WTF horn issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gregmajor

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good afternoon, folks!

I’m trying to figure out why my ‘79 does t have a horn. I picked up some parts from LMC in anticipation, but now I’m kinda baffled.

I pulled the steering wheel and started inspecting, but I’m confused by what I’m seeing (and not seeing). Nothing seems to match up to the diagrams I’ve got. The plunger (not the steering lock) doesn’t do anything.

Maybe a bad fuse/relay? I’m hoping someone that has torn into one of these columns recently can give me a hint.

Attachments

• IMG_0874.jpeg
    IMG_0874.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0873.jpeg
    IMG_0873.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0872.jpeg
    IMG_0872.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0871.png
    IMG_0871.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 41

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Looks like you're missing 2-6
You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Find the black wire in the turn signal switch connector. Ground that wire, the horn should sound. If so, the problem is definitely in the column.

If not, you have problems over and beyond the missing parts

gregmajor

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sorry for resurrecting this zombie, but re-reading Matt69olds' reply raised a question for me. I believe that I have all of the required parts now and that they're installed according to all of the instructions I could find (put a pin in that). I also replaced the horn fuse which was blown.

Now if I ground the pin (the one backed by a spring in the turn signal cam) I can hear the horn relay click. That's progress! What I haven't done is pull out the grille and test to make sure I've got 12V to the horn. When I do, I'll of course test the horn to make sure it isn't bad.

What confuses the heck out of me, however, is that despite being able to make the relay click via grounding it to the steering shaft, when I re-assemble the wheel everything seems to be right. The buckling disc sits where it's supposed to and all that. My expectation is that the relay would click when I hit the horn, but instead I get nothing at all.

Re-reading Matt69olds' reply makes me wonder about the wire he's referencing. I don't see a black wire (reference the pictures in my original post). Where would it connect? I'd like to chase this down before I tear the grille off and chase that rabbit.

Thanks folks!

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
At least its a truck and you have some room !

gregmajor

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Progress! I pulled a horn from a buddy’s salvage Tahoe and now if I ground the spring pin to the steering shaft I e got a horn! What I’m really struggling to understand is how the buckling plate assembly is supposed to work.

I’m assuming that spring pin rides against the back of the steering wheel. If that’s the case, why doesn’t the horn blow constantly? After all, it’s all metal. I don’t understand how that buckling plate is supposed to work. This just isn’t making sense to me at all.

If a screwdriver can connect the pin and the steering shaft to make the horn blow, why wouldn’t the solid metal center of the steering wheel? Is there an insulator I’m not seeing in the wheel? Maybe my pin isn’t making contact with the wheel?

Damn this is harder than it should be!

gregmajor

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hmmm… so I dabbed a little paint on the end of the plunger and then discovered that my steering wheel nut might be stripped. All I know at this point is that the plunger doesn’t seem to make contact with the steering wheel and that I need to make another trip to the parts store.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
When the buckling plate flattens out due to the horn pad being pressed it makes contact with that pin and completes the circuit. The pin goes through a hole in the steering wheel and sits in plastic so it is not in contact with any metal in or on the steering wheel.

If you install the plate and it makes contact with the pin and the steering shift as you are positioning it then the horn will blow assuming the rest of the system is correct.

gregmajor

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh crud! I’ve been assembling it all wrong. Holy smokes! Thank you for that! It all makes soooo much more sense now!

gregmajor

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Something seems wrong. The only hole I can even close doesn’t line up at all. Even if it did, I don’t think it would stick out enough, but I’m not sure.

gregmajor

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

The plunger doesn’t even reach the collar. I swear, I’m going to kidnap a bad clown and just crush his nuts and call it a horn to pass inspection.

gregmajor

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Apologies if I’m offensive. It’s “divorce week” and I’ve been struggling with this ‘79 for a few months. Feels like a one step forward situation. I appreciate everyone’s help.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
You are still missing some parts. Go back and look at the pictures in your 1st post. It's the black and white horn components one. Now even that one does not show the lock plate that is missing.

This video still shows the lock plate I am referring to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1