Gear Indicator - Lit??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I installed a set of Dakota Digital gauges and they retain the factory gear indicator but now there is not a light on it. I don't mind but my daughter would really like one there.

Anybody run into this and have an easy fix?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I installed a set of Dakota Digital gauges and they retain the factory gear indicator but now there is not a light on it. I don't mind but my daughter would really like one there.

Anybody run into this and have an easy fix?

Mine isn't up & running yet to give it an honest review but I went with a Dakota digital gear position sender which will allow the gauges to display the gear in the screen.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index...id=1222/category_id=401/mode=prod/prd1222.htm

ETA: Another reason I went this way was to avoid the damn gear indicators, seems like before I retired the truck in 2008 I had replaced that little sucker 5 times. Broken strings (cables?), broken return springs Etc.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
@Scott91370 which Dakota set you go with? Where did you buy it and what would you say on scale of 1-10 degree of difficulty for a couple of shade tree DIY guys in North Richland Hills?

If my instrument cluster does not go in like I want I think I’m going Dakota….saw them at Southwest Customs in Arlington Monday.

Attachments

• D975FB8C-51E6-4AD9-8BC9-7986EFBAD17A.jpeg
    D975FB8C-51E6-4AD9-8BC9-7986EFBAD17A.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 47
  • CD337335-6AD3-4D31-A422-42E13AD362AC.jpeg
    CD337335-6AD3-4D31-A422-42E13AD362AC.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 46

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
The only thing I can think of is coming up with a mount for a peanut bulb and wire it into switched power at the fuse block. I didn't even put the indicator back on mine when I put my Dakotas in, I've just got nothing there lol

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
@Scott91370 which Dakota set you go with? Where did you buy it and what would you say on scale of 1-10 degree of difficulty for a couple of shade tree DIY guys in North Richland Hills?

If my instrument cluster does not go in like I want I think I’m going Dakota….saw them at Southwest Customs in Arlington Monday.

I went with the VHX-73C-PU Black Alloy Background - Click Here To See

I bought mine used from a guy - that won't help you.

Difficulty - 3 or 4 tops! Maybe a 2-3 if you weren't in NRH- ;) Making sure you connect to the right wires is probably the hardest part of the install.
I left the plug on mine and used the blue vampire taps to connect the wiring.

There are some videos here: https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=808/mode=cat/cat808.htm
And install instructions here: https://www.dakotadigital.com/index...t_id=393/category_id=255/mode=prod/prd393.htm

Right now I have one issue with mine but I think it is a grounding issue - the fuel sender is either Full or Empty. Nothing in the middle and it changes randomly.
And I haven't set the speedo up yet. But this should be easy, just have to find a place with low traffic flow becaise I hate doing stuff like this around other people.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Great info ! Thanks. If I get defeated on the original cluster I will probably go that route and Easton will be thrilled cuz dads buying it to make HIS life easier…
We are extremely challenged here in NRH for sure…

I was looking at installation instructions and the oil sending unit, so I have to get this in at the block or can it be in line somewhere? So little room behind the HEI to get to the block.

Randy and E

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Great info ! Thanks. If I get defeated on the original cluster I will probably go that route and Easton will be thrilled cuz dads buying it to make HIS life easier…
We are extremely challenged here in NRH for sure…

I was looking at installation instructions and the oil sending unit, so I have to get this in at the block or can it be in line somewhere? So little room behind the HEI to get to the block.

Randy and E
I put mine in the block where they say to but I had a few parts out so I was able to get to it much easier. If you're brave you could pull the HEI, do the sender install and retime it. Or the throttle/trans bracket could come off.

Jeff Lewis

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Does not have its own bulb. Receives radiant light from bulb above it. If you have old bulbs they may not be bright enough to light it. I replaced all my cluster bulbs with led. Made all the difference in the world. Several people sell them, I think I got mine from ebay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tporter79