About differentials

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
In fact the differentials were improved for the '89 model year...but I think the spring perches changed .... I do not believe an '89 differential will bolt in place of an '88 differential.

Moving to that newer style would indeed be an upgrade. The bearingsgotbigger or something..:shrug:
I thought this thread aughta have something useful about differentials in it...

Oh, you're talking about the switch from 28 spline to 30 spline axles. That was the only difference... the inner shafts and the carrier. Everything else was the same. I've got a '91 front axle assembly in my '88.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
· there ya go. 30 spline axles . i'm thinking the bearings changed too though. I dunno what or who is the authority about that however. :(
But ...I

Wait!

So youre saying an 89 axle WILL bolt in place of an 88 axle? That's awesome BECAUSE the 89 axles are in fact, better.. AND since my 88 front is giving me trouble - I can't nake good sense out of fixing an 88 when I could buy an entire 89 unit for less and be money ahead AND end up with a better 10 bolt.. BUT im not convinced itll bolt in. Are you sure the springs didn't change 88-88?

It is effing ridiculously expensive to repair or rebuild a front axle IF you can find a willing mechanic, in my experience. It's gonna be $500 one way or the other, why spend it in an 88 axle if 89s are better?

Knowwhatimsayin?

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Is there a way to tell what gears you have in the rear end without removing the cover?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
About differentials... Is a 88-91 front differential a direct bolt in to a 1988 model? I know those differentials were superior to the 88s and I could buy one if I wanted it bad enough, but will it bolt in?

I bet not.

If you are referring to solid axles in 1/2 ton trucks,

Pretty sure the 10 bolt is standard from like, 77-78ish all the way to 1991.

The D44 was used from 73 to like, 75 or something indefinitely, then as stated above, there was a transitional period where the trucks could have been a d44 or a 10 bolt in the mid-later 70's, then 78 and up was when the 10 bolt became standard equipment in the 1/2 ton trucks.

Theyre all 31.5" centerpin

That an iirc, knowwhatimsaying?

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Oh and by the way, this thread is filled with absolute crotchety, old, bitter, and cancerous content regarding vortec heads and solid axles.

Its buttered toast on a cat time @Ricko1966

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
IFS? GTFO of here with that ****. Ain't nobody give a f about that pansy ********..well, I guess it's possible that somebody might, but it aint me.

Live axles > IFS
89-91 differentials > 88-78

But will it bolt in? Moar research is necessary BUT! It's good to see this thread make that turn cuz im all like "this thread should have good infos about differentials in it."

KNOWWHATIMSAYIN ? :cool:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had an '84 K5 with 2.73 gears and a 700R4. Gutless. A 6.2L diesel could out run it.
And still had crappy fuel mileage too probably?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
IFS? GTFO of here with that ****. Ain't nobody give a f about that pansy ********..well, I guess it's possible that somebody might, but it aint me.

Live axles > IFS
89-91 differentials > 88-78

But will it bolt in? Moar research is necessary BUT! It's good to see this thread make that turn cuz im all like "this thread should have good infos about differentials in it."

KNOWWHATIMSAYIN ? :cool:

Yes, the '89-'91 axles for sure bolt right in.

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
And still had crappy fuel mileage too probably?

Being an ‘84 with California emissions it was a pile of crap. Fuel economy was terrible. If it was desmogged it would’ve ran great.

IndianCountry

Reaction score
First Name
Kennozeedze
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yea I know, I watch all the Alaska shows too. But we don't know all the facts. This guy could live in Anchorage for all we know it 2 miles outside Homer and a car might do just fine for almost everything, except towing, camping or fishing/hunting expiditions? Or he could live in Tok, Tanana, Mcarthy, 60 miles in the bush from Fairbanks, who knows.
my profile pic is in Tanana. a 350 tbi will cold start in -40 if you dont let the injectors courtesy fire and immediately crank the engine as soon as you put in the key. the trick is the fuel needs to get put into moving air when it's that cold. my suburban is still in tanana because i drove all the way from fairbanks last year and barely made it the road was so bad. the obese city manager pat moore embezzled money for himself and his family so the road won't get plowed until february, that's when ill bring it back. maybe ill add a block heater this year lol

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
my profile pic is in Tanana. a 350 tbi will cold start in -40 if you dont let the injectors courtesy fire and immediately crank the engine as soon as you put in the key. the trick is the fuel needs to get put into moving air when it's that cold. my suburban is still in tanana because i drove all the way from fairbanks last year and barely made it the road was so bad. the obese city manager pat moore embezzled money for himself and his family so the road won't get plowed until february, that's when ill bring it back. maybe ill add a block heater this year lol
Pat Moore was on the show Yukon Men.

IndianCountry

Reaction score
First Name
Kennozeedze
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Pat Moore was on the show Yukon Men.
yeah, i know all of them. fat moore is a corrupt city official in real life. someone that fat could not make it on their own out there, that's why he embezzles money. his property has it's own lift station plumbed in at us govt expense, boat motors, skid steers, dump trucks, "officially" it's owned by the city, but no one living there benefits from all the stuff bought for pat's personal use. usually the road to tanana is open in december. i drove my truck there a few days after it was plowed in december 2019. this year i guess pat was so worthless and helpless he needed more money to survive and all the fuel money went to his house and now the road doesn't get plowed until february. it's terrible

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yeah, i know all of them. fat moore is a corrupt city official in real life. someone that fat could not make it on their own out there, that's why he embezzles money. his property has it's own lift station plumbed in at us govt expense, boat motors, skid steers, dump trucks, "officially" it's owned by the city, but no one living there benefits from all the stuff bought for pat's personal use. usually the road to tanana is open in december. i drove my truck there a few days after it was plowed in december 2019. this year i guess pat was so worthless and helpless he needed more money to survive and all the fuel money went to his house and now the road doesn't get plowed until february. it's terrible
I wondered on the show how he could be that big and survive bout there. Can't cut wood. Probably struggles to load the stove, trouble doing any physical labor. He says they raise sled dogs but I doubt he has been on a sled in years. Didn't his son get arrested and go to jail back when the show was still on air?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC