Got It Back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Welcome. Glad you got it back! Don't toss the camper/shell/topper/etc. Someone will want it, and it looks to be in good shape. I have one similar to it, and glad I have it. Comes in handy.

Clarkie

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Thanks for the welcome. The front springs are stock height. It I was to cut them (with a death wheel, to avoid heat buildup) to achieve a 2-inch drop, how many coils should I cut? Or would you recommend getting drop springs? I kinda like the height at the rear of the truck, so I just want to level it out.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Cutting coils: As you cut coils from a spring, you actually increase it's spring rate (becomes stiffer). If you choose to cut, only cut 1 to 1 and a half coils. You will need to space out the upper A arms to re-align the front end. The studs the upper A arms bolt to, may be too short to add the spacers needed for proper alignment, so they may need to be replaced with longer bolts.

Better, is new upper A arms and lowering coils. Best is new upper and lower A arms and the lowering springs. The complete system.

One disadvantage using dropped spindles, you can not install standard wide wheels.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy from Ohio! Seems like you and the truck were meant to be together. You didn't sell the GS, did you? Lol.

@Shorty81 I got a kick out of your comment, lol. "Truck height" instead of "stock height".

Clarkie

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
I think I want to level the truck by raising the rear about two inches. It has a Belltech 6800 shackle/hanger kit. I’ve been told that a two inch drop shackle won’t give me the desired lift because the hangers have been relocated. Any suggestions for how to raise the rear the desired two inches?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Has the rear axle been flipped as well? Do the rear springs have any leaves removed? I ask because it looks lower in the rear than just what a shackle and hanger kit gives. 4" I believe?

If the axle is still under the springs, you can simply add lift blocks to get the truck back up a bit in the rear. Or if leaves have been removed, you can add them back in.

Adding rear bags may be a good option too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, there's a ton of great info here:

The sticky thread at the top is chock full of info about how to lower you truck along with the pros and cons. That info is also useful to help you choose the best method to un-slam your truck. Many other threads that may help you out as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat