A Number of Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trevor8186

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 w/ th350
Good Evening,

First I would like to say that I apologize if I didn't categorize this properly, it may fit in the engine board, if so I am sorry for the hassle. I just have a few issues that I would like some feedback on. I am slowly teaching myself here, and I absolutely don't know everything.

ALSO, I probably should've searched the forum better before this, so if you absolutely know any of the following issues have been discussed, please either link me the discussion, or just tell me there is a post about it and i'll go look. I know the more seasoned members of the forums can get irritated with new threads for already discussed topics...

The first issue I am dealing with is a rattle coming from the flywheel, I assume that it is loose bolts, but it doesn't appear that the flywheel is off balance. This issue started after I replaced the vacuum advance, which is either a coincidence, or due to the change in vacuum the engine is running rough and causing a vibration in that general area... I feel as though I have the truck running fairly well, so I don't see that being an issue, but again I could be incorrect.

Next, I notice I am getting far too much fuel, though I have dialed the carb down. Let's say I go to give it hell and put my foot to the floor, it sounds like it is bogging down and could potentially die if I held the pedal long enough. I really feel as though it is running too rich, but then again my kickdown cable is slightly out of adjustment... And hell, maybe the cheap harbor freight timing light I bought isn't accurate and I am not actually around 8 degrees. I also did a lot of searching, and I have heard anything from 8-12 degrees of timing, I just don't know exactly where I want to be. I hope I am correct, being that my buddy wasn't holding the plastic piece which goes over the plug wire, and it sat on the headers and melted one side of it shut... It's still on my freaking plug wire right now, lol.... Great way to waste 30 bucks

For now this is all I have, it's as descriptive as I could possibly be. I do have a trans fluid leak, and I know it's coming right out of the trans where one of the lines goes. I'm assuming it wasn't threaded in properly or something, as it was tight when i checked it. Gonna get under the truck and thread it out to see what exactly is going on though.

Additional Info:

Holley 600cfm carb Part # 0-80457S
Weiand Warrior Intake
"Mild Cam"--As told by previous owner, unsure.
Only running headers through pipes just passed the cab, the mufflers fell off on me...
Newer Torque Converter
35x12.50 15's

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Are you sure the harmonic balancer has not slipped? I've had that issue myself. And are you sure the flywheel or do you mean flexplate if auto trans, is cracked?

Are your secondary butterflies opening on the carb? Next thing I'm considering on a Holley is a blown power valve.

Trevor8186

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 w/ th350
Are you sure the harmonic balancer has not slipped? I've had that issue myself. And are you sure the flywheel or do you mean flexplate if auto trans, is cracked?

Are your secondary butterflies opening on the carb? Next thing I'm considering on a Holley is a blown power valve.

I'm going to check all of this out today, I did lay under the truck last night looking directly at the flex plate for like 30 minutes, at different angles just to see if there was something that I was missing and I see no loose bolts or cracks... I might be missing something though.

And you could be right, it could be that inertia ring that's giving me all this trouble... I sure hope not lol. But that would explain why randomly she'll run really nice and then go back to being a pain.

I'll check on the butterflies as well, if they're not, isn't the adjustment on the bottom of the carb? So I will have to lift the carb off the intake?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I just had my flex plate replaced and it was actually cracked around the converter bolt locations.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm going to check all of this out today, I did lay under the truck last night looking directly at the flex plate for like 30 minutes, at different angles just to see if there was something that I was missing and I see no loose bolts or cracks... I might be missing something though.

And you could be right, it could be that inertia ring that's giving me all this trouble... I sure hope not lol. But that would explain why randomly she'll run really nice and then go back to being a pain.

I'll check on the butterflies as well, if they're not, isn't the adjustment on the bottom of the carb? So I will have to lift the carb off the intake?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

If you have a vacuum secondary Holley, I'd first be checking to see that the vac diaphram that opens the butterflies is actually opening the butterflies FIRST. Then go to adjustment from there and IIRC, it can be done with the carb on the intake. Normally they don't get out of adjustment though. It's usually either the diaphram has gotten a hole in it, or the little O ring where the diaphram housing bolts to the carb housing has been eaten or sucked away and you have a vac leak instead of the secondaries opening. If that's all good, then move onto the power valve. All it takes is for 1 good backfire and it will blow the powervalve out. One reason I didn't care for Holley but always carried a spare power valve when racing and could put it on just before a race and be ready to rock.

Trevor8186

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 w/ th350
Well, unfortunately the Holley appears to look fine. Which of course is good, but it doesn't give me what I am looking for. . . I am still trying to figure out what is causing the noise in the Torque Converter area. I did find out that this is a TC out of a 1973 Grand Prix. The previous owner says he doesn't know the stall for sure, but 3200 comes to mind.

I wish he would've kept some sort of paper work... This is really frustrating lol. I'm going to attempt to take a video of the flex plate and hopefully the exhaust won't take over the sound I am trying to show you. As well as for how the pickup is running currently. It appears to be running well but when driving not so much.

