How does horn get activated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So, I don't know why I can't wrap my brain around this, but I had to take wheel off to replace ignition lock cylinder and noticed when I took off the horn pad that it didn't push down. I mean, typically you push down and the button depresses and the horn sounds, right? lol
So, can someone shed some light for me as to what could be set up wrong here? I know it could be the horns, and the relay and the fuse, but I am wanting to know why the pad doesn't depress to make it sound off in the first place.

Thanks in advance. Pics for reference.
-Dan

Attachments

• IMG_9769 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9769 Large.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9770 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9770 Large.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9773 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9773 Large.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 78

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
In the first pic, there's probably crap and corrosion behind the round part with 3 screws.
Looks like the wire is missing out of that plastic holder/insert thing?

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
In the first pic, there's probably crap and corrosion behind the round part with 3 screws.
I cleaned it all out when putting it back together, but still nothing, but also, nothing moves. Somethings should move when you press the horn pad in order to close the circuit and activate the horn, right? Everything is tighten down, and nothing moves under the pad.
Looks like the wire is missing out of that plastic holder/insert thing?
Hello, are you talking about the little plunger that I am holding in my hand? It doesn’t look like anything connects to the bottom of it, or that anything is broken off. Is that metal ring in the middle supposed to have play in it? Like move back and forth? The whole thing was tighten down all the way, and there is no play for any kind of button.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I cleaned it all out when putting it back together, but still nothing, but also, nothing moves. Somethings should move when you press the horn pad in order to close the circuit and activate the horn, right? Everything is tighten down, and nothing moves under the pad.

Hello, are you talking about the little plunger that I am holding in my hand? It doesn’t look like anything connects to the bottom of it, or that anything is broken off. Is that metal ring in the middle supposed to have clay in it? Like move back and forth? The whole thing was tighten down all the way, and there is no play for any kind of button.
Yes there should be a spring loaded wire with a brass contact

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes there should be a spring loaded wire with a brass contact
So, where are you see the pic with the plunger under the plunger there is a spring, but when you remove the wheel and the locking plate that is part of a plastic piece that comes off. Underneath that is the third pic you see that I posted. There is a spring Loaded plunger there to the right in the turn signal switch, but it doesn’t come out, so maybe that is the one that is connected to the wire?

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Maybe this will help.

by the way, just in case you didn't know.. all you are are doing is completing the ground to activate the horn.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    226.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 2.png
    2.png
    376.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1b.png
    1b.png
    271.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 1a.png
    1a.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Below the piece held down by 3 screws is this spring piece. Does your truck have it ?
Yes, it is there with spring and locking plunger, but when wheel is put on and that rusty metal ring is bolted down, I think it gets permanently pressed in.
Maybe this will help.

by the way, just in case you didn't know.. all you are are doing is completing the ground to activate the horn.
Right, that is what I was saying before, and this would make me think the metal ring under the pad shouldn't be bolted down tight? When I press the pad on the wheel, what is it underneath that pushes down to push in the plunger to close the circuit?

Attachments

• IMG_9771 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9771 Large.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 44

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If I understand your question-

A convexed piece of metal. (contacts the plunger piece to ground it.-) Goldie Driver's post #7 shows it. Watch the videos I posted #11 they explain it. The second video is short and should answer your question.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1