alternate High beam indicator light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

70SBUDGET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RYAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 CUSTOM
Engine Size
Good morning. I have to have a vehicle inspection to get my "non-operational" salvaged vehicle back on the road. One of the requirements is an active High beam indicator light. Mine is currently not working. My budget is extremely tight and i would like to wire in an indicator light into the circut. With it simply turning on, as the dash light indicator would normally function. Im thinking the easiest think would be to piggy back off of the OEM floor switch wiring as opposed to trying to get in under the dash. I am having a hard time locating the switch on the diagram though. Any tips or advice on this? Electrical is not my strong suit. thx

the switch works fine and turns on the highs and turns the highs off.

76 camper custom k20

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
fix the floor high beam switch
I believe it sends the indicator signal through the connector for hte cluster, if your high beams dont work then you should just replace the switch or at least test it

also, if you have resources, it should be called headlight dimmer switch. nto to be confused with the headlight switch dimmer (These may be how its called, but they may be the same. basically the headlight dimmer you want is going ot be wired to the cluster while the other one is too, but its going to have more complex parts to it on a diagram.)

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Year and model?

70SBUDGET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RYAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 CUSTOM
Engine Size
fix the floor high beam switch
I believe it sends the indicator signal through the connector for hte cluster, if your high beams dont work then you should just replace the switch or at least test it

also, if you have resources, it should be called headlight dimmer switch. nto to be confused with the headlight switch dimmer (These may be how its called, but they may be the same. basically the headlight dimmer you want is going ot be wired to the cluster while the other one is too, but its going to have more complex parts to it on a diagram.)
the floor switch functions properly. so thus, the problem is most likely the circet board as the lights have recently been replaced.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
the floor switch functions properly. so thus, the problem is most likely the circet board as the lights have recently been replaced.
I Dont agree, since the cluster takes the light signal from the switch, confirm that the switch is able to send voltage(or ground?) from the dimmer

And then also, did you use LED or did you use incandesccent? Terminals may be corroded

but if you wanted to, a blue LED from auto store probably can be bought and wired easily to that signal, and its just a matter of that being its function and possibly blue(?)

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
This could be pretty simple. I'm not sure if your looking to get the factory light working or not. If you just need a light you could wire this.

You must be registered for see images

All you'd need is to hook one wire to the same wire on the floor switch that is hot when the high beams are on and wire the other terminal to ground. If you get creative it could even look good.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If you study the wiring diagram, you will see that the light green wire FROM the dimmer switch, and the green wire for the high beam indicator is spliced at the firewall electrical bulkhead connector (circuit 11). That means if the high beams work, the problem is NOT the dimmer switch. Most likely it’s the circuit board or the socket for the bulb.

Remove the dash. Find the light green wire on at the dash connector. Turn on the headlights, use a test light to check for power with the high beams on. If there is power on the light green wire, the problem is in the dash cluster. Make absolutely sure the bulb is good, the contacts are clean, and the socket is making a solid connection on the circuit board.

Attachments

• 33734499-2935-4E60-B7C9-4C6FA812BDFC.png
    33734499-2935-4E60-B7C9-4C6FA812BDFC.png
    614.8 KB · Views: 59

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I run into weak contacts with 194 bulb sockets nearly every time.
Between poor contact between the bulb and socket or poor contact between the socket and the printed circuit usually the problem can be found in these two spots. Seems like I ended up hot glueing a few of the bulb sockets onto my printed circuit to get them operating again.

70SBUDGET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RYAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 CUSTOM
Engine Size
If you study the wiring diagram, you will see that the light green wire FROM the dimmer switch, and the green wire for the high beam indicator is spliced at the firewall electrical bulkhead connector (circuit 11). That means if the high beams work, the problem is NOT the dimmer switch. Most likely it’s the circuit board or the socket for the bulb.

Remove the dash. Find the light green wire on at the dash connector. Turn on the headlights, use a test light to check for power with the high beams on. If there is power on the light green wire, the problem is in the dash cluster. Make absolutely sure the bulb is good, the contacts are clean, and the socket is making a solid connection on the circuit board.
strong work sir. Thank you for the picture. any chance you can load up the full image?
Yes, the high beams work properly when switched on. the headlights work properly when switched on, new light so that narrows it down two the board in my opinion. I already have the extra light, just didn't know the wirring and was unable to find it. Thx bud

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I found that picture at the top of electrical page. I have seen where you can buy laminate complete wiring diagrams, but unless they are better quality than the crap in the factory shop manual it’s probably not worth the money.

Hope that helps!!

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
@Matt69olds , ok most of the big stuff is done and following this thread we have the same issue. Lights work great both high and low beams. Indicator in dash inop but I am not taking this cluster out again!
So we want to just put a blue LED light on lower dash to confirm high beams on (not required for inspection in TX) is there an easy way on cab side of firewall, say floor dimmer switch (exposed wires) to tap into high beam wire (green) and run the indicator or is there something we are not looking at?

Randy and E

Attachments

• IMG_1344.jpeg
    IMG_1344.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1303.jpeg
    IMG_1303.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members