Air Horns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So who has added an air horn to their truck? I want to, but I don't want to buy something online that I don't know how it sounds or how loud it is. I don't really want a train horn because they are super expensive to get them to sound right. I just want a horn that sounds like a big rig.

Any recommendations?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have a set sitting in the garage off a Peterbuilt. They were mounted on the rear facing side of my tool box behind the cab on my '89 K1500 EC SB. One facing each side of the bed, and slightly tilted down to keep the rain water out. I'd like to mount them under my Burb on the frame rails. I am just worried about wintertime destroying them. I had them on the roof of my minivan too, lol... :wtf:

You must be registered for see images attach

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
This reminds me, they have an air horn setup at Harbor Freight for cheap, I spotted it last visit. Have no idea what it sounds like or how long it would last though. It came with a mini-compressor and 3 horns, I guess you could tune it by eliminating the smaller horn and finding a larger horn for the lower sound range online or at a tractor-trailer supply store. I always wanted to find a horn from a ship, like a fog horn lol always thought that would be cool! I figure the bigger the horn the more air it takes to power it though.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cool I'll check it out. I don't care about looks because I am going to mount them under the truck.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Almost any air horn can sound like a big truck horn but stagard sizes and 1/2in line with a large reservoir is the key to LOUD.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Does brand matter? Or is there a certain set of sizes to look for?

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
Air horns like their name implies need compressed air to function right? Or do they work some other way?

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
I always picture air tanks that have to be filled occasionallly with a pressure hose in these. But some "air horns" in police cars use some other source besides air tanks, but I have no idea what it is.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have an electric air compressor made for air horns/bags/etc with a built in pressure switch. Got it from JCW.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
I have an electric air compressor made for air horns/bags/etc with a built in pressure switch. Got it from JCW.

That sounds like what I am thinking of. Are they expensive? I used to have a police siren/PA system in FRANKENTRUCK. When the motor was fried several years ago I tranferred it to my 78 Jeep J10 instead. That PA system does WONDERS for clearing out of the way inconsiderate incompetant idiots who walk in the MIDDLE of the road with their backs to me (acting as if they are not going to move). Crank that sucker's volume up, a loud, "GET OUT OF THE ROAD!!!!" in the mic, and they will be jumping for the ditch in no time. My new front clip has 2 horns unlike my old single one, but I may want to upgrade to the air horn if it is affordable.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Real ones,are the best but just about anyone will do.
yes air.

So who makes the "real ones"? Anytime I search on ebay for something like "Peterbuilt" or "Kenworth" or "truck horn" it just shows these generic kits that look like they were made in China or something. Where do I get a real one other than a salvage yard for trucks? (If I knew where one was I'd gladly go get one, but I don't know where they are)

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
So who makes the "real ones"? Anytime I search on ebay for something like "Peterbuilt" or "Kenworth" or "truck horn" it just shows these generic kits that look like they were made in China or something. Where do I get a real one other than a salvage yard for trucks? (If I knew where one was I'd gladly go get one, but I don't know where they are)
The real ones on trains are usualy "Nathans" or "Leslies"<not sure if I spelled that right. The one from thr chrome shops will soud real good too.
Check these out. THe chrome train horns are aftermarket horns, not real like the painted horns.
http://www.4statetrucks.com/exterior/semi-truck-train-horns_263.asp

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Dealership for the genuine stuff. I got mine off one of our wrecked Pete's that layed over. Grabbed them before the ins co picked it up. :roflbow:

Look on CL too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80