4x4 doesnt work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
1982 k20 6 2 diesel suburban.

Got hammered by snow today, and yesterday
Fell into a ditch, went 4 hi and rocked it out.
The 4wd light on the dash doesn't come on. But geez it must've been in 4x4 no way I would've gotten out of there in 2 hi.
Parked up.
Went to move it again to clear some snow and it just had thr hardest time. Granted it's snowed and it was Tha really slippery snow.
4lo - revved. Almost like I was in neutral.
4 hi - weird noise that went with rotation so... is shaft turning?
2hi - had trouble gearing up my driveway with just the slightest incline. I mean really small.
Anyways, other than having someone tell if the shaft is turning how would I tell?

These aren't the manual locking hubs.
Replaced the hub assembly bearings etc 2 or 3 years ago and its not my daily so I imagine the parts are fine. Maybe put on 2,000 miles since.
And I know I did the I stall right, got the Haynes manual and watched a billion YouTubes on how to do it.

Weird thing, when I was in the ditch, I went into 1 and 2 on Transmussio (automatic 700r4) and the shift indicator never came back when I went to all the other gears. But who cares that's just an indicator and has no bearing or influence on if 4x4 works.
N and 4 lo seem hard to shift into. And 4hi I don't get that clunk or any indication that I'm in it...

Does anyone else have this issue?
Did I "burn it out" getting out of that ditched?
I shifted 4x4 either in neutral or park. With foot on brake regardless.
any tips or suggestions on what to look for are welcome

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
have someone watch to see if one of the front tires are spinning when on slick stuff.

Or

With the wheels chocked pull the rear shaft and see if you can move in 4x4.

Or

Pull up to a curb with both fronts try it in 2X, then try in 4 High. Should pop right up in 4x4 but probably not in 2 wheel drive

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Tape a piece of twine to the front driveshaft. Try to move in 2wd if twine winds up your front shaft is spinning. If iit doesnt the diff is effed up or your lockouts if you have them. For that mater you could push it forward in neautral

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ohh thats a good one. ^ but it wont spin because the transfer case wont engage since the linkage is jacked up.
Bet you can move it into 4 wheel by hand.

I'm gonna go with inspect the transfer case linkage. Reckon that's the first thing to look at.

Sry Rick ;)

Last edited:

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Any chance it’s too cold/ wrong lubricant and it’s frozen? Could try throwing in neutral/ up on jack stands and see if they all turn in unison…
Jack stands is annidea.
Too cold is a possibility. Coz when I ditched it. I was coming back from a 40ish mins drive. And when I tried later on it was just to move it to the other end of the driveway to run the snowblower.... it wasn't that long after the drive, however it was cold as hell.
Lubricant... I mean it worked before, but could be okd and need a change. Appreciate it

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
have someone watch to see if one of the front tires are spinning when on slick stuff.

Or

With the wheels chocked pull the rear shaft and see if you can move in 4x4.

Or

Pull up to a curb with both fronts try it in 2X, then try in 4 High. Should pop right up in 4x4 but probably not in 2 wheel drive
I like the curb idea the best.
Or I'll ask the Mrs. To check out the front drive shaft.

Running it in jack stands always scared me. Maybe I watched too much final destination, but I always picture it falling off and driving into the neighbour's house and killing me in the process lol

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Ohh thats a good one. ^ but it wont spin because the transfer case wont engage since the linkage is jacked up.
Bet you can move it into 4 wheel by hand.

I'm gonna go with inspect the transfer case linkage. Reckon that's the first thing to look at.

Sry Rick ;)

True. Linkage would be first thing...
I'm at work now, won't get to look at it again till later in January. When the metal sticks to your hand just touching lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Auto hubs?

If either of the hubs don't lock, you will only have rear wheel drive. They can be very intermittent and temperamental.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh, and if you didn't shift the trans to neutral when you tried 4 low, the transfer case probably was not engaged and still in neutral.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Auto hubs?

If either of the hubs don't lock, you will only have rear wheel drive. They can be very intermittent and temperamental.
I have auto hubs yeah, nkt those manual locking warn hubs I've heard so much about. Just the stick on the floor in the cab

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Oh, and if you didn't shift the trans to neutral when you tried 4 low, the transfer case probably was not engaged and still in neutral.
I'll try the neutral shift then. That could be it coz I did mess aroubdbtonget out of that ditch when I went into it

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
On a completely unrelated side note...
My belt is really really annoying.
The tension feels good I mean I'm sure there's a thread about how to properly check belt tension. And there's a formula.
Anyways.
It used to squeal when running when my glow plugs woukd kick on, and stop when they click off glow plug controller issue. The plugs woukd pull huge amperage from the alternator which woukd cause the squeak. Fixed that issue. Have had peace and quiet since then.
But it's started doing it again. Thought ok, it's cold out there so it'll warm up. And it sorta did stop. (Seemed Tobe less frequent when block heater was plugged in too).
But it's doing it a lot more now and it's driving me wild.
Coz it did itnwhile nice n hot innthe highway.
It seems to be intermittent. It'll be fine and when slowing down and coming to a stop or red light... I set off again and the howl of the banshee begins again.
Or I let off the throttle for a bit to coast, and back on throttle again, and it squeals.

