Absolute factory clearance & steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-ROD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello I haven't been on much over the past year because of some issues but I have been working with my truck and some great ideas I guess on how & what can be done with stock clearance on my 85 rebuild, I've been trying to keep this truck the stock truck, n only made a few aftermarket touches and some blend very well as original improvements, but getting off subject a bit so heres the question. Just exactly how big can I go with tires on stock rally 8inchers?? I hear alot of things but I know its got 31s and I was thinking maybe 32x12.50R15s? Because it's just enough to fill the wells nicely and doesn't seem like it would have much sidewall bulge,, I even thought about maybe using those load adjusting shocks for hopefully an almost inch more clearance parked and curb weight, question 2, got a fusible link bad, going in to fix it but forgot what size the 2 on starter is and the on on the firewall, It seems legible to use a 14 because it's a 10 it is protecting but I've seen another one that is 3 sizes smaller because it was protecting something else upstream, so just wondering if there was a diagram in our LP library specific to my truck because it seems to have a few rarities, and what sizes the links are, and where the main ones are, I know of the main three, and the fuses & relays, thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
question 2, got a fusible link bad, going in to fix it but forgot what size the 2 on starter is and the on on the firewall, It seems legible to use a 14 because it's a 10 it is protecting but I've seen another one that is 3 sizes smaller because it was protecting something else upstream, so just wondering if there was a diagram in our LP library specific to my truck because it seems to have a few rarities, and what sizes the links are, and where the main ones are, I know of the main three, and the fuses & relays, thanks!

The links down at the solenoid are 14 and 16 AWG. Thee one up at the FW JB is a 16. The dwg below doesn't show your exact model year but the links are the same.

The correct fusible link is 4 sizes smaller than the wiring it is intended to protect.

I am only aware of 3 links - the ones shown below.

You must be registered for see images attach

T-ROD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks, I was thinking that was the case and hoping so, I bought a 14 the other day, the funny thing about that truck is that is has a real thick factory harness for the charging circuit, the smallest wires are either a 8 or a 10 gauge from the alternator, then it has some extra wires that are stock that go inside as if it were ordered for heavy duty options or high output and add on use, title and rpo codes are contradicting also, but I would still stick with obvious sizes for fuses and whatnot, I wasn't going to go bigger than 14 for most since I was unsure, It has some other wiring that I've done that has factory style connectors, only because I've tried to keep it original

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
My '75 has some additional wiring for the 2nd battery and camper special package, but I think its the same 10 gauge charge wire that was used for the primary battery. I also had a separate power relay on the driver's side fender, which was used to disconnect the 2nd battery from the engine when the truck is not running, so you could power a camper from the aux battery and not run down the primary battery. I don't have a 2nd battery installed, so all the wiring dead-ends at the relay.

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704