OHHHH, and I allowed my buddy to help me with some stuff on the truck yesterday, he is a little behind me as far as automotive knowledge.. and well, I hooked up the timing light, and I was having him hold the light and tell me whether I need to advance or retard my timing, he did well there... But, I have a cheap harbor freight timing light, so the connector on the #1 plug got melted together on one side because he didn't hold it off the header for me lol. So, the whole timing gun wiring is wrapped around my brake fluid reservoir lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well, unfortunately the Holley appears to look fine. Which of course is good, but it doesn't give me what I am looking for. . . I am still trying to figure out what is causing the noise in the Torque Converter area. I did find out that this is a TC out of a 1973 Grand Prix. The previous owner says he doesn't know the stall for sure, but 3200 comes to mind.

I wish he would've kept some sort of paper work... This is really frustrating lol. I'm going to attempt to take a video of the flex plate and hopefully the exhaust won't take over the sound I am trying to show you. As well as for how the pickup is running currently. It appears to be running well but when driving not so much.

OHHHH, and I allowed my buddy to help me with some stuff on the truck yesterday, he is a little behind me as far as automotive knowledge.. and well, I hooked up the timing light, and I was having him hold the light and tell me whether I need to advance or retard my timing, he did well there... But, I have a cheap harbor freight timing light, so the connector on the #1 plug got melted together on one side because he didn't hold it off the header for me lol. So, the whole timing gun wiring is wrapped around my brake fluid reservoir lol.

If that's a stock motor, the stall can't be 3200. The truck would hardly move if it needed 3200 rpm. I mean it'll go but.... and talk about the transmission overheating. Probably a stock 1400-1600 stall. Even an OEMish high stall is only 1800 or so.

Trevor8186

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 w/ th350
Well, it hardly moves from a stop unless i put it in first gear lol. and the trans is getting hotter than it should be. I dont know man this is killing me lol. I got the trans hooked up, found out why i have been hearing a rattle.... the previous owner seriously only put two bolts in the trans, and they weren't even tight.... what in the actual ****... I just messed around a little more with the carb and distributor, will see where i get as far as how it's running. I believe ya when you say it can't be 3200 stall, i just need to figure out what's dragging me down.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Starting to sound to me like you might have a bad transmission. So it won't take off unless you put it in manual 1st gear? So from D is just doesn't want to go? You might be taking off in 2nd gear when in D. 1st gear in D is different than manual 1st gear. This is who guys will diagnose trans problems. I'm talking from a tree limb here, but IIRC, manual first uses Low/Reverse Clutch pack and forward clutch to make 1st. 1st while in D uses direct and intermediate clutch packs. Hell, I'd have to look at flow charts to know for certain. This is a Th350 trans?

Trevor8186

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 w/ th350
Yes sir. It is a th350, I'm really bad at explaining things when I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm really sorry lol.

When leaving from a stop in Drive it will move, but when I drop it manually into low 1, it'll move easier. At least from what I can tell. I thought I may have fixed the problem yesterday, but now the truck won't even shift out of first, so I really screwed up my kickdown cable. Installing it properly was enough of a pain for me, and I didn't quite have it right so i adjusted it again and now it won't shift lol. Also hearing a weird sound from the distributor now. I can't seem to figure anything out without messing up somewhere else lol.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Trevor8186

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 w/ th350
Sorry for the slow response, didn't see you got back to me!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes sir. It is a th350, I'm really bad at explaining things when I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm really sorry lol.

When leaving from a stop in Drive it will move, but when I drop it manually into low 1, it'll move easier. At least from what I can tell. I thought I may have fixed the problem yesterday, but now the truck won't even shift out of first, so I really screwed up my kickdown cable. Installing it properly was enough of a pain for me, and I didn't quite have it right so i adjusted it again and now it won't shift lol. Also hearing a weird sound from the distributor now. I can't seem to figure anything out without messing up somewhere else lol.

If it won't shift after a detent cable adjustment, you've got it to tight and applying to much throttle pressure. Back it off some, as in, let it have some slack. It actually shouldn't start pulling until about 1/3 throttle, 1/4 throttle if you like the shift points dragged out a bit and a firmer shift.

Trevor8186

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 w/ th350
If it won't shift after a detent cable adjustment, you've got it to tight and applying to much throttle pressure. Back it off some, as in, let it have some slack. It actually shouldn't start pulling until about 1/3 throttle, 1/4 throttle if you like the shift points dragged out a bit and a firmer shift.

I'm going to take a video of the kickdown up on the carb. I'll admit it is slightly rigged, which may be why it is having this issue. My make shift fix was working though, until i tightened the transmission to the block.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm going to take a video of the kickdown up on the carb. I'll admit it is slightly rigged, which may be why it is having this issue. My make shift fix was working though, until i tightened the transmission to the block.

The other possibility is while you were down there working on it, you moved the vac modulator line and knocked it off either at the modulator end or the intake end. Make sure the vac modulator line is connected at all ends.

Trevor8186

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 w/ th350
The other possibility is while you were down there working on it, you moved the vac modulator line and knocked it off either at the modulator end or the intake end. Make sure the vac modulator line is connected at all ends.

That's true!!!! I'll check that out! I hope that's it, lol. I miss driving it. About to go get the '86 and leave the camaro for my dad lmfao. I need my squarebody.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBSS GUY