I doubt it's the glow plugs again coz the new controller has been working beautifully with glow plugs. I dont see any dimness in the lights, so no parasitic draw....the batteries aren't even a year old, coz that previous glow plug issue killed my old batteries.
I haven't replaced the belt since I got it 3 years ago. But it also hasn't been my daily at all for those 3 years.

Why is it related to The throttle pedal? Coz it does go away, eventually, and I'm just cruising away, stop sign and squeeealll away as I pull away.
But doesn't happen at everyone. Sometimes might nkt happen for a while drive.

The sound is nails in a chalkboard to me. I'd love to know if you guys got any tips

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Hold up lemme put the M-R Gooodwrench hat on....add a little toonz..every mechanic ever worth a damn listens to Classic Rock
on the radio in the shop or GTFO.
Death metal is for weirdos.

Bob Seger today pliz ,we're playing to the crowd!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ahhhhhh! Now I can fix cars - proper. Nothing like listening to the same 40 songs over the last 40 years to really get the creative juices flowing @ 109 BPM.
:rocking:
You know what I mean, Vern?

You must be registered for see images attach

Belt squeal IS directly tied to throttle in some certain cases like yours , I bet.
ALSO Bet it wasn't squealing when you weren't running the heater.

Conversely NOW, if you turn the fan motor off and reduce the blower motor's amperage draw from the alternator, it won't squeal (again) - no other changes. Also will be squealing much more on hi or 3 - try the 2nd speed fan setting.
Belt squeal comes from the alternator belt I bet. Try tightening that one instead. ;)

Unfortunately, you still are gonna have to crawl under the truck -after chocking the wheels, of course- :rolleyes: and try to manually put the transfer case in 4wd.

If you can but it still won't work? You most likely put the hubs together wrong and didn't pay enough attention to the little nub. That IS the noise (the nub clicking) and it is that hub which has failed. Your hub is likely destroyed and even one billion youtube videos ain't enough. It's real easy to put together wrong and i'm not barking at you. :)

The good news is? Them manual WARNs you're lookin at are pretty reasonably priced. Considering your luck in winter thus far I recommend professional installation.

Take my advice and call a qualified shop to take over. Stop turning the wrenches to spare the truck.
It's cheaper, I promise.

Sound familiar?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

You oughta stop working on it.
It's still DECEMBER.

Thank you Simone.

*takes hat off*
No problem whatsoever.

Last edited:

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Hold up lemme put the M-R Gooodwrench hat on....add a little toonz..every mechanic ever worth a damn listens to Classic Rock
on the radio in the shop or GTFO.
Death metal is for weirdos.

Bob Seger today pliz ,we're playing to the crowd!

Ahhhhhh! Now I can fix cars - proper. Nothing like listening to the same 40 songs over the last 40 years to really get the creative juices flowing @ 109 BPM.
:rocking:
You know what I mean, Vern?

Belt squeal IS directly tied to throttle in some certain cases like yours , I bet.
ALSO Bet it wasn't squealing when you weren't running the heater.

Conversely NOW, if you turn the fan motor off and reduce the blower motor's amperage draw from the alternator, it won't squeal (again) - no other changes. Also will be squealing much more on hi or 3 - try the 2nd speed fan setting.
Belt squeal comes from the alternator belt I bet. Try tightening that one instead. ;)

Unfortunately, you still are gonna have to crawl under the truck -after chocking the wheels, of course- :rolleyes: and try to manually put the transfer case in 4wd.

If you can but it still won't work? You most likely put the hubs together wrong and didn't pay enough attention to the little nub. That IS the noise (the nub clicking) and it is that hub which has failed. Your hub is likely destroyed and even one billion youtube videos ain't enough. It's real easy to put together wrong and i'm not barking at you. :)

The good news is? Them manual WARNs you're lookin at are pretty reasonably priced. Considering your luck in winter thus far I recommend professional installation.

Take my advice and call a qualified shop to take over. Stop turning the wrenches to spare the truck.
It's cheaper, I promise.

Sound familiar?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

You oughta stop working on it.
It's still DECEMBER.

Thank you Simone.

*takes hat off*
No problem whatsoever.

I understood some of those references lol.
Yes. The blower is blowing on high all the time. Cold in Québec! Lol. And i thought of that. But wouldn't that fall under "normal vehicle operation?" I mean I'm using stock blower with stock alternator not asking it to do anything it wasn't built to do?
Yeah, it's old... but yeah I'll give that a shot! Cheers.

Yeah it's possible I installed the hubs wrong anything is possible but I specifically remember those nubs and oriented them correctly. Preloaded the bearing torque, turned back a half turn and torque to spec. I dont remember the torque spec off hand now.
It might have broken? Coz 4x4 worked before that specific incident.
Worth a look anyway.
Lol I enjoy working on it. Of course I want to avoid throwing parts at it as much as possible when not necessary but it's fun. Except when 4x4 doesn't work in a snow drift!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84