanket wanted and accepted upgrades (heads/fan/efi/etc) which improve value. Lookin at the truck it is OBVIOUS you know ALL about that truck and how to work on it. That is both good and bad, as you know. Promising yet scary - simultaneously.

How much is it gonna cost ME to undo seller's custom paint job and change the wheels+tires? THEN Paint it?
Yes. The custom wall I call it.

I’m assuming he got what he was asking for it. In Indiana, it sounds like that’ll fly, but that truck would have probably been a seven grand truck here, maybe $7500 since it was K-truck. The engine build was tastefully done, great interior, pretty much ready to go. The body was not as good as this one, though, and that would hurt you where no rust or little rust are more commonplace that rust buckets. This one is probably as good as it gets as far as body goes.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins

That is exactly why I'm building my 79 with no intention to sell it ever, cause if I was I'd lose my ass six ways to Sunday with the amount of labor I have in it. Really with any car there is no money to be made by restoring them to sell, you have to do it as a commission to make money.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size

I made this thread asking for opinions, and read every comment knowing that it’s just that, an opinion, I appreciate everyone adding to the thread too!

As I stand right now I’m problably going to post it as it is for 10000, and sell for anything above 8500, even though honestly if I was the buyer I wouldn’t pay over 6, reason being it is MY truck, and I love this thing, and since I don’t NEED to sell it I don’t want to settle

The only big reason for selling is the milage, even with the 9:1 heads, efi, good timing, overdrive etc, I get maybe 10 city if I don’t lay into it, and it’s my daily that I commute in, I just can’t afford it easily snymore

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Buy a $2k Corolla or something similar to commute in maybe?

Then you can keep the truck.
I’ve looked into it but between finding a parking space at home and insurance, I can only hold one car in my life right now, and I know my way around a small block pretty well by now so a c4 just kinda naturally came to mind

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Omg lmao. That is freaking hilarious!
I know my way around a small block pretty well by now so a c4 just kinda naturally came to mind

Omfg roffel. THAT is epic funny right thurr! :favorites13:

My head said "third gen" but hey, whatever! :gathering:
What ever happened to dude's red LT1 car? Maybe he's ready to sell?

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Omg lmao. That is freaking hilarious!

Omfg roffel. THAT is epic funny right thurr! :favorites13:

My head said "third gen" but hey, whatever! :gathering:
What ever happened to dude's red LT1 car? Maybe he's ready to sell?
I know that’s the usual light newer car to go to for a small block, but I just can’t stand the look of them. I figure a c4 would have:
Overdrive from the factory
Rear independent suspension
Factory fuel injection
Disc brakes all around
Weigh 1000 lbs less off the bat
Be the “newest” car with a small block

So it just made sence to me‍♂️

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude. This is too funny..

See I got this other buddy, he started complaining about the MPG of his old faithful truck that HE built...says he wants to swap it out for something that gets better gas mileage. Wants to swap STEEL for PLASTIC..
o_O

OBVIOUSLY a thirty year old CORVETTE is first choice.

- Why?
What were you thinking?
Four cylinder shitbox?

/facepalm?
Nope...somehow not good enough.

Enter the DOUBLE FACEPALM.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I made this thread asking for opinions, and read every comment knowing that it’s just that, an opinion, I appreciate everyone adding to the thread too!

As I stand right now I’m problably going to post it as it is for 10000, and sell for anything above 8500, even though honestly if I was the buyer I wouldn’t pay over 6, reason being it is MY truck, and I love this thing, and since I don’t NEED to sell it I don’t want to settle

The only big reason for selling is the milage, even with the 9:1 heads, efi, good timing, overdrive etc, I get maybe 10 city if I don’t lay into it, and it’s my daily that I commute in, I just can’t afford it easily snymore

Glad gas prices are cheap here in Arkansas. I get about 10mpg in the suburban(regular gas)

I get around 13mpg in the Aviator(premium gas)

Always been smiles per gallon for me.

Just park it, and get a gas saver. You will regret selling just because of mileage. Thats not a good enough reason for this Redneck. LOL

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Dude. This is too funny..

See I got this other buddy, he started complaining about the MPG of his old faithful truck that HE built...says he wants to swap it out for something that gets better gas mileage. Wants to swap STEEL for PLASTIC..
o_O

OBVIOUSLY a thirty year old CORVETTE is first choice.

- Why?
What were you thinking?
Four cylinder shitbox?

/facepalm?
Nope...somehow not good enough.

Enter the DOUBLE FACEPALM.

You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah I know a corvette isn’t the BEST thing for milage, but since I can only have one car in my life rn it seems like the best compromise between practicality and go fast, but unless I get 8500 for it, I’ll problably buy a new msd distributor and let the efi control timing as well In an attempt to save whatever milage I can

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising