4L80e questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So this 4L80e I got rebuilt is supposedly a 93-93 year model. It has a new converter. The wiring harness inside the pan is the new style that I had added to fit my standalone controller harness. My questions are these.

1. There are two connectors on the drivers side. One has to be the speed sensor. Which one is it and what is the other one? Heres a pic. My harness only has one connector and it seems to be the same size as these I just dont know which one. The bottom bigger plug is the main control obviously.

You must be registered for see images attach

2. This transmission has quick connect plug ins for the trans cooler lines. They are also very far apart, much further than my original screw in type lines which are quite close to each other. Should I find some quick connects, and use rubber hose to connect them to my existing lines? Anyone know where I could find such quick connects?
Here is a picture of them.

3. I was informed that my th400 dipstick would not work with this trans. Im assuming I need to find one from a 4L80e equipped truck. ANy idea where to aquire one from?

4. Driveshaft shortening. I measured the 4L80e from tip of bell housing to the end of tailshaft. 31 1/2" (the pic shows it wrong).

Measured the TH400 from tip of bellhousing to end of tailshaft and its 28 1/4". This tells me the driveshaft needs to be shortened (since the 4L80e is longer by 3 1/4")...correct? This is critical because my front driveshaft is not a slip yoke, its bolt in to the trans yoke and then its hard bolted into the frame at the carrier bearing. The rear driveshaft length will not change. As pictured here.

Is this an acceptable way of measuring to get this measurement?

Thank you to anyone who can help.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
well according to the id tag this is a 98 trans which would explain the quick connects

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
the answer to the first question is the connector near the linkage is the input sensor the other sensor located toward the rear is the output sensor use the rear sensor for speedo

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks! So the input is not used?

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
from what i was told no it is not used but looking into other sources wouldnt be a bad idea

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
yes input is used and the output is used for speedo the computer needs both speed sensors not sure why but it will throw codes if the speeds are to out of wack

in 97 the changed the cooler lines like that so it is at the oldest a 97

the tag on the side says the year the picture i posted is a 96

and you can get an cooler line fittings on ebay for 20 bucks the ones pictured are the ones i bought for my 4l80 rebuild

atsg service manual is a good resource for the 4l80 25 bucks on ebay

Attachments

• cooler lines.jpg
    cooler lines.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 137
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads