Shift Position Indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
My shift position indicator is off and needs adjusting to point at the selected position. It seems the adjustment would consist of removing the clip that secures the shift position indicator cable from the column and then reattaching it to get everything lined up properly. Am I correct? Can you remove and reinstall the clips without damaging them and needing to replace them?

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
You can get an entire new mechanism from any of the many parts shops as I'm sure you likely have looked. I went through this with my truck. After the first attempt was successful for a little while and then it slipped again a few times, I finally got it to work for good(so far). I will try to make this a short winded story... I purchased a new piece to attach. The previous owner had one in the bench console. Between the two sets I got it hooked up. On the second attempt and seeing the needle rub against the gear indicator I was so frustrated but was going to make it work. I got a bar of soap and rubbed it on the wire that attaches to the moving part of the steering column and the face if the needle as well as the back of the shift indicator. It works like a charm now.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Also,
I see you have an 87 as well. I think the attaching clip from the wire to the column changed a few times in the 80's. Some videos I watched had clips that screwed on and some didn't. Mine has the kind that just clips to the moving collar on the column. You will have to take the bezel off and all that but you have done that recently putting in your clock and sweet new steering wheel. You can do it! The soap works wonders. It's just way smoother.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Where are you in central VA? I'm in Midlothian.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Seeing what you originally asked, yes you will just have to do some trial and error to get it lined up just right but it shouldn't take too long. 30 minutes for the whole job most likely.

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
Thank you @JamesSam! I’ll give it a shot will be removing the instrument bezel again n a month or so to install a new dash pad.

I live just outside Lynchburg VA, may 2 hours from Midlothian. We train frequently in the state forests in that area.

duece1951

Reaction score
First Name
thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C1500
Engine Size
My shift position indicator is off and needs adjusting to point at the selected position. It seems the adjustment would consist of removing the clip that secures the shift position indicator cable from the column and then reattaching it to get everything lined up properly. Am I correct? Can you remove and reinstall the clips without damaging them and needing to replace them?
Yes you can adjust the indicator with the clip. As long as it does not bend when you take it off you can reuse it. LMC was the least expensive that I found for a new one. Just replaced mine last week, the orange needle was snapped in half.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1