Almost done, need help with highbeam switch and shifter indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I've just about got my 87 v10 on the road and I need help getting a couple of things back together:

My shift indicator was broken when I got it and didn't have a wire attached. Does anyone have a pic showing how it attaches to the column? The new one has a clip attached to the wire but I can't seem to find where to hook it.

My second issue is I tore down the steering column and tightened the bolts and replaced the shifter spring. My highbeams were inop when I got it and I assume the rod for the high beam was not installed correctly. I put it back together the same way it was and of course, it still doesn't work. Does anyone have a pick on how that goes together? Does the rod go through the piece that always falls out?

A bonus would be if anyone has a pic of the spring that goes into the black cam. After I put it back together my steering wheel no longer locks. I'm going to be away for a couple days but would love to get this truck on the road right after Christmas. Thanks in advance

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I've just about got my 87 v10 on the road and I need help getting a couple of things back together:

My shift indicator was broken when I got it and didn't have a wire attached. Does anyone have a pic showing how it attaches to the column? The new one has a clip attached to the wire but I can't seem to find where to hook it.

My second issue is I tore down the steering column and tightened the bolts and replaced the shifter spring. My highbeams were inop when I got it and I assume the rod for the high beam was not installed correctly. I put it back together the same way it was and of course, it still doesn't work. Does anyone have a pick on how that goes together? Does the rod go through the piece that always falls out?

A bonus would be if anyone has a pic of the spring that goes into the black cam. After I put it back together my steering wheel no longer locks. I'm going to be away for a couple days but would love to get this truck on the road right after Christmas. Thanks in advance

It just clips to the plastic piece, there's no set place for it to clip to. I usually just put the shifter in first, pull the indicator all the way down and clip it to the column piece.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Spring installed with set screw.

You must be registered for see images attach

Full lock, key in accy.

Key in wheel unlock.

Unlocked, key in START.

Last edited:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I don't have any pics but the toothed slide below the black cam has to be hooked onto a pin in the lower part of the steering column.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
awesome! thank you. I can't wait to get back and fix er up.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
If I can find all my column parts, I'll show how to install the high bean crap.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Awesome pics Retro. I'm going to copy that info to the column thread when you are done here. :)

Posted from mobile...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69