Traction Aid for 77 K10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Normmus

Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Truck is a 1977 K10, stock suspension, 3.08 gears, posi G80 rear, 4 speed manual transmission, NP205. 31" Duratracs. I use it about 50% city driving (I live in the city), 30% highway usually a 2 hour round trip, 20% farm type use. At the farm there's quite a bit of snow in the winter and some gently rolling laneways which don't get cleared often. Wondering if anyone has ideas to improve the traction performance at the farm in winter while still being able to do the other 80% of driving well. It's fine on the highway and city driving with the current setup but would like more traction in slow speed deep snow conditions.

I am open to ideas on lockers, lift kits, tires, etc. My first thought was to lift and put 33-35" tires on, and regear but am wondering if maybe a selectable locker or limited slips might be more practical instead. I am also wondering if I could get away with 33s on my existing gearing with the 4 speed manual transmission. Thoughts?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Truck is a 1977 K10, stock suspension, 3.08 gears, posi G80 rear, 4 speed manual transmission, NP205. 31" Duratracs. I use it about 50% city driving (I live in the city), 30% highway usually a 2 hour round trip, 20% farm type use. At the farm there's quite a bit of snow in the winter and some gently rolling laneways which don't get cleared often. Wondering if anyone has ideas to improve the traction performance at the farm in winter while still being able to do the other 80% of driving well. It's fine on the highway and city driving with the current setup but would like more traction in slow speed deep snow conditions.

I am open to ideas on lockers, lift kits, tires, etc. My first thought was to lift and put 33-35" tires on, and regear but am wondering if maybe a selectable locker or limited slips might be more practical instead. I am also wondering if I could get away with 33s on my existing gearing with the 4 speed manual transmission. Thoughts?
Dedicated snow tires. They really are a whole different level, it's not some conspiracy theory. They're unbeatable in the snow. Firestone winter forces seem to be one of the few for light truck tires, but they are very good.

I cant speak on a 4spd but 3.08's and big tires don't mix. I mobbed a 2wd Mazda pickup for awhile in winter. Snow tires and proper driving and I got pretty much everywhere I wanted, within reason of course. but traction wasn't the issue.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Dedicated snow tires. They really are a whole different level, it's not some conspiracy theory. They're unbeatable in the snow. Firestone winter forces seem to be one of the few for light truck tires, but they are very good.

I cant speak on a 4spd but 3.08's and big tires don't mix. I mobbed a 2wd Mazda pickup for awhile in winter. Snow tires and proper driving and I got pretty much everywhere I wanted, within reason of course. but traction wasn't the issue.
Youre also gonna want the narrowest tire you can safely run, big tires arent gonna be your friend in snow. Also being g80 you want to be suire you have traction so that you dont grenade it trying to rock or anything

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I vote for dedicated winter/snow tires. I bought a set of "Claws" from TreadWright tire for my 2005 Sierra 1500. I never got stuck during "mud season" or plowing the dirt driveway which is steep in parts. On the minus side they took a lot of weights to balance and are noisy on pavement.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Around here, when we need a little weight for traction, we grab an old inner tube , cut it, fill it with sand and throw it in the back. If you do get stuck, you can use the sand to help get out of your predicament??

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Wondering if anyone has ideas to improve the traction performance at the farm in winter while still being able to do the other 80% of driving well. It's fine on the highway and city driving with the current setup but would like more traction in slow speed deep snow conditions.
Tire chains. Great in mud or snow.

You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Is there snow and ice on your highways regularly?

I agree with dedicating snow tires. If not, three peak mountain snow flake rated at least.

If you never have a tire in the air, a true trac is supposed to work very well in all conditions. An actual mechanical locker will take some getting used to on snow or ice at 25mph+. If a locker engages at 35mph in the snow, it can be interesting.

Normmus

Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Is there snow and ice on your highways regularly?

I agree with dedicating snow tires. If not, three peak mountain snow flake rated at least.

If you never have a tire in the air, a true trac is supposed to work very well in all conditions. An actual mechanical locker will take some getting used to on snow or ice at 25mph+. If a locker engages at 35mph in the snow, it can be interesting.
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada so snow and ice on roads is a daily hazard for half the year.
The existing tires are three peak rated and fairly new. I am happy with the road performance.
I am a bit reluctant to add a locker for the reason you give. There seem to be selectable locker options for more $$

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
Tru trac's are nice, I have a detroit in the rear and and a tru-trac in the front, the setup works very well, but the truck will still slide around easy, 5-600 lbs in the rear directly above the rear axle help, lower air pressure, I run 28 psi in my 33x12.50 tires and my truck gets around great through the farm and on the highway

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
How old are the tires? They will lose considerable wet/cold traction at 4 to 6 years of age.

Normmus

Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How old are the tires? They will lose considerable wet/cold traction at 4 to 6 years of age.
I'll have to check the date code. Good point.

Normmus

Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Trutrac rear diff gets my vote. The one in my Tahoe works great. Dont even know it's there with normal driving
I was looking at those online but can't seem to find one for the 12 bolt rear. They do make one for the D44 front though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad