'79 Camaro Restomod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I really need your level of motivation on my stuff @bucket
:roflbow: his stuff has been sitting for a while. It took a quarantine to make him sit long enough to get motivated to work on this projects LOL Not that I have any room to talk. My projects go at a snails pace, too. Seems like the common equation is having a job and a boat load of kids equals no time unless we're forced into having some free time LOL

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
:roflbow: his stuff has been sitting for a while. It took a quarantine to make him sit long enough to get motivated to work on this projects LOL Not that I have any room to talk. My projects go at a snails pace, too. Seems like the common equation is having a job and a boat load of kids equals no time unless we're forced into having some free time LOL

I can get a lot of stuff done in a short span of time, and get out there everyday, but his attention to detail, and doing one thing at a time isn't something I can do.
I could never be a body man.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you know you can unbolt the fitting from the back of any power steering pump and put that flkared fitting into it then use stock flare fitting lines. I did that on the s10. I should actually have that stock flared fitting here.

I would think a man could go to rockauto and get stock 79 and older power steering hoses?

However if you want a "better" steering box then no real need just swap it all as you said.

Now you see why my junk takes forever, cleaning and painting everything to like new LOL.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I really need your level of motivation on my stuff @bucket

This coming from the guy that has been kicking ass and taking names on his S10 project, lol.

You hit the nail on the head! I'm back working now, but all that time forced to be home flipped some switch and it hasn't turned off yet. But it also helps I've been home a bunch more in general lately, I've got a pretty good stockpile of parts and I've also had a little bit of a budget to work with for once. A perfect storm I guess you could call it.

you know you can unbolt the fitting from the back of any power steering pump and put that flkared fitting into it then use stock flare fitting lines. I did that on the s10. I should actually have that stock flared fitting here.

I would think a man could go to rockauto and get stock 79 and older power steering hoses?

However if you want a "better" steering box then no real need just swap it all as you said.

Now you see why my junk takes forever, cleaning and painting everything to like new LOL.

Honestly I forgot you could just switch out the fitting. But my biggest goal is more road feel with the 3rd gen box.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
This coming from the guy that has been kicking ass and taking names on his S10 project, lol.

Well......

I have gotten alot of stuff done in a short period of time..... But thats an old 94 s10 blazer....

No need to put extra detail into it where it doesn't matter, just the fine little things like steering and lockers and stuff...

As I said, I don't have your kind of motivation to clean up everything real nice and detail it out.

I'm the kinda guy that might spend 20k on a blown big block and 400 that kicks like a horse, but the rest of the truck is a rust bucket and on the verge of falling apart

A close friend said
"Vince, you don't mind driving in some real beat up ****, but you always make sure it's running like a champ"

You sir, @bucket are the all around guy... You'll have yourself a sweet camaro and a nice running motor.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Decided to tackle assembling the subframe today since the new upper arms were delivered. I was having trouble getting the springs popped into place with no weight on them. I also needed to get measurements for the trans crossmember placement.

You must be registered for see images attach

Seemed like test fitting the engine and trans was going to be the best way to accomplish those tasks.

The springs popped right into place then and it looked like the crossmember was going to fit well in it's new home with a few minor modifications.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I drilled new mounting holes and lightly trimmed the ends of the crossmember and beveled them so it would fit down nicely in the contours of the subframe.

I'll probably leave the engine as final installed, just pull the trans to install the new clutch and flywheel.

It's starting to look like the beginnings of a car again.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Vince, you don't mind driving in some real beat up ****, but you always make sure it's running like a champ"

Haha, that's the exactly how I look at my truck. I'd rather have a great running truck that looks ok. Than the other way round.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
@bucket great job man! Looking good!

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
Going to have to cut a new hole in the floor?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Going to have to cut a new hole in the floor?

Yes. It's an automatic car. It's still to be determined where and how big of a hole needs cut. Hooker sells a T56 shifter hump to attach to the tunnel, but I think it's designed more for the LS swap crowd. My LT1 style T56 has a pull-type clutch and a shorter overall length because of it. It should fit in the tunnel, but I don't know how much room the shift mount box is going to need.

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
So you should be driving it early June?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So you should be driving it early June?

Eh, it has the potential to be moving under it's own power at that point. But there's far too much to do before it can be driven.

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How durable is the graphite coating? Would it be good for the frame or underside of our trucks? I'm wondering how long it would last on gravel roads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL