A Number of Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I thought 1 and 3rd were on the same clutches and 2nd and rev. on the others, not a transmission guy here either so I am probably wrong on that.

Fix one thing at a time or you could be chasing your tail forever. I had a th350 the ran with the vm disconnected and the detent cable missing. It drove fine other than it wouldnt up shift on its own and wouldnt down shift when you got on it.

If the PO only put 2 bolts in the transmission I would start by rechecking every bolt touched in an engine and transmission swap you never know what they might have left loose.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I thought 1 and 3rd were on the same clutches and 2nd and rev. on the others, not a transmission guy here either so I am probably wrong on that.

Fix one thing at a time or you could be chasing your tail forever. I had a th350 the ran with the vm disconnected and the detent cable missing. It drove fine other than it wouldnt up shift on its own and wouldnt down shift when you got on it.

If the PO only put 2 bolts in the transmission I would start by rechecking every bolt touched in an engine and transmission swap you never know what they might have left loose.

Eash trans if different on which clutch packs are doing what, and then you have different bands holding drums, sprags or 1 way clutches holding or not holding and if you can remember all models in every gear then you're a genious so I don't even try to. And, as said, there are different ways to obtain a gear. Example, 1st in D has different things applied and not applied than Manually putting it in 1st gear, as well as 2nd in D and manual 2nd.

Here's an example, so my current Th400 that my son and I built, IN D, trans works just fine. Reverse barely engages and will slip bad if I give it gas, so I just don't use reverse. Thinking we must have fuct up a Low/Reverse seal I put it in Manual 1st. I have first gear firm and solid so I know it's not that now. BUT, just the other day for ***** and giggles, I put it in 1st and got on it hard. When I let up, I thought WTF, no engine braking. Put it in D and then it was like I pulled a parachute lever and I had engine braking when off the throttle. So yeah, Reverse slips, D works just fine, Manual 1st has no engine braking when you left off of the gas. My trans guru buddy is sure it's a check ball we forgot to put in the valve body when we built the transmission, and it's the check ball in the bathtub. And that's likely so, cuz I think I told my son to leave that one out, confusing the 700r4, with a shift kit, you DO NOT use the bathtub checkball. This is why I say, different models do different **** and I got stung for it. Now I have to drop the pan and valve body and it's a real bitch keeping all the checkballs in place when the trans is in the truck and you're working overhead. Think I'm going to say fugg it and put a 700r4 behind the 454. I've been wanting to anyway just to say I did.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, on a Th350 vm not connected it won't upshift until governor override which is way way late and if you have a shift kit, governor override probably won't even happen so it won't shift at all, a Th400 will just late. Also, even with the vm connected and having upshift, without the detent cable connected and adjusted, it will just shift way early is all, and no kickdown at WOT. You can run a Th350 like that, but you do that to a 700r4, you'll fry the trans in about about 100-300 miles depending on how rough you're with it. On a 700r4, the TV (Throttle Valve) cable also regulates fluid pressure by how hard you're getting on the throttle. If you're heavy on the throttle and the trans don't know it, then it doesn't increase throttle pressure so the clutches slip, overheat and good night transmission.

Trevor8186

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 w/ th350
Hey guys! Just got back from the hospital. I am now a dad! My son, Andrew Steven Karr was born on April 15th at 4:18A.M.

I'm going to go through all of what I've missed the past few days! The good news is on the 14th I found a Holley guy and he told me it was the power valve like you said it was days ago, HotRod. It checks out. I drove a large distance to go pick up a 350 block and could only hit about 60mph, which instantly gave me what I needed to know. If i could find a Holley power valve block plug I'd just install that... but I guess for now ill just get a new power valve and tune the carb down some more, then get smaller jets because I have too much carb for my motor.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey guys! Just got back from the hospital. I am now a dad! My son, Andrew Steven Karr was born on April 15th at 4:18A.M.

Congratulations :cheers:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Congrats..:cheers:

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
congrats on the new addition. Now with a little one you will be wondering what you did with your life before he was born... At least that is what I ask myself since my son and I still wonder that 6yrs later.

Trevor8186

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 w/ th350
Thanks everyone! And you're so right. Even though I didn't sleep but an hour last night, I wouldn't trade this for anything

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I'm going to go through all of what I've missed the past few days! The good news is on the 14th I found a Holley guy and he told me it was the power valve like you said it was days ago, HotRod. It checks out. I drove a large distance to go pick up a 350 block and could only hit about 60mph, which instantly gave me what I needed to know. If i could find a Holley power valve block plug I'd just install that... but I guess for now ill just get a new power valve and tune the carb down some more, then get smaller jets because I have too much carb for my motor.

hahaha, His nickname can be 1040!!! I used to call my kids, 1040 and 1040A. My tax deductions. :happy175:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hey! I just got back from the hospital too. I gave birth to a 20 gram prostate gland. Unfortunately, the little guy had cancer and had to be thrown away.

Trevor8186

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 w/ th350
Y'all crack me up, haha

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
Hey! I just got back from the hospital too. I gave birth to a 20 gram prostate gland. Unfortunately, the little guy had cancer and had to be thrown away.

Congrats on the baby and sorry to hear that chengny, I hope you're doing well!
Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90_burb