96 Suburban Gear Indicator Light Problem 4L60E(P, 1, 2 work none of rest)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jefferino

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K1500
Engine Size
V8
So I know you guys are focused on the older ones but I saw some threads in here about the 4L60E. Here is my issue. I have been chasing down all the demons on my burb and when I went to get my state inspection today they failed me because of this. The indicator lights up in Park, 1 and 2. However R, N, D and 3 do not light up. I just had the transmission re-built and the electronics on it replaced and its still doing this. I have driven it 120miles and it runs/drives great. Any thoughts? I just need this fixed asap so I can get this car legally on the road for my family.

Thank you!

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Could be a few different things.
First question is was it working PRIOR to having transmission rebuilt?

USUALLY when a builder builds a 60E the electronics are replaced. HOWEVER The range selector switch (neutral safety switch) is often overlooked. The reason it is overlooked is because there are 2 connectors that plug into the switch which are glued in. A heat gun is required to unplug them with out damaging the switch or connectors. Most builders remove the switch from the Transmission while still in the vehichle and connected to the harness to avoid damage.

A scan tool that reads data would be the best way to diagnose your problem. But a simple method to determine if the switch itself is bad would be to turn the key on, move the gear selector 2 clicks down to the neutral position and try to start the vehichle. If it start you know the neutral safety switch is working. Which would point more towards the indicator lights in the gauge cluster. Let me know if you need a wiring diagram of the dash.

jefferino

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K1500
Engine Size
V8
Honestly I don't know...I got the truck with problems and never noticed.

The builder did say he tried to fix it and the selector switch was replaced and is brand new. He said they had to break the connectors out. I looked and the top one was pretty messed up even in the new switch. (the top one) I pulled both out and put back in and no luck.

It starts and I drove it without problem 100 miles from the builders and it drove and shifted great. It seems like the only problem is the lights...

The builder also said that when he drove it for a test drive the light turned on on D but then turned off.

Please help...this is driving me completely nuts!!!!!!!!!!

I am about to try to get to the junkyard and find another cluster and try it or something.

Could be a few different things.
First question is was it working PRIOR to having transmission rebuilt?

USUALLY when a builder builds a 60E the electronics are replaced. HOWEVER The range selector switch (neutral safety switch) is often overlooked. The reason it is overlooked is because there are 2 connectors that plug into the switch which are glued in. A heat gun is required to unplug them with out damaging the switch or connectors. Most builders remove the switch from the Transmission while still in the vehichle and connected to the harness to avoid damage.

A scan tool that reads data would be the best way to diagnose your problem. But a simple method to determine if the switch itself is bad would be to turn the key on, move the gear selector 2 clicks down to the neutral position and try to start the vehichle. If it start you know the neutral safety switch is working. Which would point more towards the indicator lights in the gauge cluster. Let me know if you need a wiring diagram of the dash.

jefferino

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K1500
Engine Size
V8
Forgot to mention that I pulled out the cluster, opened it up and found that the bulbs for the indicators are LEDs on the circuit board and I have NO idea how to check if they are working or not :(

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I am sure it does start and run, simply because you said the Park light works, but If the neutral light is NOT working then if its the switch or the connectors it will NOT start with the selector placed in neutral. If the connectors are "broken" Ide say you found your problem and dont realize it. The otherthing is the switch is adjustable BUT i do NOT think it is an adjustment problem.

scottyd2506

Reaction score
First Name
scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I am having similar problems, just had 4l60E tranny rebuilt. I had them remove and install it instead of me doing that part also.
it is a 1500 5.3 2002 Silverado. The trans shifts fine, but the indicator is not working properly.

it goes into P R N D 3 2 1 ok but does not show when in Neutral. it starts in park, but not in Neutral, it starts in Drive instead of N.. Reverse lights do not work in R, but work in N.

thanks

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I am having similar problems, just had 4l60E tranny rebuilt. I had them remove and install it instead of me doing that part also.
it is a 1500 5.3 2002 Silverado. The trans shifts fine, but the indicator is not working properly.

it goes into P R N D 3 2 1 ok but does not show when in Neutral. it starts in park, but not in Neutral, it starts in Drive instead of N.. Reverse lights do not work in R, but work in N.

thanks

sounds like your switch is not adjusted properly. There are 2 bolts that hold the switch on, loosen them and have a friend help watch the indicator lights while you rotate the switch. If you put the Transmission in Neutral then adjust the switch untill the neutral light comes on you will be close enough to lock it down and try it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1