Posi Traction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
All good thoughts my friend’s, thanks.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@texasmike nice looking truck!!
I’d say it really boils down to what you want out of the truck.
If it’s miles per gallon, leave it alone. If it’s smiles per gallon then you’re on the right track.
Guessing a restored truck like that isn’t your only vehicle and likely isn’t the most fuel efficient vehicle in your driveway. If that’s the case then turn up the wick a little! Can’t take that money with you.
$1000 if going for a rebuild with lower gears and a Posi is doable if you diy and know how to set up gears. Add shop rates and you’ve likely broken out of the $1k limit a little.
And while what @rustynail is saying is correct, you’ll realize noticeable performance gains from degrading just the same as adding an equivalent amount of hp. Although your thought process is a bit better IMO as an open diff won’t handle much power off the line without doin the 1 wheel peel and the tall gears are working against you as well.
Justifying re gearing imo is sometimes tough to notice bang for the buck and it’s also less of a diy job for most compared to doing a little engine work.
Personally if the 305 is running good, leave it alone. They are obviously not powerhouse engines and imo less bang for the buck to try to get more ho out of than most engines.
The gears on the other hand, instant gratification with no tuning and farting around with…stuff. Only at the expense of some fuel mileage.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Money or mpg really isn’t an issue and I have this ‘thing’ about trying to keep everything as close to ‘original’ as possible. I did remove all of the emissions stuff since it’s no longer required in my state, but everything else is pretty much stock.
The photo in my membership description was taken in 1987 and pictures the original driver with his wife. His son bought the company truck for him to use when he came out of retirement to work at his sons construction company. I went to work for the company in ‘92 and retired 27 years later, so I have been around this truck for many years. I think I’ll keep it as is.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I went from 3.42 to 4.10 in my 89 pickup. Made a huge difference in acceleration.
It was a nbs pickup with an electronic speedo, didn't know how to change it to read properly.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Money or mpg really isn’t an issue and I have this ‘thing’ about trying to keep everything as close to ‘original’ as possible. I did remove all of the emissions stuff since it’s no longer required in my state, but everything else is pretty much stock.
The photo in my membership description was taken in 1987 and pictures the original driver with his wife. His son bought the company truck for him to use when he came out of retirement to work at his sons construction company. I went to work for the company in ‘92 and retired 27 years later, so I have been around this truck for many years. I think I’ll keep it as is.
So you’re not after a Posi and more pep in it’s step now?
I’m confused.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
More pep was never the main reason to mess with it. It does pretty well, even with the 2.73 axle. My main concern was spinning the drive tire, even on dry pavement. I have almost new, Good Year Wranglers on it so I guess it's just not enough weight on the long bed axle that's the main problem. I have to always be mindful about leaving enough stopping distance so I don't ram anyone. On two occasions, I've locked up both wheels and come close. Very embarrassing, just like squealing the tire in a store parking lot. Before I tear up a good operating original system, I think I'll just try being more mindful about the foot pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg