A/C System Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
I prefer to pressurize with freon and some dye, but I can see where that would upset some folks.

Did you match up your accumulator o-rings with the originals or use the ones that came with the new one? Many times, a new accumulator will come with seals that are too thin.

Actually, you hit that on the head. I too, had thought that the seals that came with the accumulator were thin, but installed them anyway. I replaced them with the ones that came with the o-ring set I bought the other day.

Thus far, she's still holding vacuum. Gonna keep the pump on her while I grab some grub, then I'll pop some cold juice and oil in her!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What really amazes me is that GM accumulators (the aftermarket replacements) STILL are being packaged with seals that are the incorrect size. This has been going on for 20+ years. Most all GM applications use the fatter seals on the accumulator.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
And just so others will see in the future what stop-leak will do to an orifice tube:
You must be registered for see images attach

And yes, that was 100% due to stop-leak. There's a whole long story associated with that and I'm not proud of it, lol. But a new orifice tube has been installed and the AC works as good as it can, considering the circumstances.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Stop leak of any kind is a waste of money in my opinion. Kinda like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.

Just fix the problem, something that will supposedly stop a leak will most likely cause other headaches

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
And just so others will see in the future what stop-leak will do to an orifice tube:
You must be registered for see images attach

And yes, that was 100% due to stop-leak. There's a whole long story associated with that and I'm not proud of it, lol. But a new orifice tube has been installed and the AC works as good as it can, considering the circumstances.
Man, that's brutal!

As an update, I left her on vacuum last night. She was still maintaining vacuum. Gonna hit her up with some freon here in a bit. I'll let y'all know how it goes!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Stop leak of any kind is a waste of money in my opinion. Kinda like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.

Just fix the problem, something that will supposedly stop a leak will most likely cause other headaches

Well in the case of an internal leak where the high side transitions into the low side, it'll stop that one up real good! Lol.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Quick update for you folks....

Ran her on vacuum for what seemed like forever. Dumped in 4 cans (48 oz) of 134A, and she's been blowing cold!

That being said, I remember now why I didn't run the A/C on my old trucks all that much back in the day. You can really feel it when the compressor kicks in! LOL

What's that cost, 20-30 HP? Might have to put on some pinstripes on the 'ol girl just to bring my HPs back up! And jack the back up a bit. That's worth at least 8 HP, right? LOL

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I know this is an old thread but I’d like to add my $.02

To help located leaks, on a flat system that you will be pulling a vacuum on later anyway, I’ll hook up my air compressor to it and “charge” the system with 60-90 psi of air. Then go around with snoop or soapy water.

Also, service ports, even new tend to leak. I like to install them vertically when possible so I can fill them up with soapy water and look for bubbles.

I often find simply pressing them a few times to “burp” will help them seat and seal up. When you’ve pulled a vacuum, it held fine for however long (I like over night if possible) but you still lose a charge, the only logical place left to leak is the service ports.

I’m am NOT an AC tech but I play one on TV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1