3-4 harsh shift 4l80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
This is for my 2005 with 6.0 but has anyone had any experience with the 3-4 shift being harsh? I expect the shift to be harsher under a situation such as WOT and letting off the throttle (letting it shift up to 4) but if i take off from a stop and accelerate with 25-50% throttle till it wants to shift to 4 it usually is harsh. warmed up and cold. It still has the TAP values from my step dad owning it (transmission adaptive pressures) and I was going to throw my scan tool on it and clear it so it learns my throttle usage. Maybe he had a lead foot? all other shifts appear fine including downshifts while stabbing the throttle (such as to pass)

I was wondering if anyone with 4l80e experience have had this or can say if its characteristic? Since squares came with 4l80e's in 1991 I put it here lol :)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How harsh? I've got two and they both have a delayed 3-4 shift when cold, along with being slightly more positive feeling. When warmed up, I'd say the 3-4 shift is still slightly more noticeable than the lower gears.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
How harsh? I've got two and they both have a delayed 3-4 shift when cold, along with being slightly more positive feeling. When warmed up, I'd say the 3-4 shift is still slightly more noticeable than the lower gears.
enough that it causes my foot either back off or slam on the accelerator noticably
Its quick tho, I wouldnt describe it as delayed.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
enough that it causes my foot either back off or slam on the accelerator noticably
Its quick tho, I wouldnt describe it as delayed.

Maybe delayed wasn't the best description. It's not a sloppy shift at all, 3rd gear just holds longer.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
This is for my 2005 with 6.0 but has anyone had any experience with the 3-4 shift being harsh? I expect the shift to be harsher under a situation such as WOT and letting off the throttle (letting it shift up to 4) but if i take off from a stop and accelerate with 25-50% throttle till it wants to shift to 4 it usually is harsh. warmed up and cold. It still has the TAP values from my step dad owning it (transmission adaptive pressures) and I was going to throw my scan tool on it and clear it so it learns my throttle usage. Maybe he had a lead foot? all other shifts appear fine including downshifts while stabbing the throttle (such as to pass)

I was wondering if anyone with 4l80e experience have had this or can say if its characteristic? Since squares came with 4l80e's in 1991 I put it here lol :)
Copy paste of my response to your post on gmt400:

Check for codes, issues with other sensors like the throttle pos sensor, MAF or equivalent and clear the adapts as a first step. If that still makes no difference, drop the pan and remove the valve body. Unbolt the accumulator housing and see if you have a broken 3-4 acc spring...also check the 3-4 shift valve for drag. While it's apart, Id install a Sonnax TCC valve, 1-2/2-3 shift valve spring kit and a Central Valve Bodies drop in oversized AFL valve. Those will address common valve body related issues with the 4L80E.

Note that when you drop the valve body, there will be some check balls that will fall out so you'll need to use assembly lube or petroleum jelly to hold in place for reinstallation of the valve body.

Let me know if you plan on doing this and ill link my 4L80E rebuild video here that covers valve body installation.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
resetting the TAPS and driving it mith foot let ups between the 2-3 and 3-4 and I have really frankly not had any hard upshifts. the fluid was changed before as i mentioned and maybe its doing a little cleaning inside? otherweise ive done nothing to it lol. I still need to try to clean the MAF (get a maf code) But .. yeah. when i say smooth i can floor it on a pavement and the 2-3 and 3-4 are smooth

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I would expect slightly delayed shifts when cold. GM programmed the shift characteristics like that for a reason, they want the oxygen sensor and catalytic converter to get to operating temp as quickly as possible.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I would expect slightly delayed shifts when cold. GM programmed the shift characteristics like that for a reason, they want the oxygen sensor and catalytic converter to get to operating temp as quickly as possible.
yes, when cold it defintiely does that but we havent had a lot of cold weather lately but when it was it would

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Ok, that's good. It's right in line with both of my 4L80's. Shifting to 4th definitely takes longer when you drive off cold, and it seems like converter lockup doesn't happen until a certain temp is reached.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ok, that's good. It's right in line with both of my 4L80's. Shifting to 4th definitely takes longer when you drive off cold, and it seems like converter lockup doesn't happen until a certain temp is reached.
the last couple days the temps dropped while at work and it definitely hangs in 3rd and is much more willing to down shift to 3rd from 4th when cold. My trip from work involves a lot of uphill and curves, mild tho not steep, and just the change in load from starting to curve might make it downshift keeping a constant speed
But it wont do that warm

interesting

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
i know the 4l60's in my trucks wont lockup until transfluid hits 75 degrees, not sure if a 80e is programmed the same tho.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
so I took air box lid off to get maf offf..... I was told the air filter should be Fine LOL! This thing is PACKED. How wwas this truck making power?
You must be registered for see images attach

Thats insulation from the firewall, which is almost all gone lol. Mice.

Anyway,.. the MAF i cleaned and it had a lot of dirt on the honey comb and the sensor elements, perhaps poorly sealed filter in housing. Will try driving after new filter lol...

Also,. do you know where this ground strap on the right of the firewall was supposed to go? mine is missing.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
so I took air box lid off to get maf offf..... I was told the air filter should be Fine LOL! This thing is PACKED. How wwas this truck making power?

Thats insulation from the firewall, which is almost all gone lol. Mice.

Anyway,.. the MAF i cleaned and it had a lot of dirt on the honey comb and the sensor elements, perhaps poorly sealed filter in housing. Will try driving after new filter lol...

Also,. do you know where this ground strap on the right of the firewall was supposed to go? mine is missing.

The ground strap used to go to a stud on the hood.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The ground strap used to go to a stud on the hood.
Yeah, wonder why thats gone :O
I decided to just air gun the air filter and wait till tomorrow so i can stop at the store and get a new one and then pick up my scripts. And boy did the truck wake the hell up after cleaning that mAF and the air filter. no idea which was the most, probably the air filter (it was BAD) but the MAF is definitely making it more responsive because i took it for a short spin, got it to temp. It fixed my bank lean codes (for now) and my long term fuel trims are under -3 and below 1 which is considered well in spec for a vehicle. Will give it more time, might reset TAPs again if I notice weird behavior.

Also , I have a camshaft code p0342 for the sensor having no signal when its expecting it to, ive heard connectors can be the problem. anyone know where this is on a 2005 vortec 6.0

also what I assume is my ps oil cooler appears to be pretty rusty and that hose is slipping off. I might replace that since the fluid in the pump is looking gross. I only imagine what that does to hydroboost. can you put an inline filter on the return "output" to the cooler (magnetic) on a hydroboost? Because 160k miles and prob original or basically original Dexron III (Dex VI was yet to be introduced, and Hydroboost definitely was re-spec'ed to GM Power Steering Fluid as was the PS systems)

At least, Im assuimg thats a PS cooler. If its not I dont know what the hell it is lol! Passenger side by rad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1