700r4 transgo shift kit tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I had my 700r4 rebuilt a year ago and it has held well, but I wanted a little more and installed a corvette servo as well. Well now I’ve got the itch again and have purchased a transgo 700-2-3 shift kit from summit. It seems a little involved but I found a video from the 90s produced by transgo that should help. I’m just wondering if there’s been another video or good guide made more recently, or if anyone has any good tips. I’ll be leaving the trans in my truck to do this so I’ll only be touching the valve body. Thanks!

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Work slowly, have plenty of time and space to lay out the parts. Get some petroleum jelly, put it in the freezer for a few hours before you start putting things back together. You will be fighting gravity installing the pressure regulator parts, if you pack the valve bore full of vasoline it will hold things in place.

You may want to order a replacement spacer plate, and aluminum accumulator pistons. The checkballs cycling against the plate tend to wear the holes oversized, and if the accumulator pistons are plastic you will definitely want to replace them. Make sure the accumulator holes for the alignment pin aren’t wore oversized or egg-shaped, if so, replace them.

Good luck!

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Work slowly, have plenty of time and space to lay out the parts. Get some petroleum jelly, put it in the freezer for a few hours before you start putting things back together. You will be fighting gravity installing the pressure regulator parts, if you pack the valve bore full of vasoline it will hold things in place.

You may want to order a replacement spacer plate, and aluminum accumulator pistons. The checkballs cycling against the plate tend to wear the holes oversized, and if the accumulator pistons are plastic you will definitely want to replace them. Make sure the accumulator holes for the alignment pin aren’t wore oversized or egg-shaped, if so, replace them.

Good luck!
I’ll keep an eye out for any wear in the moving parts, and good tip about petroleum in the freezer! Do I need to flush the fluid to get it out? Or is it okay to have some diluted in the trans

71RAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kirk
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I've used TransGo products for years, hundreds maybe thousands. First thing that comes to mind is, they make quite a few changes to the input housing internals. Not sure if you will have any adverse effects, only doing the VB and pressure regulator modifications. Good luck with it!

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I’ll keep an eye out for any wear in the moving parts, and good tip about petroleum in the freezer! Do I need to flush the fluid to get it out? Or is it okay to have some diluted in the trans

You can leave it in there, it'll disperse itself.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Just make sure it’s petroleum jelly!! Bearing grease won’t dissolve, next time you have the pan off it will still be there in a big blob.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Just make sure it’s petroleum jelly!! Bearing grease won’t dissolve, next time you have the pan off it will still be there in a big blob.
Good to know

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
I usually use one of the auto trans assembly lubes. They are inexpensive and dissolve well. They also hold everything in place very well.

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
I usually use one of the auto trans assembly lubes. They are inexpensive and dissolve well. They also hold everything in place very well.

I'm also a fan of Transgel. It's cheap enough.

Joe

Tombo

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 Vortec
When I rebuilt my 700r4 I used the Transgo sk700 noyoyo kit, Corvette servo and replaced the accumulator pistons with aluminum. Also had a boost valve upgrade. I got nice firm shifts all the way to 4th. I love it so far

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20